To: HOsteam@yahoogroups.com
From: rdkirkham@live.ca
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2013 06:46:24 +0000
Subject: [HOsteam] Bachman 0-6-0 drivers

Hi there - I normally lurk here, but am getting into a project involving 52" drivers and need some help. Hopefully someone on the list has worked with the Bachman 0-6-0 and taken apart the drivers/axles. I obtained a junk Bachman drive gear and if the drivers are easy enough to use, may obtain another junk model (I'm modelling an 0-8-0). But when I look at the drivers on the model, it lookslike the valve gear is all revited - no obvious screws or nuts. So - does anyone have experience taking these apart and have any advice on how I should go at it?

Thanks in advance,

Rob Kirkham

Robert kirkham

Thanks Vic - I have a couple of those locos around too - with good drivers. Are you saying the Bachman drivers are probably not worth the effort?

Rob

From: rdkirkham@live.ca
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2013 06:46:24 +0000

Hi there - I normally lurk here, but am getting into a project involving 52" drivers and need some help. Hopefully someone on the list has worked with the Bachman 0-6-0 and taken apart the drivers/axles. I obtained a junk Bachman drive gear and if the drivers are easy enough to use, may obtain another junk model (I'm modelling an 0-8-0). But when I look at the drivers on the model, it lookslike the valve gear is all revited - no obvious screws or nuts. So - does anyone have experience taking these apart and have any advice on how I should go at it?

Thanks in advance,

Rob Kirkham

Victor Bitleris

That depends. I would think that the Bachmann Spectrum would be nice drivers, but not the older non-Spectrum stuff. I am not sure how easy it is to get the Bachmann Spectrum drivers, They do look really good.
Regards,
Vic Bitleris
Raleigh, NC

To: hosteam@yahoogroups.com
From: rdkirkham@live.ca
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2013 07:01:44 -0800

From: rdkirkham@live.ca
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2013 06:46:24 +0000

Hi there - I normally lurk here, but am getting into a project
involving 52" drivers and need some help. Hopefully someone on the list
has worked with the Bachman 0-6-0 and taken apart the drivers/axles. I
obtained a junk Bachman drive gear and if the drivers are easy enough to
use, may obtain another junk model (I'm modelling an 0-8-0). But when I
look at the drivers on the model, it lookslike the valve gear is all
revited - no obvious screws or nuts. So - does anyone have experience
taking these apart and have any advice on how I should go at it?

Thanks in advance,

Rob Kirkham

Links

John Hagen

Go to the Bachmann website. They do list available parts there for various
locos. If the driver are available they come As a set. So if you are looking
for drivers for a three axle loco and the Bachmann only has them for a four
axle loco you have to buy the four axle set. No big deal as their prices are
very low; the last set I looked up was for a four axle loco and the cost was
about that of one axle set from Greenway.

And if the part isn't listed as available you can still put in a call to
their parts line. However I believe you must be persistent as the one time I
did so, they were "busy" and Calvin the computer took a message and my phone
number, which they never used. So I never got my answer but I did not pursue
the matter as I came up with a different method of doing what I was trying
to do.

Vic, I never noticed any Mantua drivers being splined. That said I never
removed the insulated driver from it's axle. Anytime I need to remove a
driver I always choose the un-insulated side.

John Hagen

From: rdkirkham@live.ca <mailto:rdkirkham%40live.ca>
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2013 06:46:24 +0000

Hi there - I normally lurk here, but am getting into a project
involving 52" drivers and need some help. Hopefully someone on the list
has worked with the Bachman 0-6-0 and taken apart the drivers/axles. I
obtained a junk Bachman drive gear and if the drivers are easy enough to
use, may obtain another junk model (I'm modelling an 0-8-0). But when I
look at the drivers on the model, it lookslike the valve gear is all
revited - no obvious screws or nuts. So - does anyone have experience
taking these apart and have any advice on how I should go at it?

Thanks in advance,

Rob Kirkham

Links

Robert kirkham

interesting information John. I've been to the Bachman web site (http://www.bachmanntrains.com) but am not finding a parts catalogue or selection. Any tips?

