[HOsteam] new magazine?

George Gilbert <grgilbert@...>

Sounds interesting. If you do it I would try a subscription. I don't know
of any other publications that concentrate on the early era railroading.

My personal modeling interests range from the 1880's through the mid 1920's,
principally shortline RR's both narrow and standard guage. I have found and
subscribed to several good narrow guage magazines ( the NG&SLG of course,
and this year I found Gary Kohler's Light Iron Digest) but I cannot think of
anything concentrating on early steam era standard guage railroads.

I think there is a lot of potential for building "home sized" model railroad
in these earlier periods. A little mogul pulling 6 cars ( 36ft) and a
caboose looks a lot more convincing on a small layout than a Geep anything
trying to look busy pulling 6 ( 40 or 50 footers) cars on the same size
small layout.

I think with that era as a focus you should probably concentrate on
standard guage, but you could easily range from little shortlines to the
mainlines. I think it would be a mistake to do much narrow guage since
there are already several good narrow guage publications.

I would be willing to help. I have had an article published in RMC on my
ET&WNC piggyback car. This year I have written a kit review and loco
painting article for Gary Kohler's new magazine Light Iron Digest. I have
a clinic on building a 34ft boxcar that would convert into a magazine
article fairly easily. I have also done a couple of locomotive projects
that I could write about.

George Gilbert