[HOsteam] Re: RE: Re: [HOsteam Spoked drivers]

Nelson Kennedy <nelsonk@...>

From: <ncstl@...>

Your project sounds very nice, I've always liked the sloped front cab
sides..kinda gives 'em that "racey" look. Maybe we can post some pix of our
work? Does this list permit that?

In brief, No! Earlier in the life of this group I raised the question of
allowing email attachments. The overwhelming consensus then was that
attachments should not be permitted but rather that files that might
otherwise be attached be placed in the files area so that members could
choose whether or not to access them.

That position seems to give the best of both worlds. The chance to share
files with one another and the right to choose whether or not to receive
them.

If any members are unaware of the procedure for uploading files go to
http://Egroups.com then click on 'My Groups' and choose H0steam and follow
the instructions for dealing with files. Having uploaded a file, if you
then view it and copy and paste the resulting URL to the list in a message
you will make it easy for others to view your file.

Nelson Kennedy (list 'owner')
Christchurch, New Zealand
Ferrymead Trams, NZR 0 gauge and some Espee H0 at:
http://downunder.railfan.net
Products suitable for 1:32 models are at http://ninemill.railfan.net

DLewis0163@...

Where did you get the works to make the chuff sound?
Don Lewis

ncstl@...

HOsteam@... wrote:
Where did you get the works to make the chuff sound?
Don Lewis....

Don,I work as an electronics repairman, so cobbled together a ckt. with sound generator, amplifier, bridge rectifier ICs and a couple of caps. it's all mounted on one of those long/skinny IC sockets and wrapped in tape. The pickup is just a switch (a piece of .020" brass wire)that rubs on the back of one driver. There are semi-circles of epoxy "in the way" 4 times per rev. that break the ground. Another wire rubs the opposite wheel to counter-balance the force. Both wires are soldered to a piece of ckt. bd. that is held on by one of the bottom frame retainer screws. The volume is dependant on track voltage, so gets louder as the engine works harder. Total cost, mebbe 10 bucks.
All the circuitry and speaker are mounted in the tender, and the sound is "interesting", but not real good...too tinny because of the 1" speakers I have to use in HO scale. I even use specially shaped film cannisters, cut down, to "help" the sound but it needs more help than that! Also,As it turns out the can motors in my steamers are so good they'll start the loco moving (running light)before there's any volume. My next version will fix this.. I'll tell you though that the effect is fun, and looks/sounds good on video tape! Double-headers are a blast (no pun intended). The best part is you don't have to always be staring at your engine to know what it's doing and where it is!

Tom