See also the official documentation:
Help Center > Members Manual > Logging in to your account
Groups.io is both an email list service, and a web site that stores the list messages and where list managers and members can store additional content (files, photos, wiki pages, databases, etc.).
If you receive list messages by email, and only need to reply by email, then you may never need to visit or log in to the Groups.io site. Refer to Help Center > Members Manual > Additional information > Standard group email addresses for ways to control your subscription by email.
When you visit the Groups.io site it does not initially know who you are or what groups you subscribe to. The log in page is how you associate your web session with your account and subscriptions at Groups.io, until you log in you only have access to pages and content that are available to the general public. This would include the Groups.io home page and a limited version of all group home pages; but it may not include the messages of any groups to which you subscribe nor their Photos, Files, or other resources.
When you are not logged in the Groups.io home page (https://groups.io/) looks like this:
If you are already subscribed to one or more Groups.io groups (that is, you receive their messages by email) then you don't need to Sign Up for an account -- you already have one. Use the Log In link in the upper right to bring you to the Login page:
In Groups.io, your email address is your account ID, enter it together with your password then click the green Log In button. If you use a different email address with some groups, then each email address you use has its own account; you can only be logged into one of them at a time (unless you use separate browsers, or special browser features to separate the cookies used in different windows).
If you haven't set a password, or you forget your password, use the Email me a link to log in button or see the section below on Setting Your Password.
If you don't see the email from Groups.io, check your spam or junk mail folder. The message will be
From: Groups.io <email@example.com>
Subject: Link to log into Groups.io
The emailed link expires 60 minutes after it was sent. If you don't happen receive or use it before it expires don't worry: just go back to the Login page and request another one.
Clicking the link in the message will bring you to Groups.io, logged in.
Once you log in on a particular device or browser you stay logged for at least 30 days. The login is managed by a cookie stored in your browser. If your browser or device does not accept cookies you will not be able to use the site except for browsing public areas.
The login cookie is created by logging in.
- It expires in 30 days, but each visit to the site extends the 30-day timeout.
- If you delete your browser cookies, or your security software deletes them, you will be logged out.
- If your browser is set to delete cookies on exit you will be logged out.
- If your browser is set to Private Browsing, you will have to log in again.
Note: The login page also contains options for logging in with Facebook or Google.
Setting Your Password
Maybe you've been using the Email me a link to log in feature to log in without a password.
Or clicked through a link in an Invitation, which also logged you in without a password.
Or perhaps you were transferred from a Yahoo Group or Google group, accepted an invitation by email, or joined by email, and you have just been getting the messages by email.
Now you want to read older messages or use tools on your group's website, such as files or the calendar. You can (continue to) use the Email me a link to log in feature or you can set a password to log in to Groups.io.
If you are not logged in and want to set a password:
- Visit any Groups.io page.
- At the upper right you will see:
Click the link to Log In.
- On the Log In page, click either the Forgot your password, or don't have one yet? link or the Email me a link to log in button. It doesn't matter which you use, both do the same thing.
- Follow the instructions to send a Log In message to your email address
- When you receive that message click on the link in it.
Clicking the link in the message will bring you to Groups.io, logged in. Proceed as below:
If you are logged in without a password and want to set one:
- Visit any Groups.io page.
- At the upper right, you will see your name and a down arrow (upside-down triangle).
Click on your name to open a menu:
- Click Account. A page with your Login settings appears.
- In the Password field, enter a password that is a minimum of 6 characters long. This password will apply to all Groups.io groups that you're subscribed to with the email address shown in the menu (above). If you use a different email address with some groups, that email address has its own account and requires its own password.
- Click the blue Change Password button.