Topics

Files upload option still there after turning it off #bug


Chuck Palmer
 

I have the Files feature set so that members can View but only moderators can upload.  However, if I login as a "regular" member, the +New dropdown button is still there and lets me walk thru the steps of either creating a new folder or uploading a new file.  After browsing for the new file and selecting it, it doesn't upload anything and just returns me to the main welcome screen of our group -- leaving me, as a regular member, very confused.

Shouldn't this +New button not even be there as an option?


 

Just a clarifying question.

How do you login as a member if you are the owner or a moderator.

As I understand it, groups.io knows you by your Email ID only and knows that you are the owner or a moderator.


Rubens
 

...
MB| How do you login as a member if
| you are the owner or a moderator.


You use another account you create,
with another email address.

I have always used this, since the
time of Yahoogroups.


[ ] Rubens








.


Christos G. Psarras
 

Chuck,

Yes, it seems it is a display bug, just tried it and it does the same.  The reason one is taken back to home must be because the underlying code is doign its permissions job and preventing from file uploading but doesn't have code behind it to alert the user or whatnot so I guess when lost, "just go home", LOL!

You are correct, the New button should be disabled/greyed out or non-visible and it will take care of the issue, easy fix.  You might as well create a bug report in beta.

Cheers,
Christos


On Sun, Aug 30, 2020 at 10:18 PM, Chuck Palmer wrote:
I have the Files feature set so that members can View but only moderators can upload.  However, if I login as a "regular" member, the +New dropdown button is still there and lets me walk thru the steps of either creating a new folder or uploading a new file.  After browsing for the new file and selecting it, it doesn't upload anything and just returns me to the main welcome screen of our group -- leaving me, as a regular member, very confused.

Shouldn't this +New button not even be there as an option?


 

Thanks, I appreciate knowing how this can be done.  At times I wished that I can see how the member's screen will look like but did not know how to accomplish it.  Now I know.

Mahendra Bakshi.


Christos G. Psarras
 

On Mon, Aug 31, 2020 at 08:15 PM, Mahendra Bakshi wrote:
Thanks, I appreciate knowing how this can be done.  At times I wished that I can see how the member's screen will look like but did not know how to accomplish it.  Now I know.
 
And to add to what's already said, to make it convenient and avoid having to log off and back on when testing, use a different web browser to log in with the regular/member test account, so this way your use your normal browser with your normal admin account and saves you the constant log-off and log-on.

Cheers,
Christos


Andy Wedge
 

On Tue, Sep 1, 2020 at 01:36 AM, Christos G. Psarras wrote:
to make it convenient and avoid having to log off and back on when testing, use a different web browser
I use Firefox with the Multi-Account Containers add-in which keeps cookies and session details isolated between tabs.




No need for multiple browsers and different windows. I use a different coloured tab for each login (Owner/Mod/Member). Simple and effective.

Andy


Christos G. Psarras
 

I wasn't aware of that add-on, thanks for sharing that Andy, good to know!

Cheers,
Christos


On 2020-09-01 02:32, Andy Wedge via groups.io wrote:
On Tue, Sep 1, 2020 at 01:36 AM, Christos G. Psarras wrote:
to make it convenient and avoid having to log off and back on when testing, use a different web browser
I use Firefox with the Multi-Account Containers add-in which keeps cookies and session details isolated between tabs.

No need for multiple browsers and different windows. I use a different coloured tab for each login (Owner/Mod/Member). Simple and effective.

Andy
_._,_._,_