Topics

Unsuccessful attempts

Jim Pruitt

I have a member of a group I co-own that contacted me via owner email stating that he is being refused when he attempts to send a message.  He is subscribed under 2 different email addresses and gets email from the list on both of those addresses but is refused when sending messages to/with either address.  I just looked at his message activity history and it shows:attempted
Attempted
Sep 19
Response
mx03.oxsus-vadesecure.net: 421 4.2.1 Connection refused - OXSUS0001_130

The most recent bounce was back in mid April.  When I check the member in Admin/Members it shows that he is a member.  When looking at his message activity it shows he posted successfully on Sept 11 and 3 on Sept 10. Member status shows "Member" and not moderated.

Why would he be refused since he is a valid member?  And why would it have suddenly changed but no notice to him or me?

Thank you.

Jim Pruitt

Duane

On Sun, Sep 20, 2020 at 04:26 PM, Jim Pruitt wrote:
mx03.oxsus-vadesecure.net: 421 4.2.1 Connection refused - OXSUS0001_130
I believe that says his email service refused the connection from groups.io to transfer his message.  Services are always changing things, sometimes not for the better.

Jim,

I have a member of a group I co-own that contacted me via owner email
stating that he is being refused when he attempts to send a message.
... I just looked at his message activity history and it shows:

Attempted
Sep 19
Response
mx03.oxsus-vadesecure.net: 421 4.2.1 Connection refused -
Your report is confusing me.

The Message Activity tab of your group's Activity log would be the correct place to look for clues about why his postings are being refused, but what you quoted doesn't fit the format of an activity log entry.

If you're looking at the Email Delivery History tab of his membership page that refers only to messages sent TO him by the group, not his attempts to post a message.

The most recent bounce was back in mid April.
That furthers my suspicion that you've got a confusion of direction. The panel of Recent Bounces in the member's Email Delivery History tab is only about instances when the member did not RECEIVE a message.

When I check the member in Admin/Members it shows that he is a member.
When looking at his message activity ...
There is no tab of a member's page in the Members list titled "Message Activity", so I don't know what you are looking at.

Why would he be refused since he is a valid member? And why would it
have suddenly changed but no notice to him or me?
There are many reasons a message from a member might be rejected. Have a look at your group's Activity page and drop the "Actions" list. Note the various "Message rejected ..." items that relate to a member's attempt to post a message.

You ought to be able to leave the list set to "All actions" and search on the member's email address, each of them one at a time, (enter the whole address) to see if any of the "Message rejected" items show up in the search results.

As a wild guess another possibility is that the person accidentally attempted to post to your group using an address which is not subscribed to your group. In this case you may find "Non-member message" entries corresponding to the date/time of his failed attempts.

Help: https://groups.io/helpcenter

Jim Pruitt

Shal,
I got there by selecting the member and then looking at activity history.  Then I went to "Email Delivery History" while still looking at that member's activity.  The second box there was "Most Recent Unsuccessful Attempt" and I quoted what was in that box.  Someone else said the lot says the member's ISP rejected the message although I did not see it there unless it is the "

mx03.oxsus-vadesecure.net: 421 4.2.1 Connection refused"

Now that same member shows no recent unsuccessful and he did post a message to the group so I know it is working but still have no clue why it had failed.  The member was logged in to GIO with the account he used for membership to the group so that was not why they were not succeeding but it appears to be working now.  I have no clue who vadesecure.net is but that is not the member's ISP.  I wondered if it was a black list provider but did not know.

Thank you.

Jim

Jim,

On Mon, Sep 21, 2020 at 05:27 AM, Jim Pruitt wrote:
I have no clue who vadesecure.net is
That's a service that ISPs can buy for screening email of those that use Office 365, https://www.vadesecure.com

Jim,

I got there by selecting the member and then looking at activity
history. Then I went to "Email Delivery History" while still looking
at that member's activity.
That's what I thought, and as I said those pages report whether or not group postings have been delivered TO the member's email service.

The second box there was "Most Recent Unsuccessful Attempt" and I
quoted what was in that box. Someone else said the lot says the
member's ISP rejected the message although I did not see it there
unless it is the "
mx03.oxsus-vadesecure.net: 421 4.2.1 Connection refused"
That is exactly it.

A 4xy response code is a temporary rejection. The member's email service is telling Groups.io to "try again later". That code is why it is listed as an "Unsuccessful Attempt" rather than a bounce. The message may later be successfully delivered when Groups.io retries (or not).

For reference, 5xy is a permanent rejection ("don't try again") - these go in the Recent Bounces panel. 2xy is success, the most recent of which goes in the Successful Delivery panel.

Now that same member shows no recent unsuccessful and he did post a
message to the group so I know it is working but still have no clue
why it had failed.
To find out why a post FROM the member wasn't received by the group you need to look in the group's Activity page, as I suggested before.

Help: https://groups.io/helpcenter