Topics

Merge misbehaving

Mark Irving

I'm not sure whether this is something wrong in my web browser, or in my head (or mouse hand), or in Groups.io. I wanted to merge a new message into an existing topic, because a reply had been created as a new topic (with a slightly chnaged subject line). I've done this before. Select Topics view; top topic, one message in it, moderator's submenu to Start merge. Next topic, several messages in it, select moderator's submenu to merge into. Get surprising popup:

That first topic name is right. But the second shouldn't be Action. It should be Challenge treadle sewing machine , can't open top of table. First time I tried this, I mistakenly clicked OK at the same moment I thought, That's not right. It didn't merge; did clear my browser screen.

Is this my mistake, and if so, what? Is it a bug in Groups.io?

- Mark

Duane

On Mon, Jun 15, 2020 at 02:57 PM, Mark Irving wrote:
Is this my mistake, and if so, what?
It seems to work for me.  Are you selecting the topic to be merged into from the Topics page?  Sounds like it, but I wanted to check.  Could you have accidentally clicked on the wrong topic to merge into?  Could also be a temporary glitch that you timed just wrong. ;>)

Duane
--
The official Groups.io user documentation is in the Groups.io Help Center.
GMF's Unofficial Help Wiki: https://groups.io/g/GroupManagersForum/wiki

Bruce Bowman

On Mon, Jun 15, 2020 at 03:57 PM, Mark Irving wrote:

I've done this before. Select Topics view; top topic, one message in it, moderator's submenu to Start merge. Next topic, several messages in it, select moderator's submenu to merge into. Get surprising popup:

Mark -- That's definitely peculiar. I've been unable to replicate this behavior. What device/browser you are using?

You might wait awhile and try again. It could be that a merge cannot be done until the message is indexed by the search engine. Failing that, you can try the topics-test approach to merging that Shal mentioned recently and see if that works better for you.

No definitive answer here by a long shot, just some ideas. Please report back on what you find out.

Regards,
Bruce

Check out the new groups.io Help Center and groups.io Owners Manual

Mark Irving

Device+browser: Firefox, Windows 10, current versions and updates for both, desktop computer with 1920x1080 display.

I've waited a while, cleared my browser cache, and tried again. I'm still seeing the name Action instead of the name of the second thread in my Topics list. I have been selecting the first and second threads (top and next-to-top). That most recent message is now over five hours old, so there should have been time to pat it gently into place in the index.

I haven't tried the topics-test equivalent of the regular Merge commands.

- Mark

Mark Irving

Awkward thought: is it something to do with the word table in the title of the topic I'm trying to merge into?

- Mark

Bruce Bowman

Still very odd. I inserted the word "table" somewhere in the destination topic -- no dice. I also tried it with the errant comma.

Let see what happens with an identical subject line...hmmm, got the same problem you did (see attached screenshot)!

So there's something about that subject line, but I'm not sure what. You should probably bring this to Mark's attention by posting it in the beta group (https://groups.io/g/beta). Sweeping such things under the rug only means that it will someday crop up again.

Good luck,
Bruce

----- Original Message -----
To: Bruce Bowman <bruce.bowman@...>
Sent: Tue, 16 Jun 2020 05:16:47 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: Re: Private: Re: [GMF] Merge misbehaving

Bruce,

Thanks for the suggestions and for putting your time into support issues.

I have tried to cancel the merge and start over. Symptom remains. (I clicked Cancel at the incorrect confirmation message for all of the tests described in this email.)

I have (this morning) tried the same operation on the small screen of my Android mobile phone. Symptom remains.

I have tried a merge from a different topic in the same group, merge-into the same problem topic. I get the same symptom: the target is referred to as "Action" rather than its actual title.

Did your test use the identical topic title, "Challenge treadle sewing machine , can't open top of table" as the destination of the merged message(s)? If this is what I suspect it may be, a bit of the title being interpreted as a database instruction, it may depend on apparently trivial features such as the exact length of the topic title, or the apostrophe in the middle of it.

I'll create a test group and try experimenting there, if I feel motivated enough. For my live group (vintagesewingmachinerepair) I can do without this merge, and don't want to waste the attention of its 2000 or so members getting unwanted extra messages if I mess it up.

- Mark

On Mon, 15 Jun 2020 14:32:39 -0700
"Bruce Bowman" <bruce.bowman@...> wrote:

> Well, I tried that too, and that didn't seem to affect it. Have you tried to cancel the merge and start over? (Select cancel merge from the down-arrow menu.)
>
> Other than that, I got nothin.'  :-)
>
> Bruce
> Check out the new groups.io Help Center ( https://groups.io/helpcenter ) and groups.io Owners Manual ( https://groups.io/hc/ownersmanual/Groups.io_Owners_Manual.pdf )

--

Check out the new groups.io Help Center and groups.io Owners Manual

Andy Wedge

On Tue, Jun 16, 2020 at 12:47 PM, Bruce Bowman wrote:
bring this to Mark's attention by posting it in the beta group
This has apparently been resolved now https://beta.groups.io/g/main/topic/74915946

Andy