[HOsteam] Superdetailing Mantua Steamers


DLewis0163@...
 

I found your posting very interesting and potentially useful, as I am looking
to replace the pilot on my IMC Mogul (mfrd by Mahano). This is a fine running
loco, in the Premier Series, but the pilot is diminutive and rides too high.
Since I continue to be pleased with these new IHC locos, I look to improve
the few flaws. I may try your "fix". Do you have any photos of your work in
progress?
Don Lewis


Starr, David <david.starr@...>
 

Don,
I don't have any photos. I suppose I ought to get out the closeup lens
and lights and try my hand at model photography again. Last time I tried
it, I got double shadows from having the fill light a bit too close and un
diffused.
I have a pair of the plastic IHC Moguls. Nice runners. I was able to get
a Kadee coupler into the pilot of one of them after some serious Dremel
work. I found just painting the bright nickel plated tender wheels grimy
black improved the looks a lot.
Mine are a little bit light. If I could find some space inside the
locomotive to add weight I'd do it. I haven't had either locomotive apart
enough to see if there are any nooks or crannies that could accept a bit of
lead.
I changed the road name on one unit. I tried to get the old herald off
the tender with solvaset and a draftsman's electric eraser. I wound up
biting through the paint down to the plastic. However a shot of flat black
spray paint covered up all the sins.

----------
From: DLewis0163@aol.com[SMTP:DLewis0163@aol.com]
Reply To: HOsteam@egroups.com
Sent: Friday, November 03, 2000 11:14 AM
To: HOsteam@egroups.com
Subject: Re: [HOsteam] Superdetailing Mantua Steamers

I found your posting very interesting and potentially useful, as I am
looking
to replace the pilot on my IMC Mogul (mfrd by Mahano). This is a fine
running
loco, in the Premier Series, but the pilot is diminutive and rides too
high.
Since I continue to be pleased with these new IHC locos, I look to improve

the few flaws. I may try your "fix". Do you have any photos of your work
in
progress?
Don Lewis


Keeping the memory of steam alive!


DLewis0163@...
 

I had the same problem getting the printed road name off, so I just used
three light coats of dilute grimy black in my airbrush, and after decalling
for the LAMEDEER SHORTLINE RAILWAY, weathered the engine via airbrush with
grimy black, grey, a mist of blue-black, and some light grey on the water-
carring undersidevparts(injectors, tubes, vales,etc.) where water impurities
encrust things. I airbrushed the running gear and wheels grimy black and the
underside of the tender trucks with a bit of rust. I'm still working on it,
but it looks great. I got rid of the horrible bell, installing a great
CalScale casting.
I'll have to clean overspray off the treads and oil the valve train. I'll
take a picture of it and send it to you sometime soon.
Don


Starr, David <david.starr@...>
 

Interesting. You did the tender trucks in "rust" (reddish) giving a bit of
contrast to the otherwise black & gray locomotive? I've been thinking that
is the way to go but I cannot remember seeing models done that way. Where
did you mount the new bell? Same place as stock, or did you move it
somewhere else?
I got the Mantua Pacific back together last night. I moved the bell from
top of boiler to the smokebox front to give a more B&M look, added
classification lamps, a steam generator casting, spoked drivers, and added
those B&M locomotive nameplates along the sides. You might have heard the
story, for a publicity stunt the railroad ran a "name that locomotive"
contest for school children. The kid that submitted a winning name got his
name on the engine too. Both names went on a fancy nameplate along the
running boards.
Anyhow, it's painting time. I guess I have to take the engine apart to
get the paint to cover the frame properly and not get paint all over the
drive rods, motor and gears. I'm thinking of washing in soap & water,
followed by pickling in vinegar, followed by a coat of dark gray auto
primer. I do hope the CA adhesive doesn't come apart from either the water
or the vinegar.

----------
From: DLewis0163@aol.com[SMTP:DLewis0163@aol.com]
Reply To: HOsteam@egroups.com
Sent: Sunday, November 05, 2000 6:38 PM
To: HOsteam@egroups.com
Subject: Re: [HOsteam] Superdetailing Mantua Steamers

I had the same problem getting the printed road name off, so I just used
three light coats of dilute grimy black in my airbrush, and after
decalling
for the LAMEDEER SHORTLINE RAILWAY, weathered the engine via airbrush with

grimy black, grey, a mist of blue-black, and some light grey on the water-

carring undersidevparts(injectors, tubes, vales,etc.) where water
impurities
encrust things. I airbrushed the running gear and wheels grimy black and
the
underside of the tender trucks with a bit of rust. I'm still working on
it,
but it looks great. I got rid of the horrible bell, installing a great
CalScale casting.
I'll have to clean overspray off the treads and oil the valve train. I'll
take a picture of it and send it to you sometime soon.
Don


Keeping the memory of steam alive!


DLewis0163@...
 

The bell will be mounted in the same spot, but will have live steam piping
about 2 feet towards the cab, then piercing through the lagging. This is an
automatic steam ringer, not a pull cord bell. I did some careful clean-up
filing of the casting, then painted the "harp" a deep gunmetal (looks like
black color wet with condensed steam) and left the bell a polished brass.
Don