Topics

Login Problem Mobile

Larry McDavid

My desktop computer remains logged into groups.io and I can access the website as owner for all my groups but my cell phone email access to Group links requests a password but does not accept my known password. Can I not be logged in to groups.io concurrently from my desktop and cell phone? Or, what might this problem be?

--
Best wishes,

Larry McDavid W6FUB

On Tue, Jul 7, 2020 at 01:51 PM, Larry McDavid wrote:
Can I not be logged in to groups.io concurrently from my desktop and cell phone? Or, what might this problem be?
You can be logged in on as many devices as you want.  BUT, the device has to accept cookies to stay logged in.  I'm not sure you can even log in without accepting a cookie, so that may be your problem.

Andy Wedge

On Tue, Jul 7, 2020 at 07:51 PM, Larry McDavid wrote:
my cell phone email access to Group links requests a password but does not accept my known password.
You don't mention any kind of error message but it sounds like you have mistyped your password on your mobile.  As Duane said, you can be logged in on multiple devices at the same time so, on you mobile, I would suggest requesting a link to login and then using that link to login. If that works, it sort of confirms a mistyped password previously.  If not, then you could report the results back here (with details of any error message you get) to see if we can offer further guidance.

Andy

Larry McDavid

I really don't know if my cell phone stores cookies; I'm using an Android Galaxy S10 phone. The problem is *not* mistyped password. I get no groups.io error message, just restatement of the login page asking for username and password again. I requested a link to login and that link brought me back to the login page. I surely thought I had Group links working from my cell phone at one time but not now; everything works as expected from my desktop.

I can read my email on my cell phone and see groups.io messages as an email. But, now when I click on an email link for an uploaded photo, for example, groups.io wants me to login and I can't do that successfully from my cell phone.

Anyone else experience this problem?

Larry

On Tue, Jul 7, 2020 at 08:02 PM, Larry McDavid wrote:
The problem is *not* mistyped password. I get no groups.io error message, just restatement of the login page asking for username and password again. I requested a link to login and that link brought me back to the login page. I surely thought I had Group links working from my cell phone at one time but not now; everything works as expected from my desktop.
This is a strong indication that you have browser cookies disabled. Here's some information that might help: https://www.businessinsider.com/how-to-enable-cookies-on-samsung-galaxy-s10

Larry,

Anyone else experience this problem?
Quite the opposite, my android phone (Pixel) stays logged in indefinitely.

Bruce may have found the key for you, I concur with the inference that the browser isn't storing the login cookie.

It may also depend on what email reader you're using and what it does when you click a link in a message. There may be settings for that. I'm using the Gmail app and it has an embedded web browser which it uses for links clicked from email. That embedded browser is closely related to the Chrome browser for Android, which is also installed on my phone.

Help: https://groups.io/helpcenter

Larry McDavid

This link below about cookies is specific to Chrome and Samsung Internet Browsers. I am using Firefox as my desktop and mobile browser. Checking the Settings for the mobile Firefox, I find that cookies are enabled, except for tracking cookies. I think that should be sufficient.

Tested again, the problem I described persists. No error message is generated but the empty login screen returns when login fails.

I see no Samsung Galaxy Android setting for cookies. However, AT&T Samsung did recently upgrade my software version, now shown as Android Version 10. I believe the email link to groups.io Group websites has worked in the past on this phone; I can't be sure the current problem coincided with the Android software update, but something has changed.

I agree the cookies explanation is logical but I can't confirm it as my mobile Firefox has cookies enabled.

Further ideas?

Larry

On 7/7/2020 5:57 PM, Bruce Bowman wrote:
On Tue, Jul 7, 2020 at 08:02 PM, Larry McDavid wrote:
The problem is *not* mistyped password. I get no groups.io error
message, just restatement of the login page asking for username and
password again. I requested a link to login and that link brought me
back to the login page. I surely thought I had Group links working
from my cell phone at one time but not now; everything works as
expected from my desktop.
This is a strong indication that you have browser cookies disabled. Here's some information that might help: https://www.businessinsider.com/how-to-enable-cookies-on-samsung-galaxy-s10
Best wishes,

Larry McDavid W6FUB

Larry,

I agree the cookies explanation is logical but I can't confirm it as
my mobile Firefox has cookies enabled.
Could a setting in the OS be restricting Firefox's ability to use storage (the cookie files)? Are you able to use other sites that require login? Is Firefox able to remember your browsing history?

Also, does your email app actually launch Firefox in response to a link? The Gmail app has a setting for whether to use its built-in browser. That might be a setting in your app and/or the OS. If you haven't, try starting Firefox manually and logging in then.

Help: https://groups.io/helpcenter