From: ron christensen via Groups.Io <rxensen@...>
To: HO-Steam <HO-Steam@groups.io>
Sent: Mon, Mar 5, 2018 9:58 am
Subject: [HO-Steam] C&O steam engine cab

I would like to put a C&O type cab on a Mantua 2-8-2, any suggestions?
I'm also interested in putting a track wiper on a Mantua Pacific any suggestion on where to get small pieces of  phosphor bronze.
Ron Christensen

Wayne Long

On 3/5/2018 12:57 PM, ron christensen via Groups.Io wrote:
I would like to put a C&O type cab on a Mantua 2-8-2, any suggestions?
I believe that the Mantua mike kit had a cast zamac boiler and a plastic cab held on by a tab at the top, back of the boiler casting. You could adapt the plastic cab or replace it using it as a template to build your own C&O cab.
I'm also interested in putting a track wiper on a Mantua Pacific any suggestion on where to get small pieces of phosphor bronze.
Tomar Industries (if they are still in business in Michigan) used to sell kits for what you want to do.

Wayne Long

John Hagen

Ken,

All Mantua cabs, diecast or plastic, were separate pieces.

The diecast cabs were held in place by a screw through a smallish projection (tab) at the front top of the cab casting. The tab would be the first thing to break off  if the was any sign of “zinc rot.”

Don’t bother to ask how I know this. However I’ll tell you my first HO locomotive was a 2-8-2 I received for Christmas 1949. One day my perfect appearing boiler, cab and tab were all separate pieces.

John Hagen.