Have you worked the country Transnistria?


David, N9KT
 

I saw this country on the news. I had never heard of it before. It was formed July 21 1992. It has a constitution, flag, national anthem, and coat of arms.


-David, N9KT


Mike Kasrich
 

Yea I had heard of it long ago. Not recognized by anyone other than Russia I believe. I could be wrong but I think it "self assigned" the D1 prefix much to the chagrin of the IARU. They keep company with Turkish Cyprus (1B) as odd ball places that don't count for DXCC.

On 3/7/2022 11:31 PM, David, N9KT wrote:
I saw this country on the news. I had never heard of it before. It was formed July 21 1992. It has a constitution, flag, national anthem, and coat of arms.


-David, N9KT


David, N9KT
 

Mike-

Thanks for the pointer. That actually got me on the correct path looking at some of these countries. I just find it fascinating that they exist and that with the DXCC list acknowledging stuff that even *I* wouldn't call a country that they aren't in the list.

I found some more info about Transnistria. Apparently they have been using the "T10" prefix: https://clublog.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/folders/98493

Looking at that list, the funniest one I've found is "1Z" - the "Karen State". Imagine that, a whole country of "Karens"! 😁

Now I'm curious and I'm going to have to go through my log and see if I've worked any of these strange places.

-David, N9KT


On Tue, Mar 8, 2022 at 6:43 AM Mike Kasrich <aj9c@...> wrote:

Yea I had heard of it long ago. Not recognized by anyone other than Russia I believe. I could be wrong but I think it "self assigned" the D1 prefix much to the chagrin of the IARU. They keep company with Turkish Cyprus (1B) as odd ball places that don't count for DXCC.

On 3/7/2022 11:31 PM, David, N9KT wrote:
I saw this country on the news. I had never heard of it before. It was formed July 21 1992. It has a constitution, flag, national anthem, and coat of arms.


-David, N9KT


David, N9KT
 

I actually found an image of a T10VB card!
image.png
-David, N9KT


On Tue, Mar 8, 2022 at 8:15 AM David, N9KT via groups.io <davids=mediamachine.com@groups.io> wrote:
Mike-

Thanks for the pointer. That actually got me on the correct path looking at some of these countries. I just find it fascinating that they exist and that with the DXCC list acknowledging stuff that even *I* wouldn't call a country that they aren't in the list.

I found some more info about Transnistria. Apparently they have been using the "T10" prefix: https://clublog.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/folders/98493

Looking at that list, the funniest one I've found is "1Z" - the "Karen State". Imagine that, a whole country of "Karens"! 😁

Now I'm curious and I'm going to have to go through my log and see if I've worked any of these strange places.

-David, N9KT


On Tue, Mar 8, 2022 at 6:43 AM Mike Kasrich <aj9c@...> wrote:

Yea I had heard of it long ago. Not recognized by anyone other than Russia I believe. I could be wrong but I think it "self assigned" the D1 prefix much to the chagrin of the IARU. They keep company with Turkish Cyprus (1B) as odd ball places that don't count for DXCC.

On 3/7/2022 11:31 PM, David, N9KT wrote:
I saw this country on the news. I had never heard of it before. It was formed July 21 1992. It has a constitution, flag, national anthem, and coat of arms.


-David, N9KT


Mike Kasrich
 

yep thanks for the correction. I guess D1DX is for the "New" Donesk independent country.

On 3/8/2022 9:05 AM, David, N9KT wrote:
I actually found an image of a T10VB card!
image.png
-David, N9KT


On Tue, Mar 8, 2022 at 8:15 AM David, N9KT via groups.io <davids=mediamachine.com@groups.io> wrote:
Mike-

Thanks for the pointer. That actually got me on the correct path looking at some of these countries. I just find it fascinating that they exist and that with the DXCC list acknowledging stuff that even *I* wouldn't call a country that they aren't in the list.

I found some more info about Transnistria. Apparently they have been using the "T10" prefix: https://clublog.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/folders/98493

Looking at that list, the funniest one I've found is "1Z" - the "Karen State". Imagine that, a whole country of "Karens"! 😁

Now I'm curious and I'm going to have to go through my log and see if I've worked any of these strange places.

-David, N9KT


On Tue, Mar 8, 2022 at 6:43 AM Mike Kasrich <aj9c@...> wrote:

Yea I had heard of it long ago. Not recognized by anyone other than Russia I believe. I could be wrong but I think it "self assigned" the D1 prefix much to the chagrin of the IARU. They keep company with Turkish Cyprus (1B) as odd ball places that don't count for DXCC.

On 3/7/2022 11:31 PM, David, N9KT wrote:
I saw this country on the news. I had never heard of it before. It was formed July 21 1992. It has a constitution, flag, national anthem, and coat of arms.


-David, N9KT


Bob Burns AK9R
 

On 03/08/2022 10:06 AM, Mike Kasrich wrote:
I guess D1DX is for the "New" Donesk independent country.
Is ARRL recognizing this for DXCC?

I saw some comments along these lines a week ago and the word from an ARRL director was that Donesk is not recognized as a DXCC entity.

Bob...


Carl Luetzelschwab
 

Per the DXCC Rules, Section II, 1, an entity will be added to the DXCC List as a Political Entity if it meets one or more of the following criteria:

a) The entity is a UN Member State.

b) The entity has been assigned a callsign prefix bloc by the ITU.

c) The entity contains a permanent population, is administered by a local government, and is located at least 800 km from its parent.

d) The entity has a separate IARU member society AND is included on the U.S. State Department 'Independent States in the World' (https://www.state.gov/independent-states-in-the-world/).

Unfortunately, Donesk doesn't meet any of the above criteria.

As an FYI, there are two other possible ways to become a DXCC entity besides via a Political Entity - Geographical Separation Entity and Special Areas. There's also a paragraph on Ineligible Areas. 

Carl K9LA