Topics

Groups set for "Daily Summary" have not been received after 5/20/2020 #bug

Jim Wilson

The groups I own are set for Individual Messages. I seem to be receiving all Individual messages without any exceptions. I know because I checked what I received against the groups.

However, I have not received any Daily Summaries for any group (such as GMF or beta) set as "Daily Summary" since my last receipt on 5/20/2020 at about 6 AM CT.

As a company owner with 30 years of network administration, I subscribe to Microsoft Office 365 Enterprise Exchange services for maximum cloud flexibility.

I did a Message Trace directly on my Exchange mail server (which checks the database and logs thereof) but no messages from Daily Summary groups have been rejected, which means the messages were not transmitted to our mail server or even attempted.

Has anyone else noticed this with groups that have "Daily Summary" set? I was thinking I should try Individual messages on those groups for a day and then change it back on Sunday to see what happens.

Jim Wilson

Jim,

Has anyone else noticed this with groups that have "Daily Summary" set?

I've been receiving them daily for GMF, no problems. That said, you're not alone: see also the recent topic Switching to summary from digest.

I was thinking I should try Individual messages on those groups for a day and then change it back on Sunday to see what happens.

That's probably a reasonable experiment. Maybe there's a bug in the controls to set the Email Delivery, rather than in the delivery mechanism itself.

I did a Message Trace directly on my Exchange mail server (which checks the database and logs thereof) but no messages from Daily Summary groups have been rejected, which means the messages were not transmitted to our mail server or even attempted.

Have you looked at the Email Delivery History tab of your Subscription page in those groups? There may be further information there: Groups.io's log of what occurred in one or more of the three panels (recent successful, unsuccessful, or bounce). If the most recent day's summary is listed in any one of them that would stand in contradiction to your Message Trace result.

Unless of course your Message Trace excludes the case of a successful delivery to your Spam folder. That's always another thing to check. You probably did but since you didn't mention it I figured I would.

Help: https://groups.io/helpcenter

Sigo Paolini

Is this related to the problem some on my list are having of getting double messages?

Thanks Sigo

Sigo,

Is this related to the problem some on my list are having of getting
double messages?
Not likely. Perhaps you could start a new topic to explain what your
members are experiencing.

My first thought is to ask the affected members to check the very bottom of the footer on two such messages - next to the Unsubscribe link is the email address to which that message was sent.

If those are different then the mystery is solved, and all that remains is for them to unsubscribe the excess membership, or change its Email Delivery setting to No Email (or Digest, or Summary, or Special Notices).

If those are the same, then some digging into the message header of such a pair might help resolve how this is happening.

Help: https://groups.io/helpcenter

Sigo Paolini

I will let her know and after that post a new thread with the findings.  Thanks

[ad removed by moderator]

> Is this related to the problem some on my list are having of getting

> double messages?

Not likely. Perhaps you could start a new topic to explain what your

members are experiencing.

My first thought is to ask the affected members to check the very bottom

of the footer on two such messages - next to the Unsubscribe link is the

email address to which that message was sent.

If those are different then the mystery is solved, and all that remains

is for them to unsubscribe the excess membership, or change its Email

Delivery setting to No Email (or Digest, or Summary, or Special Notices).

If those are the same, then some digging into the message header of such

a pair might help resolve how this is happening.

Help: https://groups.io/helpcenter

Jim Wilson

Shal, I didn't think to look at the Email History before I changed all of them to Individual Messages in Subscriptions which, incidentally, have been received without any issue.

Since all the groups had activity, the History now shows the last Individual message for each so I have just changed them back to Daily Summary. I will have to wait until the next Daily delivery cycle in the morning.

FYI, the Message Trace utility on O365 includes all spam and emails rejected due to SPF, DKIM and/or DMARC failiures so it is somewhat like searching the raw connection logs of a email server.

Also, I didn't see Switching to summary from digest until I posted my query but it speaks about this very issue. It is very odd that some people seem to be unaffected.

Cori Lynn Arnold

On Sat, May 30, 2020 at 12:01 AM, Jim Wilson wrote:
r, I have not received any Daily Summaries for any group (such as GMF or beta) set as "Daily Summary" since my last receipt on 5/20/2020 at about 6 AM CT.
Yes! I have a user in my group having this exact problem, with this exact date of 5/20/2020!

When I look at the logs that is the last message sent to her, with no errors or bounced messages.
-cori lynn

Cori,

When I look at the logs that is the last message sent to her, with no
errors or bounced messages.
Check that the member's Message Selection option (in the Advanced Preferences panel) is set to "All Messages".

If it is, then this sounds like sufficient evidence to report it to beta as a #bug report. Specifically that the last successful delivery was 5/20.
https://beta.groups.io/g/main/guidelines

The other slim possibility is that the member has muted every topic that has been posted since that date, but that seems unlikely and I don't believe that you could check it anyway.

Help: https://groups.io/helpcenter

Cori Lynn Arnold

She is set to "All Messages" and I made sure she hasn't muted every topic (and not every message is required to have a topic, many don't).

I'll do a bug report.
-cori lynn

Duane

On Mon, Jun 1, 2020 at 06:55 AM, Cori Lynn Arnold wrote:
I'll do a bug report.
I posted about this on the beta group and Mark has sent a reply, "Please send me the email addresses of the people not receiving the summaries (and their groups) off-list and I'll investigate.", https://beta.groups.io/g/main/message/25163  You can either reply privately to that message so he'll get the information or I'd be glad to accept private messages from several people and aggregate it for him.  Probably better for each person to send their own information though.