Bachmann mountain

Leonello Pesce <leo@...>

Hello all,

during last month thread, there was a number of compliments about
Bachman and their new Mountain.

I would like to include my recent experiences about the engines.

I work one day a week (Saturdays) in a hobby shop, in the RR dpt.
Hence I get to play with a lot of new stuff. This include the
Mountain from Spectrum.

We opened two boxes for demo purposes and found the first to
run as expected, just like the various comments made in this
thread.

The second one I suspect, was a lemon. As soon as we put it on the
tracks, and gave voltage, it started down the track bucking and
making loud noises. Upon inspection, I found the last driver out
of quarter.

So I started to disassemble the engine. Now, I opened and pulled
apart many types of steam model engines, but I could not pull
this one apart. It seems Bachman implemented the classic chinese
puzzle. I was able to open the bottom plate and manually re-quarter
the driver. Solved that problem, The engine still growled.

I suspect at this point a bad gear somewhere between the motor and
the main driver.

What has been the experience of people on this list in opening this
engine? I would be interested in how it is done and what are the
steps.

I must note that I never had to open the Consolidation for fixing
anything (Bachman got this one right, but is it just an anomaly?).

Cheers
Leo

"Nelson Kennedy" <nelsonk@...

It is interesting that ECMR are advertising a cut price Spectrum Mountain in
their list this week and they describe it as a 'growler'.

Is this a growing trend? Ot have we discovered where you work, Leo? :-)

Nelson Kennedy
Christchurch, New Zealand.
Ferrymead Trams, NZR 0 gauge trains and a little Espee in H0 are at
http://downunder.railfan.net

Leonello Pesce <leo@...>

Isn't that a coincidence. 8-0

It would not be past Bachman to put out something when the
expectation was so high, that it just fizzled. After all,
it takes more than just one engine to break a reputation,
especially Bachman's.

I seem to be a bit harsh on them, but considering the
quality a lot of other companies are achieving, there could
have been a lot more done, and I think again they are missing
the boat. Of course it is easy to criticize, and they should
be commended for the effort. I think it has been said in
previous emails that compared to the previous plastic steam
offerings, this is a whole new level of quality.

Can you imagine if Roco would come out with an USRA themselves?
OK, the price would be twice Bachman's, but ... I am salivating
just thinking about it. In fact, I am surprised Kato has not
followed up to their N scale Mikado into HO.

It would be interesting if someone would come up with a replacement
frame/running gear for this Mountain, because the superstructure
is very nice. It does not compare to, say, Roco, but still, it
is nice.

Anyway, I am starting to mumble. It has been a long day at work
for me, and I am going home.

Till tomorrow

Cheers
Leo

From: "Nelson Kennedy" <nelsonk@chch.planet.org.nz>

It is interesting that ECMR are advertising a cut price Spectrum Mountain
in
their list this week and they describe it as a 'growler'.

Is this a growing trend? Ot have we discovered where you work, Leo? :-)

Nelson Kennedy

Thomas Beutel <Thomas.Beutel@...>

Hi All,

I just received my version in Southern Pacific yesterday. The engine
does look great, although a bit small for SP. I'm toying with the idea
of adding a skyline casing to turn it into a 7/8-length MT class engine. ;-)

Anyway, the running characteristics are not what I hoped. Going forward
it growls slightly, and in reverse it growls loudly. Well at least
it wasn't the other way around! Since I will be running it forward, mostly,
I think I can live with it.

The problem that I'm seeing is that the engine stalls frequently. The
strange
part is that when it stalls, it is still in electrical contact. The
headlight
and the firebox are lit, just brighter. What gives? I suspect that there is
either a loose connector to the motor, or the motor has a bad brush.
I guess I'll have to open it up.

By the way, I'm not convinced that the new drive mechanism is any better
than just having a normal gear tower. Historically, Bachmann sure has gone
to great lengths to design weird drive trains. Even Rivarossi did better
when
they redesigned drive trains on their articulateds. Why does
Bachmann continue to buck conventional wisdom?

Thomas Beutel
San Francisco
Redwoods and Pacific RR
http://www.io.com/~fano2472/rprrhome.html

It is interesting that ECMR are advertising a cut price Spectrum Mountain in
their list this week and they describe it as a 'growler'.

Is this a growing trend? Ot have we discovered where you work, Leo? :-)

Nelson Kennedy
Christchurch, New Zealand.
Ferrymead Trams, NZR 0 gauge trains and a little Espee in H0 are at
http://downunder.railfan.net

Jack Wilson <jackwils@...>

Am I missing something here?

I always figured if something is not right out of the box, return it.

I'm no particular Bachman fan, but if we do not return things and let them know
when we aren't happy with the product, then shame on us!
==

From: Thomas Beutel <Thomas.Beutel@efi.com> {snip}
the running characteristics are not what I hoped. Going forward
it growls slightly, and in reverse it growls loudly. Well at least
it wasn't the other way around! Since I will be running it forward, mostly,
I think I can live with it
The problem that I'm seeing is that the engine stalls frequently. The
strange part is that when it stalls, it is still in electrical contact. The
headlight and the firebox are lit, just brighter. What gives? I suspect that
there is either a loose connector to the motor, or the motor has a bad brush.
I guess I'll have to open it up.{snip}
Thomas Beutel
--
Jack Wilson
Prescott, AZ

"Nelson Kennedy" <nelsonk@...

From: Jack Wilson <jackwils@cableone.net>

Am I missing something here?

I always figured if something is not right out of the box, return it.

I'm no particular Bachman fan, but if we do not return things and let
them know
when we aren't happy with the product, then shame on us!
I'm not sure it is as black and white as that. I agree with your sentiment
and we should certainly tell our suppliers/manufacturers if things are not
right. In practical terms it is not just as simple as that for some of us.
If I buy a product which is not quite right, and have waited 6 to 8 weeks
for a slow boat to get it to me from the US, then I am not likely to be
very happy about sending it back and waiting for it to do a round trip that
might take another three months if there os a known quick fix that I can do
myself. For me, in a comparatively isolated place, where I often have to
buy sight unseen, the 'net has proven to be a boon for the exchange of
helpful information about products and their strengths and weaknesses. I
say 'keep the information coming' *and* tell your supplier/manufacturer if
something is not right.

Nelson Kennedy
Christchurch, New Zealand.
Ferrymead Trams, NZR 0 gauge trains and a little Espee in H0 are at
http://downunder.railfan.net

Thomas Beutel <Thomas.Beutel@...>

Nelson and Jack,

Another thought to add is that in some cases, you only have one shot at
getting a particular loco if it is a limited production run (Proto 2000
E-6's come to mind - the City of San Francisco models were sold out in a few
days). Of course, this certainly was not the case for the Bachmann model.

As a post script, I did fix the intermittent stall problem without opening
up the engine. It turns out that I had not pushed the connector from the
tender in all the way... The growling does not make me comfortable, but it
is not any worse that any number of brass steam locos that I have. For me
the 4-8-2's performance is very good, and I would rank it excellent if it
were not for the growling in the reverse direction.

Thomas Beutel
San Francisco