Topics

End of the Road for Yahoo Groups

SP4149

Beginning December 15, 2020 the Yahoo Groups website will shut down and members will no longer be able to send or receive emails from Yahoo Groups. We've compiled a comprehensive FAQ here that includes alternative providers and information on how this will impact your group content.

Thank you for helping us build one of the earliest digital communities — we're proud and honored to have forged countless connections over the last 20 years and played a small part in helping build your communities.

Sincerely,
The Yahoo Groups team

ken clark

www.shastasprings.com

HO and Sn42

Ed

Hi Ken --

I am sad to say that this means I will no longer be able to access this collective wisdom after Dec 15. It's a choice I make because of my firm opposition to Facebook and Google and all their spawn. I treasure my privacy -- shoveling against the tide -- in this era of Orwellian data harvesting, hacking vulnerability and cyber crime.

They say we can still "group" via Facebook groups or GMail groups but I don't do anything Google nor the evil Facebook. I browse via Firefox not Chrome or even Edge and I search via Duck Duck Go not Google. With my Firefox privacy settings set to stun and armed with Privacy Badger anti-tracking widget, I know I sound like a senile grandpa yelling at the kids to get off my lawn but if so, so be it.

I really do appreciate the tips, wisdom, ideas and good cheer that these groups have provided but now on a fixed income, I'm trying to cut subscriptions not add them these days.

With apologies for the rant and thanks for all your help, I will raise a glass of champagne to y'all on December 15!

God Bless,
Ed aka "Grandpa"

On Monday, October 12, 2020, 05:22:37 PM EDT, SP4149 <ken@...> wrote:

Beginning December 15, 2020 the Yahoo Groups website will shut down and members will no longer be able to send or receive emails from Yahoo Groups. We've compiled a comprehensive FAQ here that includes alternative providers and information on how this will impact your group content.

Thank you for helping us build one of the earliest digital communities — we're proud and honored to have forged countless connections over the last 20 years and played a small part in helping build your communities.

Sincerely,
The Yahoo Groups team

ken clark

www.shastasprings.com

HO and Sn42

SP4149

Ed,

My lists all transferred to goups.io from Yahoo Groups two years ago.   At that time I suspended message posting on the YG lists and all members continued to posting on the new lists on groups.io.

  I was planning on closing down and deleting the dormant lists on YG the end of the year.  This was to discourage attempts to resurrect the old list name instead of migrating to groups.io

Now I won't have to do that extra work as YG will be gone before the end of the year.

In the meantime groups.io is still going strong, expanding to a second mail server for enhanced service and to reduce the errant spam messaging.  My lists are free lists so still ne need yet for paid

subscriptions and all the archives from the old YG list were transferred two years ago.  You responded on the new list, you are still good to go.  No change.

You will see consternation among those who clung to the corpse of the YG lists all this time.  They missed the chance to transfer to groups.io, actually several chances.  It seems to be a sign of the time that

no matter what the subject a large number refuse to believe, even after the fact.  A year after YG purged the archives, some YG faithful still think that they can be copied to a new list.

We're on groups.io, two years past the wailing at the YG demise.

ken clark

www.shastasprings.com

On 2020-10-13 14:23, Ed Triolo wrote:

Hi Ken --

[...]

Larry Blanchard

On 10/13/20 2:23 PM, Ed via groups.io wrote:
I am sad to say that this means I will no longer be able to access this collective wisdom after Dec 15. It's a choice I make because of my firm opposition to Facebook and Google and all their spawn

Did you not see the possible choice of groups.io before you got your knickers in a twist ?  That's where most of my other Yahoo groups wound up.

Doug Harris

On 14/10/2020 10:23, Ed via groups.io wrote:
Hi Ken --
I am sad to say that this means I will no longer be able to access this collective wisdom after Dec 15. It's a choice I make because of my firm opposition to Facebook and Google and all their spawn. I treasure my privacy -- shoveling against the tide -- in this era of Orwellian data harvesting, hacking vulnerability and cyber crime.
With apologies for the rant and thanks for all your help, I will raise a glass of champagne to y'all on December 15!
Ed aka "Grandpa"
Hi Ed and all.

This is somewhat off core, but very relevant to our members and groups.

I have the same real distaste for Faceache - wouldn't touch them with a sterilised teenager, but Google is a great, wide-field assistance and advisory on any topic you care to name. Very, very useful and ultra inexpensive.. And you can control them.

In fact in the number of years which I have been using them, they have never missed providing an answer for me, on anything. That was, until last night when I queried a Dave Brubeck concert in Germany around 1960 to find information on the person to whom the concert was apparently dedicated. They *admitted* that they could not find *any* information!

(I hitchhiked 200 miles to hear Dave in Wellington, New Zealand about 1962, and I actually shook hands with him after the concert! Sorry - but how's that's really off- topic!)

OK - back to my overnight train groups and emails.. And Thanks Auditor..

(Firefox is great, too..)

--
Cheers.
--------

Ed

Ken --

As you and several others have pointed out --some more kindly than others -- Groups.io remains unaffected. While I was aware (vaguely now remember ;) that you had shifted RePower Regear away from Yahoo Groups, somehow my tiny ferret brain was under the impression that .io was still a Yahoo entity and would thus no longer be available after Dec 15. I suppose my confusion may have arisen from the fact that while I have posted and replied sometimes after logging in to the group and threads, most of my reading and replying is via my Yahoo email account. Do I understand incorrectly that after Dec 15, group posts will no longer appear as eMails? If so, that's OK for me.

Anyway, glad to know these groups I find so valuable go on unaffected.

And many thanks for taking the trouble and time to set me straight!

All the best,
Ed

On 2020-10-13 14:23, Ed Triolo wrote:

Hi Ken --

[...]

Pete Steinmetz

Ed AKA Grandpa:

You are replying on Groups.io on your dreaded Google.  Hope your ID is still intact and nobody has stolen your identity or your first born.

By the way, there is much more action on the Facebook model railroad groups than on the groups.io.

Pete Steinmetz

Larry Blanchard

On 10/14/20 5:43 PM, Pete Steinmetz wrote:

By the way, there is much more action on the Facebook model railroad groups than on the groups.io.

Personally, while those groups may be fine, Facebook is still one of the biggest enablers of misinformation ever invented.  I refuse to support them in any way, and encourage others to do the same.

Wayne Long

On 10/15/2020 1:36 PM, Larry Blanchard via groups.io wrote:
On 10/14/20 5:43 PM, Pete Steinmetz wrote:

By the way, there is much more action on the Facebook model railroad groups than on the groups.io.

Personally, while those groups may be fine, Facebook is still one of the biggest enablers of misinformation ever invented.  I refuse to support them in any way, and encourage others to do the same.

How true!   They censor what they don't like.

Wayne

Pete Steinmetz

Guys:

About Facebook.  Just stating a fact that there is more model train action than there is on Groups.io.  I'm not endorsing FB.   They are run and managed by a bunch of horses asses. I have managed to keep most of their BS off my feed, so FB modeling is an enjoyable experience for me.

If you don't like FB, no need to reply.

Happy modeling,

Pete Steinmetz