Membership count issues

Henry Dorfman <moonpaddle@...>

I transferred our group from Yahoo a few years ago. The membership count was about 2,300 as it had been for years and continued to be with io up until recently. It suddenly shows about 1,600. I messaged io help and have not received a response. Anyone have an idea what happned to suddenly drop our count by about a third?

Bruce Bowman

On Sun, Feb 28, 2021 at 04:05 PM, Henry Dorfman wrote:
I transferred our group from Yahoo a few years ago. The membership count was about 2,300 as it had been for years and continued to be with io up until recently. It suddenly shows about 1,600. I messaged io help and have not received a response. Anyone have an idea what happned to suddenly drop our count by about a third?
Henry -- Did you ever purge the members whose email addresses are bouncing? I suspect you have ~700 of them. 

https://groups.io/helpcenter/ownersmanual/1/managing-members/checking-for-bouncing-members 

A change was recently made so the member count that appears on the group home page omits those who are Bouncing or Not Confirmed.

Regards,
Bruce

Check out the groups.io Help Center and groups.io Owners Manual

Henry Dorfman <moonpaddle@...>

Thanks. No, but I recall messages from Yahoo when they automatically dropped them. That could be it but I would've expected io to drop them immediately, not years later.

Duane

On Sun, Feb 28, 2021 at 04:01 PM, Henry Dorfman wrote:
That could be it but I would've expected io to drop them immediately, not years later.
As Bruce noted, this change of the number on the Home page display was recent, they'll still be in your member records.  They may have been bouncing/bounced/NC for years if you don't keep track of that sort of thing.

Duane
--
Lots of detailed information can be found in the Owners Manual and Members Manual.