Resetting Group Owner Username

Neil Erickson

HELP!

I tried to change my username/email address and made a typo. As the owner of the group this has caused me to be locked out of the group as I cannot get a verification.

The Groups.io Help is no help. Anyone have a suggestion? I would love it if the admin could rest my email to the previous or have this option I’d the new email is not correct.

 Neil Erickson

Duane

On Mon, Nov 16, 2020 at 12:51 PM, Neil Erickson wrote:
Anyone have a suggestion?
See the topic on GMF where this just happened (and was resolved), https://groups.io/g/GroupManagersForum/topic/accidental_email_change/78256324

Duane

Neil Erickson

I tried what was described with no luck. I need admin to reset the account or delete the group.

Duane

On Wed, Nov 18, 2020 at 11:04 AM, Neil Erickson wrote:
I tried what was described with no luck.
Then you did something a lot more serious than make a typo.  Only support can help you with that.  If you don't have a Premium group though, your request will be at the bottom of the pile.  It may never reach the top.  If it's only a typo, all you have to do is use the typo address with your original password to get in.

Duane

Neil,

I tried what was described with no luck.
Did you try specifically this:
Log in with the typo'd address, then change it back.
https://groups.io/g/GroupManagersForum/message/34995

If you in the mean time have created a new account with the correct email address then log out and attempt to "fix" the bad address. It will offer to merge the two accounts. Don't do that if you've rejoined the group (as a member) using the new account. Instead, provide more details about the exact circumstances.

I need admin to reset the account or delete the group.
Other questions:
Is there another owner of the group?
Are there any members of the group other than you?
Does that account own, moderate, or participate in other groups

You're best option is to find a way to self-correct it, rather than hope for intercession by support.

Shal

Neil,

Following. I am still having this problem and the post linked didn’t
work for me.
Please tell us as much detail as you can about what you did. What pages were you on, what did you type, what did you see.

I may need to just start another group and ignore the first
as /*now*/ there is no owner!
Technically there is still an owner, but with a typo'd email address.

Go over what I wrote a few days ago (below) and be as detailed as you can about describing what you see and answering my questions. We have only what you tell us to go on.

Shal

Neil,

> I tried what was described with no luck.
Did you try specifically this:
Log in with the typo'd address, then change it back.
https://groups.io/g/GroupManagersForum/message/34995
If you in the mean time have created a new account with the correct email address then log out and attempt to "fix" the bad address. It will offer to merge the two accounts. Don't do that if you've rejoined the group (as a member) using the new account. Instead, provide more details about the exact circumstances.

> I need admin to reset the account or delete the group.
Other questions:
Is there another owner of the group?
Are there any members of the group other than you?
Does that account own, moderate, or participate in other groups
You're best option is to find a way to self-correct it, rather than hope for intercession by support.
Shal

Fiona Pinsker

Yes I had typod the new email address. I signed into the faulty address and regained ownership by that, by changing the address to correct and merging them!

It worked!

Fiona

> Following. I am still having this problem and the post linked didn’t > work for me.

Please tell us as much detail as you can about what you did. What pages were you on, what did you type, what did you see.

> I may need to just start another group and ignore the first > as /*now*/ there is no owner!

Technically there is still an owner, but with a typo'd email address.

Go over what I wrote a few days ago (below) and be as detailed as you can about describing what you see and answering my questions. We have only what you tell us to go on.

Shal

Neil,

> I tried what was described with no luck.

Did you try specifically this:
Log in with the typo'd address, then change it back.
https://groups.io/g/GroupManagersForum/message/34995

If you in the mean time have created a new account with the correct
email address then log out and attempt to "fix" the bad address. It
will offer to merge the two accounts. Don't do that if you've rejoined
the group (as a member) using the new account. Instead, provide more
details about the exact circumstances.

> I need admin to reset the account or delete the group.

Other questions:
Is there another owner of the group?
Are there any members of the group other than you?
Does that account own, moderate, or participate in other groups

You're best option is to find a way to self-correct it, rather than
hope for intercession by support.

Shal

Neil,

The issue is that the email used was in error and could not be
delivered.
Understood.

So the new loving email cannot be confirmed and doesn’t exist
in Groups.io.
Oh, but it does. You created an account for it, notwithstanding the lack of confirmation.

Hence the advice to log out.

Then log back in using the typo'd address. You won't be able to use the Email me a link method, of course, but you should still be able to use your password to log in with the bad address.

There should be a default to revert to the previous email if not
confirmed. This is a major pita.
I agree, but for now what's been done has been to add an extra "Are you sure" to the email change.
https://beta.groups.io/g/main/message/26900

It seems like you still haven't read or responded to my prior messages, quoted below.

Shal

Neil,

> Following. I am still having this problem and the post linked didn’t
> work for me.
Please tell us as much detail as you can about what you did. What pages were you on, what did you type, what did you see.

> I may need to just start another group and ignore the first
> as /*now*/ there is no owner!
Technically there is still an owner, but with a typo'd email address.
Go over what I wrote a few days ago (below) and be as detailed as you can about describing what you see and answering my questions. We have only what you tell us to go on.
Shal

Neil,

 > I tried what was described with no luck.

Did you try specifically this:
Log in with the typo'd address, then change it back.
https://groups.io/g/GroupManagersForum/message/34995

If you in the mean time have created a new account with the correct email address then log out and attempt to "fix" the bad address. It will offer to merge the two accounts. Don't do that if you've rejoined the group (as a member) using the new account. Instead, provide more details about the exact circumstances.

 > I need admin to reset the account or delete the group.

Other questions:
Is there another owner of the group?
Are there any members of the group other than you?
Does that account own, moderate, or participate in other groups

You're best option is to find a way to self-correct it, rather than hope for intercession by support.

Shal

Fiona Pinsker

Yes yes that was my problem exactly...

Thanks