Topics

[HOsteam] Decision Time For HO Steam - Poll

Ken Clark

John, 
One thing a move will show is how many members are really on this list.
My other list lost 10% of it's members just due to dead e-mail addresses.

When you think outside the box,
You are out of the loop.
Kenneth R. Clark
P.O. Box 212454
Chula Vista, CA 91921

John Hagen

Maybe it should be moved now as it seems nothing is being done at Yahoo to assure the future.

Again I have not experienced these problems but then several of the groups I belong to I just for information reading enjoyment.

The only thing I will say about moving to group.io is if you post any photos please also post a message saying what they are about and the name of the album you posted them to. Otherwise they can be very hard to track down in io groups.

So far as email passwords, I just keep using my Yahoo email (I’ve had it since the middle 90’s and everyone I know has it). I have no problem ether receiving or sending group.io messages.

You will need a groups.io password which is easy to set up and, like Ken said, you have to do when you join your first groups.io group.

That doesn’t mean there is any problem with using a Yahoo email account, or any other that I’m aware of, in groups.io, you just need one for accessing the all parts of a groups.io group.

John Hagen

Sent: Wednesday, February 07, 2018 12:41 PM
To: HOsteam@...
Subject: [HOsteam] Decision Time For HO Steam - Poll

All,

I have been list owner for over ten years, during that time discussions have slowly dies off or moved to other groups like DCC or Repowering or RR specific. Below are the yearly message counts for this list:

2018 -1

2017 -13

2016 -22

2015 -29

2014 -19

2013 -85

2012 -62

2011 -105

2010 -82

I am list owner/moderator for two YahooGroups lists. I moved the other larger and more active list (RepowerAndRegear) to groups.io last month. There was widespread concern over the failing YG lists file structure and management functions. Owners and members would be locked out of photos, files, messages, and memberships for up to a week or more. I joined the GroupManagers Forum on YahooGroups and can report there is no commitment to YG lists future,only that there will be a notice prior to shut down. Moving the list when YG implodes will not be possible. So far we are enjoying our new home on groups.io

Now is the time to discuss the future of this group of over 500 members. I can easily (at the moment) move the list to groups.io, the message archives, files and photos will be copied over there. All members of this YG list will become members of the new groups.io list; members will have to do nothing receive e-mails. The only thing that will not be copied is your Yahoo password; to access the groups.io website you will need a groups.io password. There is only one groups.io password for all groups.io lists; if you already have one from another groups.io list membership, you are good to go. Otherwise follow the instructions to create a new groups.io password.

Please consider the choices of this poll. There are other location choices like Facebook Groups and Google Groups that are not listed, because I wouldn't move the list there; it would have to be done by a new owner.

About every two weeks YG lists suffer another file/database shutdown; it's very noticeable on very active lists.

IT's Decision Time...

ken clark

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]