Topics

Signature

Jackye Sullins

When I Composed this message, my signature appears below.  However, when I write a member from the website as admin., my signature does not appear. Can someone please explain why that would be?
--
Jackye Sullins, Hawthorne, CA
British-Jewry co-owner with Sherry Landa

Bruce Bowman

On Sat, Jul 4, 2020 at 11:45 AM, Jackye Sullins wrote:
When I Composed this message, my signature appears below.  However, when I write a member from the website as admin., my signature does not appear.
Click on Subscription on the left-side menu bar. On the resulting page, in the Signature block, make sure both boxes are checked ("Use signature for...").

Sig lines are a subscription setting, not an account setting...so you'll need to do this separately for every group you're a member of.

Hope this helps,
Bruce

Check out the new groups.io Help Center and groups.io Owners Manual

Jackye Sullins

I checked that before writing and they were both already checked.
--
Jackye Sullins, Hawthorne, CA
British-Jewry co-owner with Sherry Landa

Bruce Bowman

Oops...sorry, I think I misunderstood.

Yes, the sig line in your Subscription setting applies only to regular group posts. If you're composing a private message from the member list, you'll have to append something manually.

The easiest way to do this is to put your desired sig line in a Member Notice of type "Note to Member" and select that from the Notices pull-down so as to populate it in the editor.

As for "why this should be," I personally wouldn't want a sig line that I created for a regular post to the group to automatically append to a private message. Granted, it can be removed/replaced in the editor during subsequent message composition...but I don't want to have to remember to do that.

Okay, I hope I helped this time.

Bruce

Check out the new groups.io Help Center and groups.io Owners Manual

Jackye Sullins

I think it's very strange.  It's an Admin. private message so it should look official.
--
Jackye Sullins, Hawthorne, CA
British-Jewry co-owner with Sherry Landa

terry turner

Some groups would want the administrators to be an anonymous third party to deflect hard feelings.
Terry

On Sat, Jul 4, 2020 at 1:36 PM Jackye Sullins <jsullins@...> wrote:
I think it's very strange.  It's an Admin. private message so it should look official.
--
Jackye Sullins, Hawthorne, CA
British-Jewry co-owner with Sherry Landa

Glenn Glazer

And some would consider it overly stuffy or formal. Or, as is the case in the groups I run, we are very formal, but there is only one moderator (me, except for a backup in case something happens) and so everyone knows who such mail comes from without needing a signature to disambiguate.

Options are okay, but there are many, many kinds of groups and group cultures and I would want to see a feature based on a particular subculture required for everyone. Said a little differently, at the moment, people who want a signature can paste it in, but if it happened automatically, others would have to resort to some variation of null or empty string to create a blank signature that didn't appear.

Best,

Glenn

On 7/4/2020 13:50, terry turner wrote:
Some groups would want the administrators to be an anonymous third party to deflect hard feelings.
Terry

On Sat, Jul 4, 2020 at 1:36 PM Jackye Sullins <jsullins@...> wrote:
I think it's very strange.  It's an Admin. private message so it should look official.
--
Jackye Sullins, Hawthorne, CA
British-Jewry co-owner with Sherry Landa

Bob Bellizzi

I use Message to Member mainly to help others to remain within the boundaries of our Terms and Conditions and having an informal signature seems to soften the feeling of overbearing authority.
Since the opinion obviously varies greatly, it would seem to be more logical to "allow" anyone who wishes to have a signature on an administrative message to build their own to copy and paste as needed.
--

Bob Bellizzi

Jackye Sullins

This is an admin. message to pending memberships as well as current members.  I'm taking away from this that it's not possible at this time.  Am I correct?
--
Jackye Sullins, Hawthorne, CA
British-Jewry co-owner with Sherry Landa

Glenn Glazer

Apologies, that should be "I would not want to see..."

Best,

Glenn

Bob Bellizzi

Answered in msg #32656
--

Bob Bellizzi

Jackye,

This is an admin. message to pending memberships as well as current
members. I'm taking away from this that it's not possible at this
time.
Correct.

As Bruce said in his second reply to you, the Signature you provide on your Subscription page only applies to group postings, not to direct messages to selected members.

One thing you could do is join the beta group (if you haven't) and suggest that a third checkbox be added:

|_| Use Signature For Send Message to Member

Or maybe together with a second Signature box, if you'd want to use a different Signature for such messages than for group postings.
https://beta.groups.io/g/main/guidelines

Help: https://groups.io/helpcenter