Topics

C&O steam engine cab

ron christensen

I would like to put a C&O type cab on a Mantua 2-8-2, any suggestions?
I'm also interested in putting a track wiper on a Mantua Pacific any suggestion on where to get small pieces of  phosphor bronze.  
Ron Christensen

Ken Clark

Edited

Ron,
  Does your model have the diecast cab as part of the bolier, or the plastic cab?
I believe Mellor made replacement cabs for the Mantua Mikado, not sure how close to C&O they were.
Greenway at one time had replacement cabs for brass models.

Clover House has marketed phosphor bronze, wire, sheets, for several years. And then there is eBay

When you think outside the box,
You are out of the loop.
Kenneth R. Clark
P.O. Box 212454
Chula Vista, CA 91921

-----Original Message-----
To: HO-Steam <HO-Steam@groups.io>
Sent: Mon, Mar 5, 2018 9:58 am
Subject: [HO-Steam] C&O steam engine cab

I'm also interested in putting a track wiper on a Mantua Pacific any suggestion on where to get small pieces of  phosphor bronze.  
Ron Christensen

Wayne Long

On 3/5/2018 12:57 PM, ron christensen via Groups.Io wrote:
I believe that the Mantua mike kit had a cast zamac boiler and a plastic cab held on by a tab at the top, back of the boiler casting. You could adapt the plastic cab or replace it using it as a template to build your own C&O cab.
I'm also interested in putting a track wiper on a Mantua Pacific any suggestion on where to get small pieces of phosphor bronze.
Tomar Industries (if they are still in business in Michigan) used to sell kits for what you want to do.

Wayne Long

John Hagen

Ken,

All Mantua cabs, diecast or plastic, were separate pieces.

The diecast cabs were held in place by a screw through a smallish projection (tab) at the front top of the cab casting. The tab would be the first thing to break off  if the was any sign of “zinc rot.”

Don’t bother to ask how I know this. However I’ll tell you my first HO locomotive was a 2-8-2 I received for Christmas 1949. One day my perfect appearing boiler, cab and tab were all separate pieces.

John Hagen.

From: HO-Steam@groups.io [mailto:HO-Steam@groups.io] On Behalf Of Ken Clark via Groups.Io
Sent: Monday, March 05, 2018 12:17 PM
To: HO-Steam@groups.io
Subject: Re: [HO-Steam] C&O steam engine cab

Ron,
  Does you model have the diecast cab as part of the bolier, or the plastic cab?
I believe Mellor made replacement cabs for the Mantua Mikado, not sure how close to C&O they were.
Greenway at one time had replacement cabs for brass models.

Clover House has marketed phosphor bronze, wire, sheets, for several years. And then there is eBay

When you think outside the box,

You are out of the loop.

Kenneth R. Clark
P.O. Box 212454

Chula Vista, CA 91921

Groups.io Links:

You receive all messages sent to this group.

View/Reply Online (#4623) | Reply To Group | Reply To Sender | Mute This Topic | New Topic

Change Your Subscription
Group Home
Contact Group Owner
Terms Of Service
Unsubscribe From This Group

_._,_._,_

Wayne Long

On 3/5/2018 2:00 PM, John Hagen via Groups.Io wrote:

Ken,

The diecast cabs were held in place by a screw through a smallish projection (tab) at the front top of the cab casting. The tab would be the first thing to break off  if the was any sign of “zinc rot.”

On mine, the tab was/is on the top rear of the boiler casting.  A screw would go up through the cast metal tab into the underside of the plastic cab to hold it in place.

Don’t bother to ask how I know this. However I’ll tell you my first HO locomotive was a 2-8-2 I received for Christmas 1949. One day my perfect appearing boiler, cab and tab were all separate pieces.

So, that happened to you, too!  I just took a little longer with my parts.  At least, the side and connecting rods were not zamac castings.  I wonder for how long the chassis castings will hold up.

Wayne Long

John Hagen

Wayne,

Yeah, I got it bass asswards. Anyway it was the first thing to break.

Other than that the only other thing to deteriorate was the cross heads.

The chassis casting will probably hold up longer than we will.

John Hagen

From: HO-Steam@groups.io [mailto:HO-Steam@groups.io] On Behalf Of Wayne Long
Sent: Monday, March 05, 2018 1:19 PM
To: HO-Steam@groups.io
Subject: Re: [HO-Steam] C&O steam engine cab

On 3/5/2018 2:00 PM, John Hagen via Groups.Io wrote:

Ken,

On mine, the tab was/is on the top rear of the boiler casting.  A screw would go up through the cast metal tab into the underside of the plastic cab to hold it in place.

So, that happened to you, too!  I just took a little longer with my parts.  At least, the side and connecting rods were not zamac castings.  I wonder for how long the chassis castings will hold up.

Wayne Long

ron christensen

The original cab is plastic. I suspect finding a typical C&O cab is next to impossible. So leave it as is or scratch build/ kit bash a cab.
 The wipers may be  available from the new Tomar. In any case I would have to make them to fit the locomotive. I have put a Mantua gear box drive I found at a swap meet. Also put in a can motor and DCC with sound.  Tender wheels were replace with nickel silver. The problem is the drivers for some reason they stop picking up some times. As you know the old Mantua did not pick up on front or rear engine trucks. That misses a lot of wheels that could help.
The challenge 
Ron Christensen