Topics

Hello

Leonello Pesce <leo@...>

Hello to all to this new steam list.

I would like first to present myself to the list. I am
an HO modeler, Southern Pacific late steam early diesel
era. I am very fascinated by steam engines in general, but
only from a model point of view, more than the actual
working ones. This is because I like to watch them while
running on the main, or just seating at the facilities.

The main reason for liking SP steam so much is their particular
look they have, especially in the later part of steam.

But I also like other specific steam engines from other
RR or even countries, like Germany and Italy.

I do own a number of SP engines in brass, most old (the good
runners) and some new (the good lookers). I have changed
motors to can in a few, and other I no longer own.
I do work on engines from embers of the club in Menlo Park
(West Bay Model RR) and from a store I work one day a week.
Mostly cleaning and lubing, including open frame motors.
(some engines I got were very frozen for being stored for
years in their boxes; and do not get me started on the foam
being everywhere in the engine)

The question of the day I guess is about the new two engines
about to hit the market from Athearn and Bachmann. The first
is a 2-8-2 USRA and the second is a 4-8-2 (USRA?)

Is this a trend of good things to come?

Anybody has seen either one yet?
Any comments?

Cheers
Leo
Leonello Pesce support@sco.com
SCO Tech Support http://www.sco.com
100 Pioneer, Santa Cruz, CA, 95061 (408) 425-4726

Thomas Beutel <Thomas.Beutel@...>

Hi Leo,

I joining this list too because I'm a fan of steam (SP in particular). Here
are the URL's to the two locomotives:

http://www.athearn.com/282.html
http://www.bachmanntrains.com/bachmann/new/lightmountain.html

It is encouraging to notice that Bachmann points out of their removable
domes. It means they are (finally) aware that modelers like to modify their
locos. I certainly hope that Athearn's model will also have removable domes.
Any thoughts on kitbashes for these two locos?

Soundtraxx recently announced a plug-and-play DCC sound decoder for the
Bachmann 2-8-0 that includes the speaker on the decoder board. Let's hope
that it will fit in these two locos. It should since the tenders are so
similar.

I hope this is all a sign of good things to come. It has always seemed
strange to me that the model railroad market in Europe could support so many
fine mass market steam loco models, while our market did not. Let's hope
that has changed.

Regards,
Thomas Beutel
San Francisco

[...]

Did you know that knowledge is power?
http://www.ONElist.com
Join a new ONElist e-mail community and strengthen your mind!

Elden Baker <eldenbaker@...>

--- Leonello Pesce <leo@sco.COM> wrote:

The question of the day I guess is about the new two
engines
about to hit the market from Athearn and Bachmann.
The first
is a 2-8-2 USRA and the second is a 4-8-2 (USRA?)

Is this a trend of good things to come?
Leo,

I hope its trend starting. I haven't seen either of these engines but,
they did pick a good model to be the first release. I'm hoping to pick
up the Athearn unit when its available. I'll do a "product review" as
soon as I do.

Talk to you later
Elden

Nelson Kennedy <nelsonk@...

From: Elden Baker <eldenbaker@yahoo.com>
... responding to Leo re new Genesis and Spectrum releases

I hope its trend starting. I haven't seen either of these engines but,
they did pick a good model to be the first release. I'm hoping to pick
up the Athearn unit when its available. I'll do a "product review" as
soon as I do.

But.....but...... SP didn't have these USRA types (mumble mumble)

What do you reckon Leo - might they be candidates for some sort of
conversion to SP types?

Nelson Kennedy, Christchurch, New Zealand
Ferrymead Trams, 0 gauge NZR trains and a little Espee H0 are at:
http://DownUnder.Railfan.net

Stefan <stefan@...>

From: Thomas Beutel <Thomas.Beutel@efi.com>
It is encouraging to notice that Bachmann points out of their removable
domes. It means they are (finally) aware that modelers like to modify their
locos. I certainly hope that Athearn's model will also have removable domes.
Any thoughts on kitbashes for these two locos?
Regarding the Bachmann URL,
If you look carefully at the photo (though small) it seems that the taper
in the boiler is not very great thereby possibly making it a better
candidate for more kitbashes. I'm not sure about the glowing firebox idea
though! it does seem that we are finally catching up to the Europeans who
have had a fine selection for many years.
Best regards

Stefan Lerche'
Duncan, B.C. Canada

keith@...

