[HOsteam] How black is black?

Tom Knowles <ncstl@...>

Yes, even black has nuances just like all the other colors. Some of the
other lists I'm on get into huge disagreements about colors, and I say if it
hit you eye they way it should, then it's right. Weather, and light and
viewing angles and reflections (blue sky!) all play their part in the
perception of color. For locomotive black, it depends on what the status of
the loco is, but I always add a substantial amount of red to the mix to
"warm up" the appearance. As for dead flat, I always insisted on painting
dead flat, then decaling, then weather (if required/desired) followed by
dullcote. My results were usually satisfactory. But now, the press urges us
to paint glossy, then do all the rest. I haven't tried this yet except on an
E-8 painted with acrylics. I didn't really like the way the paint "sat" on
the surface, and I had trouble getting it to wet the surface of a brass
engine I tried to paint with it. I have turned from the desire to see
engines and passenger cars dead flat and cruddy to seeing a little shine in
the coat. I even have some that are "fresh out of the shop" in appearance,
but a full gloss is too toy-like to my eye.

What I recommend to you is any clear-coat that is compatible chemically with
the previous coat that gives only a little shine. A semi-gloss, if you will.
You might also try a little light hand buffing of your flat-painted model to
bring out a little sheen. This is automatically attained with overspray of
dullcote over gloss as the dullcote never seems to go dead flat over gloss.
Dead flat weathering picks up an unrealistic shine unless applied last. Soot
in particular is dead flat as is sand residue on the drivers and
underpinnings. I have wondered about masking a few of my tenders in such a
way as to show the water level in them by suggesting a different sheen to
the lower part due to condensation on the sides just where the water
actually is. Anyone tried this?

Have you checked out the MRR part of my web site yet?

Tom Knowles
website: http://members.tripod.com/tomknowles/index.htm