Harriman steam

"Ashley Rachel Pollard" <Ashley@...

-----original message-----

From: "Walt Gay" <waltrail@erols.com>
Subject: Re: New Products rumour mill

I heard "Big Boy"!??
A "Big Boy". Men <g>. Surely big engines need big layouts, therefore what is
needed are smaller engines, because you need more of them. ;_)

[snip]

From: "Nelson Kennedy" <nelsonk@chch.planet.org.nz>

D&S Hobbies are predicting the announcement of a comprehensive range of new
quality steam locos by the end of October. http://onerrave.com

Put that alongside P2K's statement that they will make a major product
announcement at the Chicago bash in October and imaginations start to work
overtime!

Now, if only they could look at doing some Harriman types instead of yet
more USRA types .... well, I can dream, can't I? At least Harriman types
would be suitable for several roads ...... we'll see.

BTW, does anyone know of a web article telling of how to bash a more or
less acceptable SP C9 from a Spectrum Consolidation?
Harriman types would also be my cup of tea. I'm resigning myself to either
extensive kitbashing, or brass for the locomotive roster I want. though it
has to be said I don't need many locomotives, five all told. These things
are relative, but building five engines is a fairly big undertaking in my
mind.

Let alone of course scratchbuilding all the traction units I want as well.

So is there an article on kitbashing the Spectrum Consolidation into a
Harriman one? Has anyone got a copy of the article about improving the MDC
Consolidation kit?
--
Ashley Rachel Pollard
Ashley@apnix.demon.co.uk

Aidrian Bridgeman-Sutton <a.bs@...>

Hi Ashley and other denizens of the list.

The subject of Harriman engines got discussed on the SMRF list a while
ago. The modeller's of South Eastern lines got a big boost with USRA
types mentioned, and I think that a selection of Harriman types could
be the next logical step. Besides the clearly Harrriman roads, which
in my area of interest were the Central of Georgia and the Illinois
Central, several other lines had Harriman derived engines.

The Harriman Mikado would be a particularly useful choice, though as
time went by these varied in appearance as much as the USRA engines
did. For those with an SP/UP bias these would be sure to be handy
engines.

IIRC you are doing Santa Rosa in the 20's.

All I can offer here is a few ideas that may help.

1. The issue of converting the Bachmann consol is something I have
looked into. As you'll be aware it's an IC engine in most respects,
and I have succesfully converted one to this configuration using an
MDC vanderbilt tender and litlte else except styrene strip sheet and
rod

As such, it's considerably bigger than the Common Standard engines and
this may be a problem - but the IC engines were effectively Harriman
engines on steroids. You'll find some decription of the sort of work
needed to produce the IC version on the MRF archives. They are
searchable and there's a link to them under the mailing list pages at
http://smrf.railfan.net - search on "IC consol" when you get to the
archives.

This sort of conversion would produce a look-alike sort of
engine,though I'm inclined to think that the compomises in size and
therefore appearance may sit a little oddly with the rest of the
layout.

2. MDC do a "Harriman Style" ten-wheeler and Atlantic as well as the
consol. I've not run a ruler over one, so I can't comment on these
models' accuracy or otherwise, but the ten wheeler looks generally
about right, though in need of detailing. The Atlantic looks less
convincing- it really lacks the high stepping look of the original,
though rewheeling it might be the answer here.

I don't have the article on the cxonsol conversion handy, but you
shoulld be able to find the reference from the magazine index at
www.accurail.com - the magazines or photocopies of the article can
generally be obtained fom the publisher, or via the NMRA library.

HTH

Aidrian