To: HOsteam@yahoogroups.com
From: jeffofnh@yahoo.com
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2008 17:55:29 +0000
Subject: [HOsteam] Vintage 1960's Athearn 4-6-2

I am repowering a 1960's 4-6-2. I am looking for a motor of an

approxmaite size of 20x28. I will be installing DCC. Can anyone

suggest the most powerful motor for this size factor?

Thanks,

Jeff

David Boyd

I use these in the Mantua rebuilds I do. They have great throttle control at
low to mid scale speed, which i really like. They do top out at 75% throttle,
so don't expect to see your pacific run a scale 90 MPH. My Pacifics run a
top scale speed of about 65 MPH, and my Micados run about 50 scale MPH. But
when you pull into the yard to drop off and pick up you'll love the ability to
creep along at very low scale speeds.
David

FanHouse Fantasy Football today.

David Boyd

I haven't had any problem with noise on all of the ones I've used. I done
about seven or more Mantuas using them. David

FanHouse Fantasy Football today.

Jon Miller <atsf@...>

I got one like is shown in auction 360069864367. However at the time the start price was 9.95 and I was the only bidder. The motor seems ok and I checked it with my figures applying friction, never went above 40mA. As you can see from the picture the armature is rough and the motor is noisy.

Jon Miller
AT&SF
For me time has stopped in 1941
NMRA Life member #2623
Member SFRH&MS

mwbauers

Here are the specs for that motor....

http://www.mabuchi-motor.co.jp/cgi-bin/catalog/e_catalog.cgi?CAT_ID=ff_180phsh

http://www.ewinson.com/image/draw/ff180.jpg

http://www.ewinson.com/ff180.htm [note the 12-vt version]

I bought a slew of these a while back........

Best to ya,
Mike Bauers
Milwaukee, Wi

On Jul 30, 2008, at 1:16 PM, Victor Bitleris wrote:

Here is a 20x33 for about $15.00 including shipping, but the guy also has a 20x24, which should work.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Neodymium-Flat-can-motor-1533-Unbelievable-Power_W0QQitemZ150276235704QQihZ005QQcategoryZ484QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

good luck and regards, Vic Bitleris
Raleigh, NC

To: HOsteam@yahoogroups.com
From: jeffofnh@yahoo.com
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2008 17:55:29 +0000

I am repowering a 1960's 4-6-2. I am looking for a motor of an

approxmaite size of 20x28. I will be installing DCC. Can anyone

suggest the most powerful motor for this size factor?

Thanks,

Jeff

Mike Rosz

I did not know Athearn had a 4-6-2 back in the 60's.

But in the 60's I was still into my American Flyer 4-6-2

Pennsy in S gauge, with link couplers.

I came into HO after my Navy years in the early 70's.

I had a friend in grammar school who was HO deisel passenger.

and I had freight. Got my starter set, then a second car then

Flyer went to knuckle couplers, and I did not convert.

At that time I was not aware of the USED market, where

I could have gotten some passenger cars, one would have been enough

with a baggage car.

How I also have S AND HO and buying USED you should hear then.

"------------- - ---- ---------- ---"

All because of some Greengerg book. I you do not offer more than

Greenberg's price forget it. And I am not refering to The Idiots

on e-bay. Well I just had to tell some one, hope you did not mind.

Play it loud with a new car stereo! Click here!
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL2141/fc/Ioyw6i3n6nDHTFFMhfm4P7RI8ShEvB3mUgFJK4G8RoQ09aDMkCMPW6/

Roger T

I did not know Athearn had a 4-6-2 back in the 60's.

It was worst than the one they made in 2001(?)

I sadly bought two of those. Both suffered from broken gears as did one of my Genesis 2-8-2s and Athearn have never honoured their warranty on either. They've even changed their history so that neither the 4-6-2 nor the 2-8-2 were Genesis locos.

Cheers
Roger T.
See the GER at: -
http://www.islandnet.com/~rogertra/

Mike Rosz

they had them. $10.00 as a kit and $15.00 ready to run.

It's never been easier to change your name. Click now!
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL2141/fc/Ioyw6i3nf7hkKEZaLLGXDOoi5LiJc830lSy9zAzzNJlsY5VIHRB498/