Re: Introduction and first question

Ken Clark

In a message dated 2/21/00 9:08:08 AM Pacific Standard Time,
martin.fischer@inka.de writes:

<< TW the engine is oil burning. This leads to another question. Where
would they put the oil tank on a tank engine ? I suppose inside the
cab, right ? Would it be a rectangular box on one side of the cab or
what ? Where would the the filling hatch be ? I forgot to mention that
the engine is a small Davenport 0-4-0 switcher.

The usual fuel bunker was at the back of the cab; water tanks were generally
put on top of the boiler on tank engines. For the amount of water carried,
there was not much fuel needed to be carried between pit stops. Some of the
saddle tank 2-6-6-2T logging engines only had a small rear porch for a fuel
bunker, and they were comparatively large tank engines.

ken