Rob

From: rdkirkham@live.ca
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2013 06:46:24 +0000

Hi there - I normally lurk here, but am getting into a project
involving 52" drivers and need some help. Hopefully someone on the list
has worked with the Bachman 0-6-0 and taken apart the drivers/axles. I
obtained a junk Bachman drive gear and if the drivers are easy enough to
use, may obtain another junk model (I'm modelling an 0-8-0). But when I
look at the drivers on the model, it lookslike the valve gear is all
revited - no obvious screws or nuts. So - does anyone have experience
taking these apart and have any advice on how I should go at it?

Thanks in advance,

Rob Kirkham

Yahoo! Groups
Links

Robert kirkham

never mind - found the parts section.

Rob

From: rdkirkham@live.ca
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2013 06:46:24 +0000

Hi there - I normally lurk here, but am getting into a project
involving 52" drivers and need some help. Hopefully someone on the list
has worked with the Bachman 0-6-0 and taken apart the drivers/axles. I
obtained a junk Bachman drive gear and if the drivers are easy enough to
use, may obtain another junk model (I'm modelling an 0-8-0). But when I
look at the drivers on the model, it lookslike the valve gear is all
revited - no obvious screws or nuts. So - does anyone have experience
taking these apart and have any advice on how I should go at it?

Thanks in advance,

Rob Kirkham

Yahoo! Groups
Links

John Hagen

From the home page, select "Parts, Service & Information" then clock on
"order Parts." That will bring up a list on the left. Click "HO Parts" then
select what engine you want to order parts for. For 0-6-0 tender engine you
will for the drive wheel assy. listed for $12.00. That includes the three
axles with wheels, side and main roads and the crosshead.

http://estore.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=product_info
<http://estore.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=66_
68_155&products_id=859> &cPath=66_68_155&products_id=859

John Hagen

From: rdkirkham@live.ca <mailto:rdkirkham%40live.ca>
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2013 06:46:24 +0000

Hi there - I normally lurk here, but am getting into a project
involving 52" drivers and need some help. Hopefully someone on the list
has worked with the Bachman 0-6-0 and taken apart the drivers/axles. I
obtained a junk Bachman drive gear and if the drivers are easy enough to
use, may obtain another junk model (I'm modelling an 0-8-0). But when I
look at the drivers on the model, it lookslike the valve gear is all
revited - no obvious screws or nuts. So - does anyone have experience
taking these apart and have any advice on how I should go at it?

Thanks in advance,

Rob Kirkham

Yahoo! Groups
Links

John Hagen

Okay, that does not work the best. For some reason the link I posted turned
into two links. The top link doesn't work and the bottom is on two lines
which have to be put together to make it complete.

Or use this link from tinyurl.com

http://tinyurl.com/bfdrdj9

You will have to copy and paste it into your browser but it get you to the
driver set.

From: rdkirkham@live.ca <mailto:rdkirkham%40live.ca>
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2013 06:46:24 +0000

Hi there - I normally lurk here, but am getting into a project
involving 52" drivers and need some help. Hopefully someone on the list
has worked with the Bachman 0-6-0 and taken apart the drivers/axles. I
obtained a junk Bachman drive gear and if the drivers are easy enough to
use, may obtain another junk model (I'm modelling an 0-8-0). But when I
look at the drivers on the model, it lookslike the valve gear is all
revited - no obvious screws or nuts. So - does anyone have experience
taking these apart and have any advice on how I should go at it?

Thanks in advance,

Rob Kirkham

Yahoo! Groups
Links

Roger T

interesting information John. I've been to the Bachman web site (http://www.bachmanntrains.com) but am not finding a parts catalogue or selection. Any tips?
Top left hand corner of the website. "Online Product Catalog."

Cheers..

Roger Traviss

Photos of the late HO scale GER: -

http://www.greateasternrailway.com

For more photos not in the above album and kitbashes etc..:-
http://s94.photobucket.com/albums/l99/rogertra/Great_Eastern/