Customizing Your Profile (Identity)
Go to your Account page - under your name (top right).
The left side of your account page displays these options:
Login - your email address - change it here. Password - change or delete. Email aliases.
Preferences - time zone, date format, editor preference on the website, receiving your own posts by email
Security - set up 2-factor authentification
Identity - your profile. See details below.
Other Services - oauth logins, if any
Billing - If you have a premium or enterprise account, your credit card on file and payment history.
On that page, you can set a display name, tell others about yourself, and post a photo if you would like to do so. You can set this information for the Groups.io site (your account profile) and/or for each group you're subscribed to (group profiles).
You can also create a display name.
Set your profile privacy: Public, other members of your group, or only group owners and moderators.
Save changes by clicking update group profile.
Important - your email address is your account ID.
Changing Your Email Address
- Log into Groups.io.
Note: If you don't have a password already, you can create one from the main Groups.io page or use one of the other options (email me a link, or log in with Facebook or Google).
- On the home page for your group, click on your name in the top right corner.
- Click Account.
- On the login page that appears, enter your new email address in the Email field (overwriting what is already there).
- Click the Change Email button.
- Look for the email message sent to the destination email address.
- Click on the link in that email to complete the change.
Adding an Email Alias
Since your account ID is your email address, you can only email from that address, unless you set an email alias. This is useful if you wanted to email to a group from your work computer.
Note that an email alias is a POST-ONLY address. You will not receive mail at that email alias, nor can you set up an alias using an email address that is already in use as an established groups.io account.
Set that up on your group site - go to your name in the top right corner
- Login to your account.
- Select "Account" from the top right after logging in.
- Scroll down to the bottom of the page where it says "Advanced Settings For Email Aliases" and click on the right arrow at the far right of that line.
- Enter the e-mail alias in the space below the text, then click the blue "Add Email Alias" button right below it.
If you have two or more accounts, you lose the advantage of seeing all messages from your groups in one list using Your Groups and managing muted or followed topics and hashtags. You can merge the accounts. (Do it one email address at a time!)
Below are the steps necessary to perform an account merge.
1) Log into the account that you want to inactivate. If you don't know how to log in, instructions can be found here.
2) Pull down the menu at top right and select Account (or browse to https://groups.io/account)
3) In the "Email" field at the top of the page, enter the address you want to merge into (i.e.: overwriting what is already there).
4) Click the "Change Email" button.
5) Groups.io will notify you of the fact that the account already exists, and ask if you want to merge them.
6) Click the blue button below this notification to confirm your intent to merge.
7) An email will be sent to the destination email address.
8) Clicking on the link in that email will again take you to the login page.
9) Log in under the destination email address, using either the account password or the "email me a link" button.
10) Click on the blue button to complete the merge.
If for any reason you can't log into either of the two accounts, the merge is not possible.