On Fri, 30 Apr 1999 11:16:54 +1200, you wrote:>

But.....but...... SP didn't have these USRA types (mumble mumble)
Um, well, there is going to be a Missouri Pacific. Is that close
enough?

...Keith

If it ain't pulled by steam, it ain't a real train.

KenRClark@...

HO steam modelers,
It is unfortunate when a group of individuals or club decides that a model
has no potential before it is released. Even more unfortunate is that the
same model has convinced a brass importer that HO steam has limited potential
for low cost models and to look elsewhere for sales. I talked yesterday with
Sunset Models, because of the Athearn genesis model, they will not be doing
their next planned models the USRA 2-8-2s. I can't say I am surprised. It
seems they are stepping away from the HO scale field again, so don't expect
their announced SP AC-9s to appear anytime soon. If they had been as well
done as their F-3/4/5s they would have been a very desirable model.
Admittedly I have not purchased any of the new state of the art articulateds
recently imported, as much due to price (they cost more than what a Sunset
AC-6 would have cost me in "O" scale) as to my satisfaction with the more
rugged mechanisms of the older Japanese models.
As far as the USRA light 2-8-2 model goes, some Western roads did not
operate close copies of this generic engines, including "up" and WP.
Comparing pictures of the El Paso and Southwestern mikes to the USRA engines
show a similar boiler silhouette, and they originally had rectangular
tenders. I don't expect to find a reasonably priced model of such obscure
engines, but they became SP classes Mk-7/8/9 (25 total) and the Athearn model
gives a shot and a representative model. I suppose I could kitbash a couplt
of the W&R mikes and come as close, but throwing away major parts of $1200
models hurts more than discarding some parts of a $120 model.

ken clark

Leonello Pesce <leo@...>

Hi Nelson, and all,

Well .... at the club we pretty much decided that the Athearn
Mikado does not have potential, even by just getting the
bottom part and scrap the top. Tender is for the junk box.

For the Mountain, we have not seen it, just the info from
the Bachmann site and the poor pictures I have see so far.
It is a light USRA, so this also may not be a candidate
for SP. Now if it was a Heavy, that would be different.

Of course, both were part of a number of eastern RR and with
some minor modifications one can model a good number of RR.
Not being an eastern expert, I stop here.

Cheers
Leo

From: Nelson Kennedy <nelsonk@chch.planet.org.nz>

But.....but...... SP didn't have these USRA types (mumble mumble)

What do you reckon Leo - might they be candidates for some sort of
conversion to SP types?

Leonello Pesce <leo@...>

Yes, and check out the following company: Weinert

They have a web site at http://www.weinert.net

Some amazing steam engine kits.

Cheers
Leo

PS. engines are German steam, not USA or others.

From: "Stefan" <stefan@seaside.net>
<snip>
though! it does seem that we are finally catching up to the Europeans who
have had a fine selection for many years.
Best regards

Stefan Lerche'

Leonello Pesce <leo@...>

Sorry Ken, but my comment was specific to SP (and possibly WP and ATSF),
not in general.

I am sure that the engine will be bought and run at the club anyway,
with Southern Pacific on its coal tender, and maybe even in Daylight
colors. We have a member that has a GG1 in Daylight colors.

Besides, one can always make a "plausible" model out of it. If it
looks right, it is enough for some.

Cheers
Leo

From: KenRClark@aol.com

HO steam modelers,
It is unfortunate when a group of individuals or club decides that a
model
has no potential before it is released. Even more unfortunate is that the
<snip>

ken clark

John Wilson <jackwils@...>

Hi, All!

Some time ago I attempted to generate some interest on the <espee list> for a
plastic Vandy tender or two for us SP guys who can't fford or do not want to
spend the big bucks for so-so brass.

I for one, after years of wanting, have accepted the Bachman Consolidation with
open arms. Any 1930-1950 era SP layout needs a bunch of good running 2-8-0s but
all we got were mikes and consol's that looked terrible and ran worse.

My Bachmans needed some major work (especially for DCC) but are a heck of a lot
better than nothing. With a couple of Rivarossi 4-8-8-2's, some "War babys" and
2-8-0 s, I can present a reasonable approximation of my Tehachapai layout of
the '39-44 era.

Now, if I could just find some good plastic Vandy tenders, I could probably use
at least one or two of the Athern units and hope for more.

Jack Wilson, Prescott, AZ