Re: [HOsteam] Athearn Mike - Adding weight

Ken Clark

In a message dated 11/27/00 6:23:43 PM Pacific Standard Time,
nagray@austin.rr.com writes:

Fishing shops may also carry forms for casting lead sinkers. I converted
one that made round sinkers into a form for casting similar 1/2 ounce
cylindrical slugs for weighting cars. The key was to mill the forms top
and
bottom halves flat on the inside to produce a slug with flat sides.
The aluminum mold was made by:
DO-IT Industries
3624 Logan Ave
Waterloo, Iowa

This is cast on the mold which I purchased at least 20 years ago.

Type - Round Flat Sinkers 9/16 oz.
Model - RFS-8-916

Also Cast on the mold.

The mold also casts a lead eye onto the sinker. removing the tab produces a
slug just a little over 1/2 ounce. Until the mold starts to heat up with
casting lead, the metal does not flow completely into all molds. I use the
partially formed slugs as fractional weight, or throw them back into the pot.

Ken

about as far southwest as you can get and stay dry