Re: End of the Road for Yahoo Groups

SP4149

Ed,

My lists all transferred to goups.io from Yahoo Groups two years ago.   At that time I suspended message posting on the YG lists and all members continued to posting on the new lists on groups.io.

  I was planning on closing down and deleting the dormant lists on YG the end of the year.  This was to discourage attempts to resurrect the old list name instead of migrating to groups.io

Now I won't have to do that extra work as YG will be gone before the end of the year.

In the meantime groups.io is still going strong, expanding to a second mail server for enhanced service and to reduce the errant spam messaging.  My lists are free lists so still ne need yet for paid

subscriptions and all the archives from the old YG list were transferred two years ago.  You responded on the new list, you are still good to go.  No change.

You will see consternation among those who clung to the corpse of the YG lists all this time.  They missed the chance to transfer to groups.io, actually several chances.  It seems to be a sign of the time that

no matter what the subject a large number refuse to believe, even after the fact.  A year after YG purged the archives, some YG faithful still think that they can be copied to a new list.

We're on groups.io, two years past the wailing at the YG demise.

ken clark

www.shastasprings.com

On 2020-10-13 14:23, Ed Triolo wrote:

Hi Ken --

I am sad to say that this means I will no longer be able to access this collective wisdom after Dec 15. It's a choice I make because of my firm opposition to Facebook and Google and all their spawn. I treasure my privacy -- shoveling against the tide -- in this era of Orwellian data harvesting, hacking vulnerability and cyber crime.

They say we can still "group" via Facebook groups or GMail groups but I don't do anything Google nor the evil Facebook. I browse via Firefox not Chrome or even Edge and I search via Duck Duck Go not Google. With my Firefox privacy settings set to stun and armed with Privacy Badger anti-tracking widget, I know I sound like a senile grandpa yelling at the kids to get off my lawn but if so, so be it.

I really do appreciate the tips, wisdom, ideas and good cheer that these groups have provided but now on a fixed income, I'm trying to cut subscriptions not add them these days.

With apologies for the rant and thanks for all your help, I will raise a glass of champagne to y'all on December 15!

God Bless,
Ed aka "Grandpa"
On Monday, October 12, 2020, 05:22:37 PM EDT, SP4149 <ken@...> wrote:

Beginning December 15, 2020 the Yahoo Groups website will shut down and members will no longer be able to send or receive emails from Yahoo Groups. We've compiled a comprehensive FAQ here that includes alternative providers and information on how this will impact your group content.

Thank you for helping us build one of the earliest digital communities — we're proud and honored to have forged countless connections over the last 20 years and played a small part in helping build your communities.

Sincerely,
The Yahoo Groups team

ken clark

www.shastasprings.com