Topics

Broadway Limited 1st vs 2nd run HO NYC J1e Hudsons

Dave Horn

Are there any differences between first and second run (2005) BLI NYC J1e Hudson steam locomotives beside price? Thank you.  And how in your opinion do both of those compare to Paragon2 and P3 versions of the engine that followed? Dave
--
Certifiably HO Loco loco

frank bongiovanni <bongiovanni12001@...>

Since no one has chirped in, okay if I forward this question to an NYCSHS list?  Someone there might have an opinion.

Frank Bongiovanni

Paul Champlin

Yes, please. Great idea.
Paul

Dave Horn

That's a great idea and fine with me.   They're a great group of NYC enthusiasts and experts.  Let us know what they say.  Thanks.

frank bongiovanni <bongiovanni12001@...>

First answer I got on the NYC group:

Frank,

When they first came out, several people at our HO club purchased a J-1e from them.  They sound pretty good to the couple of former NYC employees who had first-hand experience with them, but they ran poorly, and their driving wheels fell off.    Yeah, I know that sounds preposterous, but that’s what happened to one of them.  The other wheels lost square (i.e. became eccentric on their axels) and walked drunkenly along the track.

Also they were fitted with QSI decoders that were mildly incompatible with our NCE system.  They worked, but were a pain to deal with if they needed any programming adjustments.

Finally, for me whose J-1e is a Mizuno (Japanese brass), they were almost toy-like in their infidelity to the prototype.   They were so poor, in my opinion, that for a long time I wouldn’t countenance a plastic steamer in my roster.

Because I have not seen one of their more recent J-1e models, I can’t make a head-to-head comparison.

There are a few BLI engines at our club, and I own one of their Mikados.   It’s lettered for Lehigh Valley, but it’s not really a model of a Lehigh Valley Mikado which looked very different from this model.   Alas, so few today really pay attention to having a faithful model that BLI and others make generic models lettered for everything they think they can sell.  And, when you look at the investment necessary to bring a model to market, it does make financial sense to do that.

Hope this helps a little,

Dave Horn

Interesting.  Thanks.  Perhaps the issues mentioned led to the second run of the initial Paragon (QSI Quantum) J1e's.  They sounded pretty severe not to have been addressed.
Broadway Limited Imports Discontinued Item List

Paragon NYC J1e (1st run)
001 NYC J1e Hudson #5344 $    279.99
002 NYC J1e Hudson  #5343 $    279.99
Through #22

Paragon NYC Hudson J1e/d (2nd run - 2005)
060 NYC J1e Hudson, #5319 w/ Roman lettering, Sound, DC/DCC, HO $    329.99
061 NYC J1e Hudson, #5335 w/ block lettering, Sound, DC/DCC, HO $   329.99
Through #74