Topics

Decision Time For HO Steam - Poll

Ken Clark

All,

  I have been list owner for over ten years, during that time discussions have slowly dies off or moved to other groups like DCC or Repowering or RR specific.  Below are the yearly message counts for this list:

2018  -1

2017  -13

2016  -22

2015  -29

2014  -19

2013  -85

2012  -62

2011  -105

2010  -82

I am list owner/moderator for two YahooGroups lists.  I moved the other larger and more active list (RepowerAndRegear) to groups.io last month.  There was widespread concern over the failing YG lists file structure and management functions.  Owners and members would be locked out of photos, files, messages, and memberships for up to a week or more.  I joined the GroupManagers Forum on YahooGroups and can report there is no commitment to YG lists future,only that there will be a notice prior to shut down.  Moving the list when YG implodes will not be possible.  So far we are enjoying our new home on groups.io

Now is the time to discuss the future of this group of over 500 members.  I can easily (at the moment) move the list to groups.io, the message archives, files and photos will be copied over there.  All members of this YG list will become members of the new groups.io list; members will have to do nothing receive e-mails.  The only thing that will not be copied is your Yahoo password; to access the groups.io website you will need a groups.io password.  There is only one groups.io password for all groups.io lists; if you already have one from another groups.io list membership, you are good to go.  Otherwise follow the instructions to create a new groups.io password.

Please consider the choices of this poll.  There are other location choices like Facebook Groups and Google Groups that are not listed, because I wouldn't move the list there; it would have to be done by a new owner.

About every two weeks YG lists suffer another file/database shutdown; it's very noticeable on very active lists.

IT's Decision Time...

ken clark

prgm_mgr

HI Ken

I agree. a move seems like a good idea. A couple of other groups I'm in have done so already

Mark

Ken Clark

So far 4 list members have voted to move the list, out of the 4 who voted.
Less than 1% of the members, maybe the messages aren't getting to all members
and no one has complained.

Since it costs nothing for a free groups.io list, I created HO-Steam as the
destination list on groups.io

The next step is to invite the transfer agent  transfer@groups.io to join HOSteam@YG
list.  When this was attempted, YG issued an error code.  YG appears to be doing this for
attempts at inviting transfer@groups.io
The result has been hundreds of duplicate invitations flooding groups.io

groups.io insist to ignore the error message and be patient.  It has been two days and the invitation
has not been accepted; there may be more problems with group transfers than have been discussed.
This is preliminary setup work that must be done before a request to transfer (copy) the list
database to groups.io can be sent.  If transfer@groups.io cannot become a member, then other
options for the future of the group will need to be discussed.

ken clark