Hashtag not working as expected #hashtag #peterd #55002 #hashtag #peterd

Peter Davies

I'm new to hashtags, and learning as I go along.

I created hashtag #55002 for a group member to use on his posts (the number means something to him, so he doesn't forget it)
Although groups.io accepts the hashtag with the numbers, and has created a hashtag #55002, the posted topics containing this Hashtag (in the subject line) are not counted, and it doesn't seem to be possible to do any filtering on this hashtag.

I strongly suspect that Hashtags should be upper or lower case letters only, and that the numerical only Hashtag isn't being recognised?
Would this suspicion be correct - or should #55002 work, and if that is the case, I am obviously doing something else wrong !

Thanks,

Peter D.

Duane

On Sun, Oct 25, 2020 at 04:21 PM, Peter Davies wrote:
Would this suspicion be correct - or should #55002 work
Based on a quick test, hashtags must start with a letter, upper or lower case.  I tried making #a55002 and it seems to be working.  You may want to use a related character to make it easier to remember.  Say it's for a boat group, make it a b, for a plane group, make it a p, etc.  Case doesn't make any difference, but the one you use to create it is the one that will be displayed on messages.

Duane

Duane

On Sun, Oct 25, 2020 at 05:07 PM, Duane wrote:
Based on a quick test, hashtags must start with a letter, upper or lower case.
I did a bit more testing.  Seems that it can't be all numbers, but works as long as there's one letter, hyphen, or underline in it someplace, even at the beginning or end.

Duane

Peter Davies

Duane,

That makes perfect sense.

The original hashtag that I allocated (and tested) was #nd55002 and this seemed to work fine.
the contributor had problems with the "nd" so I suggested that he dropped the "nd" and just use #55002 - which I didn't re-test.

If necessary, I will ask the contributor to go back to the #nd55002, or find another hashtag that can be remembered.

I wonder though - if I created another new and valid Hashtag - could I use an alias to point #55002 at the "new, valid" hashtag - or am I just creating more problems for the future?

Thanks,

Peter D.