Re: [HOsteam] side/main rod color

Ken Clark

Alan,

Sounds like the kit rods didn't match. Now you have three colors? On many railroads the rods were left in their native steel color, which is much duller than nickel plated brass or nickel silver. I've used an air eraser to dull the finish of plated rods, however this is tricky since the plating may be very thin. Late steam engines frequently had painted rods, so black matching the boiler may be fine. Were the prototype's rods painted? Also you can try Testor's Metallizer paints, however they adhere best to plastic so you need an undercoat like Scalecoat between the metal and the Metallizer. I would bake the Scalecoat painted rods for a couple of hours at 200 F for a tougher finish.

I'm building a boyd models GB&W mogul and have replaced main rods with PSC brass ones,loco kit came with blackened side rods and nickel silver main,crossheads and guides and valve gear,my dilemna is what color should I paint these items since they no longer match.
Alan

Kenneth R. Clark

-----Original Message-----
To: HOsteam <HOsteam@...>
Sent: Thu, Feb 2, 2012 11:00 am
Subject: [HOsteam] side/main rod color

I'm building a boyd models GB&W mogul and have replaced main rods with PSC brass ones,loco kit came with blackened side rods and nickel silver main,crossheads and guides and valve gear,my dilemna is what color should I paint these items since they no longer match.
Alan

Join HO-Steam@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.