[HOsteam] Bachman 0-6-0 drivers - Valve Gear

Ken Clark

Rob,
Normally I don't disassembled valve gear, but instead remove it intact. PSC and at one time NWSL and Bowser had replacement rivets available to attach the valve gear to the
frame. It's pretty easy to drill out the back of the rivet attaching the valve gear to the frame. On some models the valve gear hanger and the valve gear are a unit and can be removed with a
couple of screws. If you are modifying the valve gear, It might be easier to buy a valve gear kit and assemble it from the kit instead. Adding a set of drivers to an 0-6-0 to make it a 0-8-0 is a
lot harder than turning an 0-8-0 into an 0-6-0; axle and sid rod spacing are crucial.

Kenneth R. Clark
P.O. Box 212454
Chula Vista, CA 91921

-----Original Message-----
To: HOsteam <HOsteam@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Thu, Jan 24, 2013 10:46 pm
Subject: [HOsteam] Bachman 0-6-0 drivers

Hi there - I normally lurk here, but am getting into a project involving 52" drivers and need some help. Hopefully someone on the list has worked with the Bachman 0-6-0 and taken apart the drivers/axles. I obtained a junk Bachman drive gear and if the drivers are easy enough to use, may obtain another junk model (I'm modelling an 0-8-0). But when I look at the drivers on the model, it lookslike the valve gear is all revited - no obvious screws or nuts. So - does anyone have experience taking these apart and have any advice on how I should go at it?

Thanks in advance,

Rob Kirkham

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

John Hagen

You can get valve gear rivets and a pretty good tool for peening them from yardbridtrains.com

John Hagen

From: HOsteam@yahoogroups.com [mailto:HOsteam@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Kenneth Clark
Sent: Friday, January 25, 2013 12:56 PM
To: HOsteam@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [HOsteam] Bachman 0-6-0 drivers - Valve Gear

Rob,
Normally I don't disassembled valve gear, but instead remove it intact. PSC and at one time NWSL and Bowser had replacement rivets available to attach the valve gear to the
frame. It's pretty easy to drill out the back of the rivet attaching the valve gear to the frame. On some models the valve gear hanger and the valve gear are a unit and can be removed with a
couple of screws. If you are modifying the valve gear, It might be easier to buy a valve gear kit and assemble it from the kit instead. Adding a set of drivers to an 0-6-0 to make it a 0-8-0 is a
lot harder than turning an 0-8-0 into an 0-6-0; axle and sid rod spacing are crucial.

Kenneth R. Clark
P.O. Box 212454
Chula Vista, CA 91921

From: robert_kirkham rdkirkham@live.ca <mailto:rdkirkham%40live.ca> >
To: HOsteam HOsteam@yahoogroups.com <mailto:HOsteam%40yahoogroups.com> >

Hi there - I normally lurk here, but am getting into a project involving 52" drivers and need some help. Hopefully someone on the list has worked with the Bachman 0-6-0 and taken apart the drivers/axles. I obtained a junk Bachman drive gear and if the drivers are easy enough to use, may obtain another junk model (I'm modelling an 0-8-0). But when I look at the drivers on the model, it lookslike the valve gear is all revited - no obvious screws or nuts. So - does anyone have experience taking these apart and have any advice on how I should go at it?

Thanks in advance,

Rob Kirkham

Robert kirkham

I think my message probably gave the wrong idea - my intent is to toss out the valve gear and replace it with something more like my prototype used. Basically I was hoping for advice about how to remove the valve gear, drive rods and axles to free up the drivers without damage to the drivers. But now that I have removed the boiler and cab shell and cover plate from the bottom, I see a pancake motor and the split axles with stub axle mounts cast into the back of the drivers. I was going to toss the pancake motor and frame as well. Now I have my doubts even the drivers are worth harvesting (I'd have some trouble mounting new gears etc.)

So, coming back to Vic's earlier suggestion of using drivers from a Mantua 0-6-0 or 0-4-0, is there a right way to go about those? Do the the drive rods screw on and off, or press fit? And the drivers themselves - press fit or something else?

Two steps back, one step forward . . . about my usual modelling speed.

Thanks in advance for your advice guys!

Rob

Sent: Friday, January 25, 2013 10:55 AM

Rob,

Kenneth R. Clark
P.O. Box 212454
Chula Vista, CA 91921

To: HOsteam HOsteam@yahoogroups.com>

Thanks in advance,

Rob Kirkham

Victor Bitleris

The side rods are kept in place with special siderod screws with a hex head and an 0-80 thread. If you purchase a used Mantua loco, they will come with it. Also, you can get these from Dan at Yardbird Trains.
Depending on what type of frame you will build and too what height of detail you want, you can also use the bearings that come with Mantua. These require drilling a 3/16" diameter hole through the frames and then sawing and filing them out to fit the bearings. Harold Frierson described this very well in the December 1959 Model Railroader. However, if you want the loco highly detailed, you will need to remove the drivers to add special bearings. One side of the Mantua drivers (maybe both?) is splined and if a witness mark is scribed, you can remove the non-insulated driver and put it back on using the witness mark as a guide and be right back in quarter.
Regards,
Vic Bitleris
Raleigh, NC

Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2013 20:38:00 -0800

I think my message probably gave the wrong idea - my intent is to toss out the valve gear and replace it with something more like my prototype used. Basically I was hoping for advice about how to remove the valve gear, drive rods and axles to free up the drivers without damage to the drivers. But now that I have removed the boiler and cab shell and cover plate from the bottom, I see a pancake motor and the split axles with stub axle mounts cast into the back of the drivers. I was going to toss the pancake motor and frame as well. Now I have my doubts even the drivers are worth harvesting (I'd have some trouble mounting new gears etc.)

So, coming back to Vic's earlier suggestion of using drivers from a Mantua 0-6-0 or 0-4-0, is there a right way to go about those? Do the the drive rods screw on and off, or press fit? And the drivers themselves - press fit or something else?

Two steps back, one step forward . . . about my usual modelling speed.

Thanks in advance for your advice guys!

Rob

Sent: Friday, January 25, 2013 10:55 AM

Rob,

Kenneth R. Clark

P.O. Box 212454

Chula Vista, CA 91921

To: HOsteam HOsteam@yahoogroups.com>

Thanks in advance,

Rob Kirkham