Members are disappearing w/o notice!

Hi Group,

It's been a year or so since I transferred my group from Yahoo.
I don't know what happened, but since I transferred the group from Yahoo.
I had about 622 members successfully added, and now I only have 468.
I used to have over 900 members when we were on Yahoo!
That's 154 members who vanished since we did the transfer.
I would get a notification when someone left the group, but I surely haven't been notified about all the 154 members leaving.
Why is Groups.io removing my members without notice?
Is it because they are bouncing, and if so why would they be removed?
Can someone shed some light on this issue?

Sincerely,
Very Disappointed
Forum Founder

Bruce Bowman

On Mon, Mar 8, 2021 at 09:00 AM, Edward Borg wrote:
I used to have over 900 members when we were on Yahoo!
I've never fully understood why the number of non-participating members was a source of group-owner vanity.

Why is Groups.io removing my members without notice?
The number of members appearing on your group home page no longer includes those in "Bouncing" or "Not Confirmed" status.

Lurkers, however, still count.

Is it because they are bouncing, and if so why would they be removed?
They haven't gone anywhere.

In your Member List, pull down the blue Members menu at top-left and select Bouncing. You should most of the "missing" members there.

Can someone shed some light on this issue?
Groups.io recently changed its pricing structure based on the number of members in the group ( https://beta.groups.io/g/main/topic/pricing_changes/79024735 ).

Since those in Bouncing and NC status cannot actually participate, it doesn't make sense to list them on the home page...or to charge for them.

On Mon, Mar 8, 2021 at 09:20 AM, Bruce Bowman wrote:
I've never fully understood why the number of non-participating members was a source of group-owner vanity.
Member count and activity attracts sponsors willing to pay to advertise on your group to reach your members.
It's the same with YouTube, Instagram, Facebook, etc. regarding attracting potential clients and others willing to join/pay!

This policy is negatively affecting me from doing just that!
I had over 900 members join my group.
I don't care if they are bouncing or no longer actively monitoring.
I just care that they joined my group for what ever reason.

Does the other platforms I mention do what this place does with the member count?

I wouldn't mind if my group was FREE, but I have to pay to keep the group on this forum.

PS: So you no longer have to not fully understand why there is group-owner vanity!

Duane

On Mon, Mar 8, 2021 at 04:07 PM, Edward Borg wrote:
Member count and activity attracts sponsors willing to pay to advertise on your group to reach your members.
I'll bet the sponsors wouldn't be too happy to know that they're paying for people that can't get/see their support.  Yahoo Groups perpetuated this misinformation for years and look where they are now.  Bouncing, NC, and banned members have no access to the information on a group.  The number on the home page is the most accurate for you and the sponsors.  BTW, I don't allow any advertising on my groups, only good and useful information.

Lots of detailed information can be found in the Owners Manual and Members Manual.

Chris Jones

On Mon, Mar 8, 2021 at 10:07 PM, Edward Borg wrote:
Member count and activity attracts sponsors willing to pay to advertise on your group to reach your members.
Those listed as Bouncing or NC do not receive group emails and cannot post either. In a way they are not members at all, just a collection of loose ends. In many cases they may have died or changed their email addresses without updating their Groups.io accounts.

Claiming them as members for the purpose of attracting sponsors (etc) is arguably fraudulent.

Chris

I'm not 100% sure about bouncing or NC.
All I know they signed up to be a member and maybe they just monitor the group via the website or some message board app.
It's not fraudulent when that is the amount of members who joined my group.

You mention yahoo, but what about Facebook, Instagram, YouTube, etc.?

Duane

On Mon, Mar 8, 2021 at 05:44 PM, Edward Borg wrote:
It's not fraudulent when that is the amount of members who joined my group.
Obviously we're not going to change your mind, but any bouncing, banned, or NC members are NOT seeing your group in any manner, so you're charging the sponsors for nonexistent members.  I don't know about any of the other services you mentioned because I won't use them.  It really doesn't matter how they run their site, we've told you how this site works.  If you can't accept it this way, you can always go to another site or set up your own that will work the way you want.

Lots of detailed information can be found in the Owners Manual and Members Manual.

So what about members who join the group and select no mail.
Are those put on the non member list as well?
Do you ping them as well to see if they exist?

I know i can whatever I want, no need to remind of that!
It would of been nice to know about this before I transferred my group, and paid for the full year!

Why am I being attacked just for being disappointed and asking questions?
First I'm being grouped with the "group-owner vanity" thing from one of the moderators!
Then I get a comment about "I don't charge a penny for my group".
To your being fraudulent with your group.

Bruce Bowman

On Mon, Mar 8, 2021 at 08:10 PM, Edward Borg wrote:
So what about members who join the group and select no mail.
Are those put on the non member list as well?
No.

Do you ping them as well to see if they exist?
If by "you" you mean groups.io, not that I'm aware of.

I know i can whatever I want, no need to remind of that!
It would of been nice to know about this before I transferred my group, and paid for the full year!
As was previously explained, this was a recent change in support of the new pricing structure. It wasn't this way when you transferred your group.

Cal

Not sure about You Tube but Face Book and Instagram is basically a social media site and you have to deal with the ad's they think are relevant to what you are talking or posting about, and think it's the same with Instagram also they show you people that they think you would like to have as friends or deal with the same problems or issues you have or your group has ? As I am on Face book but it's basically to share posts with friend and family on it and some of them can be funny or down right nasty depending on what you like or don't like to see and although they have groups set up on face book it's almost like years ago on Yahoo chat where you post something and hope someone see's it and replies back to you on it, plus Face Book has the right to remove posts it deems unfit to be seen by those you are sharing it with.

Chris Jones

On Mon, Mar 8, 2021 at 11:44 PM, Edward Borg wrote:
It's not fraudulent when that is the amount of members who joined my group.
If they were still members who were receiving emails from your group I would agree, but if they are Bouncing then they aren't.

I think it would be worth your spending a little time having a look at your list of Bouncing Members to check how many there are and how long they have been bouncing. Perhaps you could try a few Bounce Probes to see if you can get any of them to reactivate themselves.

The fact that they joined your group at some point is actually neither here nor there; such evidence as exists points towards their having no continuing interest in your group whatever the reason for that might be. On that basis quoting their existence in order to obtain sponsorship or advertising is at best dodgy.

Chris

KATHLEEN DESMAISONS

For whatever it is worth, this exchange has been one of the more interesting and fruitful discussions I have heard in 20 years of doing elists. I genuinely appreciate that there has been thought about the pay per person issue. That is a very thoughtful thinking through the implications of a decision. Thank you.

And I will just insert that since the switch from yahoo here, I have been freed up to do SERVICE to the purpose of the groups rather than constant trying to solve logistical problems, put out fires based on bad coding, yada yada.  I think io has done an incredible job of making the power of elists accessible and workable. I am also deeply appreciative of those of you who have so diligently given of your time and skills to make it work as well as it does.

Kathleen

Okay I guess I'm more disappointed with finding out that I lost almost half my group members ever since we transferred the group.
I guess I wrongly compared this platform to the social media ones, which most likely have a bunch of dead followers and friends on their counts.
I have tried to send probes to un-bounce them but it doesn't seem to do anything.
Like all of you are saying they are no longer following the group for whatever reason and shouldn't be listed since it may be deceiving.
Excuse me for getting upset and snapping at some of you for your replies.