(unofficial) Help for members (and would-be group members) and group managers
GMF's wiki is a place where we can collect reference material about Groups.io, stuff that goes beyond what's available through Groups.io's help page.
It is an adjunct to the discussions in this group, and a place to collaborate. Hopefully this wiki will become a useful peer-to-peer collection of reference documents for group moderators and owners.
You can help by writing or correcting articles, or just by commenting in a message to the group.
And don't forget about the official Help page (see the Help link in the top and bottom bars on every page).
Quick-Start Guide for Members
If you're new to Groups.io, or just thinking about joining a group on the Groups.io service, here's some info to help you get started.
- Joining a group - whether you are new to Groups.io or already a member
- How to Log In to your groups
- Reading messages on the group's web pages
- Reading messages by email - Your friend, the Footer
- Replying to messages - by email or the group homepage
- Replying privately (or off-group)
Advice to Group Members
How-to guides and other helpful pages for users of Groups.io groups.
- All about Logging In and Setting a Password
- Profile and Email Address - Identity, changing email address, adding an email alias, merging accounts.
b) Group Subscriptions
- Email Message Subscription Options
- Choose subscription options on your group site - go to GROUPNAME.groups.io/g/main/editsub (substitute your group name for GROUPNAME)
- Use email to join a group, change your subscription, contact the group owner: Email commands
- Spam: Removed for Marking Messages as spam
- Muting and Following to reduce Inbox overload.
- Getting a "Help" email
c) Topics and Messages
- Using the Search Engine
- How To Stop Getting Two Copies Of Emails You Send
- Message composition - tips and tricks
- Message drafts and how they work
- Starting new threads and the threading algorithm
- Problems receiving group emails
- Complaints About Messages
d) Web Features
- Help! I Can't Find Any Group Content!
- Directory and Members list
- How to make a photo album
- Photo Search
- Bulk File Upload
- Setting up a Database
- How RSVPs Work
- Chat Overview
- Wikis - How to Create a Wiki: Guide for Users and Editors
- Adding Calendar Events by Email
- Locking a Group (or Subgroup)
Best Practices for Group Management
Topics of interest to group owners and moderators.
a) Group Formation
- Quick Start Group Formation
- Transferring from a Yahoo Group
- Direct Add member (Premium or Enterprise) - plus exporting email addresses from Yahoo
- Inviting New Members - for all plans
- The 20-Invitation Limit
- Renaming a Group
- Why use a Subgroup
b) Member Management
- Message Moderation - Setting it up for your group
- Status Badges in the Members List
- Group Rules, Guidelines, and Codes of Conduct
- Member Notices
- Screening New Members - Pending Subscription Notice
- Member List Download
- Dealing with Bouncing
- Banned Domains
c) Moderator Management
- Promotion, Status or Permissions Change to Moderator or Owner
- Owner Emails
d) Topics and Messages
- Message Approval - using the Pending list and Message Approval Needed email notices to moderate messages
- How To Merge Threads
- How to Split Threads
- Creating and Using HashTags
- Editing a message or topic
e) Web Features
- Attachments, Files and Photos - Management
- Part 2: Settings for attachments and how they appear (In Preparation)
- Deleting attachments, files and photos
- Calendar repeating events
- Donations (premium and enterprise groups only)
- Wikis - creating a wiki
- Sync with your Google Calendar
- Facebook integration problems
Help write Help
If you've read the official Groups.io help pages and found a typo, or an awkward or unclear phrase, or even a mistake, here's your chance to make it better: visit the Groups.io Help page Mock-up and make it better. No promises, but there's a good chance that Groups.io will adopt good ideas into the official help page.