Topics

Photos attached or placed in emails to my Group are much diminished in size - WHY

NY City Model Transit System, by Joseph. Frank (Irtelman)

Hello  folks.

I noted that when I send a photo "embedded" in the text of an email to go to my group (I am the owner) - when I get my email copy back -- the photo looks the full proper size --- but when I return to that email -- its quite diminished.  Ie:  A photo I sent was 421 KB in size --- and when I looked at it on my delivered email thru Groups.io -- the image was reduced to 53.11 KB --- terribly small and useless to view for details.   HOWEVER - When I sent the same image the same way via email to my original (still active) Yahoo group of the same name  -- the delivered back member message email to me  shows the full 421 KB size in the email text body !!!!

So WHY is Groups.io severely diminishing sizes of email sent images.  Even when placed in the top attachment line -- the image when opened on the email (via click on to the attachment thumbnail)  also is tremendously reduced too small !!!!

Any answers will be appreciated --  Ken Clark -- you out there !??

Regards - Joe F
Owner
NYC Transit Modelers Group (at Yahoo and at Groups.io)

Chris Jones

On Sat, Jun 1, 2019 at 06:55 AM, NY City Model Transit System, by Joseph. Frank (Irtelman) wrote:
So WHY is Groups.io severely diminishing sizes of email sent images.
It might be me but I found your description a bit confusing. Anyway... to your question.

Go to your Group's Settings page and scroll down to Photos. What have you got set for Max Size in Email?

Change if necessary.

While you are there it might be worth checking Max Size in Photos Section, although that will not have any effect on the problem as outlined.

On Sat, Jun 1, 2019 at 01:55 AM, NY City Model Transit System, by Joseph. Frank (Irtelman) wrote:
noted that when I send a photo "embedded" in the text of an email to go to my group (I am the owner) - when I get my email copy back -- the photo looks the full proper size --- but when I return to that email -- its quite diminished.
Frank -- As you have discovered, embedded images are reduced to 640px in the long dimension. This was the general consensus of group owners after having discussed this feature in beta back in 2016 (ref: https://beta.groups.io/g/main/topic/1881728#8472).

Why? Please keep in mind that some of your subscribers will not be on unlimited data plans could end up paying to receive your big photos. They can restrict the size of attachments delivered via a subscription setting (Subscription>Advanced Preferences>Max Attachment Size), but this option is not available to embedded images.

In summary, this feature is not likely to be changed. If you don't want your images to be resized, don't embed them...attach them.

Hope this helps,
The system Help is your friend.  https://groups.io/static/help