The patience of model railroaders on the Internet

SP4149

Today, I've been doing maintenance on my e-mail messages, deleting thousands of old messages if the goal.  Yhe last two months I have been getting hundreds more each week and I haven't deleted all of them when I should.  But I also am finding old messages from years before that still are relevant.

    The last one I found was from early December 2015, and I was complaining on a YG list about not being able to access message directories or post messages for several days.  That's two years and four months ago; I was experiencing the early effects of YG suspending technical support.  It wasn't until a year and a half later that I even investigated the existence of groups.io as an alternative site for my YG lists.  And it wasn't until over two years later that I  moved my first list to groups.io this January.

  Looking back I was incredibly patient in toleration YG lists deteriorating service.  Partly it was my fault since I wasn't documenting the actual service disruptions and their length of time.  Fortunately others talked about alternatives and I investigated.  But I am sure that I was not alone in tolerating poor service and not demanding better.  I ignored a lot of warning signs in those two years, which makes the last two months all the more remarkable.  The transfer of lists to groups.io has been relatively easy, but not without hiccups.  The biggest one was that I didn't realize that I was not communicating with all the members of my YG lists, even with Special Notices.  Many members had not received posts about the move and when it happened they quit the new list immediately upon receiving the Welcome Letter.  Other aspects of the YG lists reduced service I found in the photos transferred.  Photos were for most part transferred successfully, however YG had not been tracking ownership and updating when a member changed e-mail addresses.  How many internet users change an e-mail address in 16-19 years? Plenty and all those changes meant that their old photos were transferred to a new owner, the groups.io list owner, ME.  Since I did not have copyright permission to post photos on the internet and transfer display copyrights to groups.io; leaving these 'orphaned photos' on the lists is a potential problem.  If YG lists had been supported these and other 'new' problems would have been dealt with and no longer be a problem for lists.  Yes, fellow modelers and railfans, we are a patient lot.

ken

"It has always seemed strange to me," said Doc. "The things we admire in men, kindness and generosity, openness, honesty, understanding and feeling are the concomitants of failure in our system. And those traits we detest, sharpness, greed, acquisitiveness, meanness, egotism and self-interest are the traits of success."  Steinbeck - Cannery Row

HO and Sn42