Message Approval Needed notices - no cause given?

Malcolm Austen

When I receive a Message Approval Needed email, I get no clue as to why it needs approval. Am I missing something or must I go to the site before finding the cause?
It would be particularly convenient to know at this stage if it is a non-member post (and therefore can be left lingering) or a new-member-moderation post which I would like to deal with fairly promptly.

Malcolm.

--
Malcolm Austen -- email: malcolm.austen@weald.org.uk

W David Samuelsen

All the members who post for the first time - need approval of their posts. Thereafter they don't need approval again. Non-members can't get in, they have to be members (very bad idea to let non-members posting - they might be spammers).

David Samuelsen

On Sat, Apr 3, 2021 at 8:43 AM Malcolm Austen <malcolm.austen@...> wrote:
When I receive a Message Approval Needed email, I get no clue as to why it
needs approval. Am I missing something or must I go to the site before
finding the cause?
It would be particularly convenient to know at this stage if it is a
non-member post (and therefore can be left lingering) or a
new-member-moderation post which I would like to deal with fairly promptly.

Malcolm.

--
Malcolm Austen -- email: malcolm.austen@...

Bruce Bowman

On Sat, Apr 3, 2021 at 10:43 AM, Malcolm Austen wrote:
When I receive a Message Approval Needed email, I get no clue as to why it needs approval. Am I missing something or must I go to the site before finding the cause?
Malcolm -- To the best of my knowledge, the only way to tell why a particular post has gone into moderation is to check the activity log.

Nivard Ovington

I find this a tad baffling

When I receive a message needs approval message it has the posters email address

And in the body a copy of the subject line and the message post in question that needs approval

I assumed everyone got the same?

Nivard Ovington in Cornwall (UK)

On 03/04/2021 15:35, Malcolm Austen wrote:
When I receive a Message Approval Needed email, I get no clue as to why it needs approval. Am I missing something or must I go to the site before finding the cause?
It would be particularly convenient to know at this stage if it is a non-member post (and therefore can be left lingering) or a new-member-moderation post which I would like to deal with fairly promptly.
Malcolm.

Andy Wedge

On Sat, Apr 3, 2021 at 05:00 PM, W David Samuelsen wrote:
All the members who post for the first time - need approval of their posts
Not necessarily. It depends upon group settings.

Andy

Donald Hellen

Malcolm . . .

(see below)

On Sat, 03 Apr 2021 14:35:50 +0000, "Malcolm Austen"
<malcolm.austen@weald.org.uk> wrote:

When I receive a Message Approval Needed email, I get no clue as to why it
needs approval. Am I missing something or must I go to the site before
finding the cause?
You can set the new member moderation to require approval for the
first, or first two, or first three posts (maybe more) to screen out
spammers who might post a relevant post to see if it posts to the
group then they spam the group with their 2nd or 3rd post of something
they're selling.

It would be particularly convenient to know at this stage if it is a
non-member post (and therefore can be left lingering) or a
new-member-moderation post which I would like to deal with fairly promptly.
Most groups are set up so the public can't post to the group, and some
are set up so the public can't see the messages unless they join
(important for some groups like those that discuss personal medical or
other personal issues). Allowing the public to post without moderation
could be a real problem, but that's for you to decide on the risk and
benefits of each setting.

When you set up a group, most group owners DON'T relay on the default
settings. I won't go so far as to say it's expected that you change
default settings to ones that are appropriate for your group or not.
That's up to you. But I for one would not leave things at the default
settings when setting up a new group and never have. I feel I have
some amount of responsibility to the group to protect them from spam
or people who like to just disrupt a group (I've had issues with the
first item but not the second), and new member moderation helps
address this.

I don't allow non-members to post, and I require 2 or 3 posts that get
moderated before they no longer require moderation. That's called "new
member moderated" and you set how many messages it takes for any new
member to post directly to the group without moderation.

I would suggest every group owner review the settings for the group
before going live with the group. If you have questions about a
setting, this is the place to ask, and there is a group "owners
manual" somewhere that you can read through that will answer most
questions you may have. I can usually find information about GIO
groups with a simple web search.

You can also control picture attachment size or deny attachments to
keep your allowed file storage from quickly filling up.You can put
certain members on permanent moderation if you feel they need
babysitting without affecting others in the group.

There are all sorts of settings to make the group a better place. Just
remember that if you require several posts before a member no longer
requires moderation someone will have to approve all those posts from
new members, and that takes a little of your time. If you have many
groups, that time can add up, so I usually go with requiring 2 or 3
before they can post directly to the group.

It's easy enough to approve a moderated post by just replying to the
email you get. You can also use the link provided to go to the group
site and not approve the post, edit it, etc.

Donald

Malcolm Austen

Thanks for all your replies but I fear I was not clear enough in my question. I think Bruce got it though :-)

I understand new member moderation, I understand about allowing non-members to post which I do as a significant number of my members have aliases and no real discipline in their use. member. I also know about the activity log although it's the flags in the pending queue that I'm really referring to.

When non-member post comes in I get an email notice of the post being held in the pending queue. In the pending list there are flags for NMM, NM, ... but I cannot see anyway to deduce such flagged status in the email notice. I rate this as important because when away from my laptop, I often approve by a simple [reply] to the email on my phone. I have realized though that I don't actually have enough information in the email to make the judgment call.

From your replies, I think I can sensibly post this to [beta] as a #suggestion.

Malcolm.

Chris Jones

On Sat, Apr 3, 2021 at 07:32 PM, Malcolm Austen wrote:
I have realized though that I don't actually have enough information in the email to make the judgment call.
I can see that you may not have immediate access to the status of the poster, but how much does that really matter?

Surely what matters is the appropriateness of the material in the post, not the precise status of its originator.

Or has something important escaped me?

On Sat, Apr 3, 2021 at 03:35 PM, Chris Jones wrote:
I can see that you may not have immediate access to the status of the poster, but how much does that really matter?
A given post can go into moderation for any number of reasons:

  • New member post in a group with NMM.
  • Group itself is fully moderated (like GMF).
  • The topic posted into has been moderated.
  • Subject contains a hashtag with the moderated flag.
  • Post contains an attachment in a group that moderates attachments.
  • Non-member post in a group that allows it...
etc.

As previously noted, the activity log entry tells you why each post goes into moderation...it doesn't seem unreasonable that the email notification should contain that same information. I don't personally have much reason to know but I can see why others might.

Malcolm,

I rate this as important because when away from my laptop, I often
approve by a simple [reply] to the email on my phone.
When on my phone I often click through the "View this message online" link so that I see the Pending message and list in the web form. That does require logging in with my phone's browser, but that's easy enough using he email link to log in.

That depends of course on the capabilities of your phone. I'm using an Android phone with the Gmail app and its built-in browser (chrome variant).

From your replies, I think I can sensibly post this to [beta] as a
#suggestion.
I agree, having the moderation cause info to the email notice would be a convenience.

Help: https://groups.io/helpcenter