Flat can with a long shaft.

locoi1sa

Jon.
The strong magnetic field inside a non ferrous metal tube creates eddy currents that reacts with the magnets and the magnetized armature. Here is the Wikipedia definition. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lenz%27s_law
Here is a non Youtube video. http://www.wimp.com/copperpipe/
The magnets I had used were the strongest you can buy in there size. Little did I know I would have such trouble with them. They even pulled the spikes out of my test track. No wonder I had such trouble working with them.
Pete

locoi1sa

Here's the latest.

I was going with a Loksound version 4 with PRR steam sounds but life and unexpected expenses took all my hobby $ away. So for now it has a TCS T1 decoder in the tender with the 9 pin JST plug. The old open frame motor gave me some fits. I had thought the bigger and more powerful magnets would be better but it turned out not to be the case. I ended up using four N42 1/8 inch thick 1/4x1/2 inch. The N54 5/16 x 5/8 doubled was too much. Now that it is altogether it draws .045 amp at full speed and .001 amp on speed step one. I wired the headlight with a 1.5 volt grain of wheat with a 480 ohm resistor. The drivers were checked for quarter and the loco has a good lube and cleaning. It is surprisingly quiet for an open worm drive. I could not ask for a better running loco such as this one. When some extra cash comes my way the sound decoder will be an easy instal.

Pete