Time Zone Issue for Events

Society of Genealogists Volunteer Community

Hi all,

I see there have been issues with Feed View time zones in the past and the latest reference I can find to this on the GMF was a couple of months ago.

But our event times are still showing as incorrect timezone in the Feed view, I've checked to make sure that individual accounts and calendar entries have correct time zones - should I be seeing the times line up or has there been another issue recently?

Attaching a screengrab - the events showing as 7am are actually all at 3pm, and the 10am event is actually at 6pm, so 8 hours earlier. Any advice appreciated.

Cheers, Christine

Cheers, Christine.

Christine,

But our event times are still showing as incorrect timezone in the
Feed view,
Bear in mind that the Feed view is shown in the time zone of the logged in account. I believe that's as it should be.

I've checked to make sure that individual accounts and calendar
entries have correct time zones - should I be seeing the times line up
or has there been another issue recently?
No issue that I can see. My Feed is showing me events from various group subscriptions at the times I expect for those events.

Those events with timezones different from mine are adjusted. For example, one group has an event defined as occurring at 2:05 central time. In my feed it shows at 12:05 because I'm in pacific time, two hours behind central time.

Attaching a screengrab - the events showing as 7am are actually all at
3pm, and the 10am event is actually at 6pm, so 8 hours earlier.
This strongly suggest that your logged-in account is set for Pacific Standard time (UTC-0800) whereas the events themselves are defined in UTC time. Or some other combination with an 8 hour difference.

So I think your assertion that the accounts (only the one you're logged in with matters) and the calendar events have correct time zones needs further examination. Or maybe your perception that the Feed is incorrect is mistaken.

Shal

--
Help: https://groups.io/helpcenter
More Help: https://groups.io/g/GroupManagersForum/wiki
Even More Help: Search button at the top of Messages list

Mdivine

Christine

I also reported incorrect times for feed view  in GIO beta group. It was in response to another incorrect time report.
My logged in account time zone and the group are AZ time zone. The feed shows incorrect time for events.
I am located and logged into account in AZ time zone.

Since AZ is different,  due to daylight savings time, thought it may be issue related to it only. My time is incorrect in feed view also. 

Thanks for looking at this Shal,

I've been to Account>Preferences and the Time Zone is UTC (Dublin Edinburgh Lisbon London), and each of the calendar events I've created has the same time zone.

Is there somewhere else I should be finding another time zone setting that I'm missing?

Cheers, Christine

Christine,

I've been to Account>Preferences and the Time Zone is UTC (Dublin Edinburgh Lisbon London), and each of the calendar events I've created has the same time zone.

Hmm... That's puzzling.

I've verified that the the Feed page displays according to the account's Time Zone setting (and isn't simply defaulting to, say, U.S. Pacific, because that's where Groups.io is):

vs

The screenshot on the left is an account in U.S. Pacific time, the screenshot on the right is in U.S. Eastern time. They have the expected three hour difference in the events. And just to complete the test, neither of those are the same as the timezone set in the event itself, yet all the correct adjustments were made:

Is there somewhere else I should be finding another time zone setting that I'm missing?

Not that I know of.

In my example the Hashtag event is at 2:05 am Central, which would be 0805 UTC. Each of the viewing members see a local time that also corresponds to 0805 UTC.

So that leaves me baffled how you can be seeing an offset of 8 hours if both the event and the viewing member have the same timezone setting. It is possible that there's a bug of some kind in the system, or that there's something we're missing. I don't know if it is something awry in your description or in my understanding.

One suspicious thing is that your time zone is currently UTC+0000 (and will be until summer time takes effect, if it does in your locale). Maybe that's somehow...

vs

Nope. Even setting the account timezone of the login I'm using to view the feed to your timezone gets me the correct absolute time.

Shal

--

Hi again Shal,

I'm also finding that  an event appears as 

but from feed view I click on 'Your Calendar' and the same event appears in the calendar with the correct time.

and it's the same scenario with every event, so yes, there's something glitchy somewhere.

It's not a huge deal, I've just been telling group members to view the events within the calendar and disregard the feed view times, but it certainly is curious :)

Thank you, Christine

Christine,

I'm also finding that  an event appears as 

but from feed view I click on 'Your Calendar' and the same event appears in the calendar with the correct time.

and it's the same scenario with every event, so yes, there's something glitchy somewhere.

There's something definitely fishy if those two screen shots were taken with the same login. Feed and Your Calendar ought to reflect the same timezone. The calendar as seen through the group too. I will admit that I almost never look at Feed or any of the other combined-groups pages though.

It's not a huge deal, I've just been telling group members to view the events within the calendar and disregard the feed view times, but it certainly is curious :)

With that evidence in hand I'd be tempted to report the bug in beta.

It just bugs me that I can't reproduce it though. Are you saying that other members also see a discrepancy between Feed and Your Calendar, or the group's Calendar?

Shal

--

Duane

On Sun, Nov 29, 2020 at 08:01 PM, Shal Farley wrote:
It just bugs me that I can't reproduce it though.
FWIW, I can't either.  All of my times match, no matter where I see them.

Duane
--
The official Groups.io user documentation is in the Groups.io Help Center.
GMF's Unofficial Help Wiki: https://groups.io/g/GroupManagersForum/wiki

Thanks Shal and Duane,

I never really looked at the feed view until one group member who lives in the same time zone pointed out the time discrepancy to me, so I'm definitely not the only one seeing it, but I haven't polled other members. Could do that though.

The screen shots I posted are both from within my own login as group owner, the timezone preference on my account and the timezone I used to set the events are an exact match, the 3pm events appear as 3pm in the calendar and on their individual calendar pages, and as 7am in the Feed View. 

How do I go about reporting something in beta?

Cheers, Christine