Topics

Merge misbehaving

Mark Irving

I'm not sure whether this is something wrong in my web browser, or in my head (or mouse hand), or in Groups.io. I wanted to merge a new message into an existing topic, because a reply had been created as a new topic (with a slightly chnaged subject line). I've done this before. Select Topics view; top topic, one message in it, moderator's submenu to Start merge. Next topic, several messages in it, select moderator's submenu to merge into. Get surprising popup:

That first topic name is right. But the second shouldn't be Action. It should be Challenge treadle sewing machine , can't open top of table. First time I tried this, I mistakenly clicked OK at the same moment I thought, That's not right. It didn't merge; did clear my browser screen.

Is this my mistake, and if so, what? Is it a bug in Groups.io?

 - Mark

Duane

On Mon, Jun 15, 2020 at 02:57 PM, Mark Irving wrote:
Is this my mistake, and if so, what?
It seems to work for me.  Are you selecting the topic to be merged into from the Topics page?  Sounds like it, but I wanted to check.  Could you have accidentally clicked on the wrong topic to merge into?  Could also be a temporary glitch that you timed just wrong. ;>)

On Mon, Jun 15, 2020 at 03:57 PM, Mark Irving wrote:

I've done this before. Select Topics view; top topic, one message in it, moderator's submenu to Start merge. Next topic, several messages in it, select moderator's submenu to merge into. Get surprising popup:

Mark -- That's definitely peculiar. I've been unable to replicate this behavior. What device/browser you are using?

You might wait awhile and try again. It could be that a merge cannot be done until the message is indexed by the search engine. Failing that, you can try the topics-test approach to merging that Shal mentioned recently and see if that works better for you.

No definitive answer here by a long shot, just some ideas. Please report back on what you find out.

Check out the new groups.io Help Center and groups.io Owners Manual

Mark Irving

Device+browser: Firefox, Windows 10, current versions and updates for both, desktop computer with 1920x1080 display.

I've waited a while, cleared my browser cache, and tried again. I'm still seeing the name Action instead of the name of the second thread in my Topics list. I have been selecting the first and second threads (top and next-to-top). That most recent message is now over five hours old, so there should have been time to pat it gently into place in the index.

I haven't tried the topics-test equivalent of the regular Merge commands.

 - Mark

Mark Irving

Awkward thought: is it something to do with the word table in the title of the topic I'm trying to merge into?

 - Mark

Bruce Bowman

Still very odd. I inserted the word "table" somewhere in the destination topic -- no dice. I also tried it with the errant comma.

Let see what happens with an identical subject line...hmmm, got the same problem you did (see attached screenshot)!

So there's something about that subject line, but I'm not sure what. You should probably bring this to Mark's attention by posting it in the beta group (https://groups.io/g/beta). Sweeping such things under the rug only means that it will someday crop up again.

Good luck,
Bruce