Topics

Sending Guidelines Update Early

Art Kocsis

Is there an easy way to immediately send an updated Guidelines (as a guidelines notice), to all members short of posting it as a regular message? I would like to send an updated version out now rather than wait until the first of next month.

Namaste', Art

Frances

On Sun, Jul 5, 2020 at 09:40 PM, Art Kocsis wrote:
Is there an easy way to immediately send an updated Guidelines (as a guidelines notice), to all members short of posting it as a regular message? I would like to send an updated version out now rather than wait until the first of next month.
While I don't see an automated way, your guidelines page has a URL. You could send that out as a regular post or as Special Notice.

Frances

--
GMF wiki for help. Search box at the top of each page.

Check out the new groups.io Help Center  Use your browser to search or download the PDF.

Art,

Is there an easy way to immediately send an updated Guidelines (as a
guidelines notice), to all members short of posting it as a regular
message?
Not necessarily easy, depending on how many members in your group, but you can select a page-full of members at a time in your group's Members list then choose Send Message from the Actions menu (bottom of the page).

On the message composition page that opens, you can select your group's Guidelines from the Notices drop-list. That will place a copy of your group Guidelines into the composition box, where you can modify it if desired, then click the Send To Members button. Any changes you make here won't be stored back to the actual Guidelines; so you could preface the Guidelines copy with "New" banner or other introductory text that will appear only in this emailed copy.

You can make this method somewhat less tedious by changing your Items Per Page setting to 100 instead of the default 20. That's found on your Account > Preferences page. One of the choices is "Infinite scroll", but I'm not sure if that works well with the Members list or other pages that have buttons on the bottom.

This method has the advantage that it is emailed to every member you select, regardless of the member's Subscription settings. It has the corresponding disadvantage of not being stored in the group's Messages section for those members who prefer to use the group's Web interface.

On the whole, it might be easier to copy/paste the new Guidelines text (or a link to it, as Frances suggested) into a New Topic and check the "Send this message as a special notice" box.

Shal

--
Help: https://groups.io/helpcenter
More Help: https://groups.io/g/GroupManagersForum/wiki
Even More Help: Search button at the top of Messages list

Art Kocsis

Thanks for the response, Shal

On 07-05-2020 22:51, Shal Farley wrote:
Art wrote,
Is there an easy way to immediately send an updated Guidelines (as a
guidelines notice), to all members short of posting it as a regular
message?
Not necessarily easy, depending on how many members in your group, but you can select a page-full of members at a time in your group's Members list then choose Send Message from the Actions menu (bottom of the page).

On the message composition page that opens, you can select your group's Guidelines from the Notices drop-list. That will place a copy of your group Guidelines into the composition box, where you can modify it if desired, then click the Send To Members button.
OK, I see that. I don't frequent the actions button often so was unaware of that path. However, that doesn't seem any different than just posting a message to the group.

You can make this method somewhat less tedious by changing your Items Per Page setting to 100 instead of the default 20. That's found on your Account > Preferences page. One of the choices is "Infinite scroll", but I'm not sure if that works well with the Members list or other pages that have buttons on the bottom.
I have mine set to 100 but with a group size of ~3000 it would be brain-dead tedious. The "infinite scroll" option is worthless for any group over a few hundred members. The option is a misnomer as it only loads a block of ~100 (?) at a time, requiring one to scroll to the page bottom to trigger the next block. It is actually slower than the fixed 100 per page option. And one has to reach the bottom in order to see the actions button.

However, there is a fairly easy hack to manually specify the display to start at any position, any number of items per page, sort, search string, etc for any list. Since this issue keeps popping up I guess I should find my notes and post the process. IIRC, loading 3000 members for a single page took far less than 30 seconds

This method has the advantage that it is emailed to every member you select, regardless of the member's Subscription settings. It has the corresponding disadvantage of not being stored in the group's Messages section for those members who prefer to use the group's Web interface.
Oh. Ok, so there is a difference.

On the whole, it might be easier to copy/paste the new Guidelines text (or a link to it, as Frances suggested) into a New Topic and check the "Send this message as a special notice" box.
Great. This sounds like exactly what I wanted. Silly me, I was looking at the "Member Notices" page for ways to send notices. I never post via the web so was completely unaware of that possibility.

If you would be so kind, could you explain the differences/ramifications between regular message posts, "special message" posts, "member notices" posts and member list "send message" actions? Is the primary difference in their retention in the message archives? Recipients?

Thanks in advance for your elucidation.

Art

Frances

On Mon, Jul 6, 2020 at 09:55 AM, Art Kocsis wrote:
If you would be so kind, could you explain the differences/ramifications between regular message posts, "special message" posts, "member notices" posts and member list "send message" actions? Is the primary difference in their retention in the message archives? Recipients?
I think the difference is whether you allow "no mail". If the "least" you allow is "special message" you can send to a post to all members. If you try to send a message with your guidelines through the regular post (or even Special Notices), "No Mail" members won't get it.

From the Help:
4.6.2 Disable No Email
Select this checkbox if you do not want to allow group members to use the No Email option for email delivery in their subscription settings. When you select this checkbox, the No Email option will not be available on group members’ individual subscription pages.
Note: Members will still be able to select the Special Notices Only email delivery option in their subscription settings.

I won't attempt to answer your full question - but see this from the Help:
https://groups.io/helpcenter/ownersmanual/1/managing-member-notices

Frances

--
GMF wiki for help. Search box at the top of each page.

Check out the new groups.io Help Center  Use your browser to search or download the PDF.

Art,

If you would be so kind, could you explain the
differences/ramifications between regular message posts, "special
message" posts, "member notices" posts and member list "send message"
actions? Is the primary difference in their retention in the message
archives? Recipients?

Correct, they differ in those regards.

New Topic + " Send this message as a special notice" is a regular message post, except that it is also sent to members who've selected "Special Notices Only" as their Email Delivery option (whereas regular messages are not sent to those members), and it is also sent as an individual message to members who've selected Digest or Summary (they are still included in the digest / summary). It also has the [special] tag added into its Subject text. Its purpose is to allow group owners/mods to send a message to the group that has a higher chance of being read than a normal message post.

Send Message from the Members list and Member Notices from the Settings page are sent to one or more specific members and are not posted in the group's Messages section nor are they subject to the member's Email Delivery and Message Selection options. I call these both Member Notices with the ones from the Members list being manually generated while the ones from the Member Notices tab in the Settings page being automatically generated on specified conditions (or being template text for a manual action).

The exceptions to the above are Guidelines and Monthly - those two are really Group Notices even though they are specified through the Member Notices tab on the Settings page. They get posted to the group (and included in the group's Messages section). In the docs group there was mention of renaming that tab to just "Notices" since it does include those two Group Notices, but I don't think that's necessary.

I've defined some of the Notice and Notification terminology in the Notifications page in GMF's Wiki. More details about the various options can be found in the Help Center.

Shal

--
Help: https://groups.io/helpcenter
More Help: https://groups.io/g/GroupManagersForum/wiki
Even More Help: Search button at the top of Messages list