Topics

Backwards Bachmann 2-8-0

Tim O'Connor

Sounds like a mechanical problem - something jams when the drive
turns in the other direction. Is there any motor noise or current
load in reverse? (i.e. is the motor stalled?)

Stops, doesn't run.

On Wednesday, February 28, 2018 9:17 AM, Wayne Long <acl-wayne@...> wrote:

On 2/28/2018 8:21 AM, oandle via Groups.Io wrote:
Reverse as in tender first
So, what happens when you switch direction on your controller? Does the locomotive stop or does it continue running in reverse?

Wayne Long

Victor Bitleris

Not sure if this was asked.  Is it DC or DCC.  If DCC, could be the decoder.  If DC, then it could be the silly little board in the tender.

If DC, you could test by running some alligator clip wires directly to the motor and see if that is ok.  I don't like taking the shell off, so if you can isolate the wires to the motor via the plug, you can connect the pigtails to that directly and see if the thing runs in both directions.  I never heard of a motor that won't do it, but it could be a mechanical issue as well.  Isolating the loco from the silly little board in the tender may help to isolate the problem.

Here is a web site that shows some good info on the loco.

http://www.spookshow.net/loco/spec280.html

Here is a Youtube that may help you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYwm_t2oMl0

Regards, Vic Bitleris Raleigh, NC

On 2/28/2018 8:21 AM, oandle via Groups.Io wrote:
Reverse as in tender first
So, what happens when you switch direction on your controller? Does the locomotive stop or does it continue running in reverse?

Wayne Long

Bob Weston

Stops, doesn't run.

On Wednesday, February 28, 2018 9:17 AM, Wayne Long <acl-wayne@...> wrote:

On 2/28/2018 8:21 AM, oandle via Groups.Io wrote:
Reverse as in tender first
So, what happens when you switch direction on your controller? Does the locomotive stop or does it continue running in reverse?

Wayne Long

Wayne Long

On 2/28/2018 8:21 AM, oandle via Groups.Io wrote:
Reverse as in tender first
So, what happens when you switch direction on your controller? Does the locomotive stop or does it continue running in reverse?

Wayne Long

Bob Weston

Reverse as in tender first

Wayne Long

On 2/25/2018 11:23 AM, oandle via Groups.Io wrote:
Hi Guys,
I have a Bachmann Spectrum 2-8-0 that has been sitting on the shelf since I bought it ages ago because it only runs in reverse. Any ideas what might be wrong with it?TIA
Bob Weston
What do you mean by "it only runs in reverse"?

Wayne Long

Darren Boes

Is it possible that the 2 wire plug between the engine and tender has had the clip removed and been installed the opposite of what it should be? It could also be the 4 wire which is flipped, I don't recall exactly which wires are in which plug. This is assuming you're running on DC, if it's DCC then it could be a programming issue.

Darren Boes

Bob Weston