Topics

Emails not arriving #email

MicheleR

I'm the moderator of a group.  For some reason, as of this morning, I am no longer receiving any emails from the group.

  • I can successfully post to the group via email and via the groups.io web interface.
  • All the other members are receiving posts just fine.
  • I was receiving messages from this group just fine until today, so all my subscription settings were/are correct (I did double check them just in case)
  • The Activity Log shows no bounced emails and nothing under "Most Recent Unsuccessful Attempt"
  • However, the activity Log also doesn't show any of today's messages under "Most Recent Successful Delivery."
  • I am successfully receiving messages from other groups.io groups I belong to.
  • I do have both the group's email address and the groups.io domain in my "Safe senders" list so I know I'm not blocking them on my end.

Any ideas how to troubleshoot this?  At this point I'm really not sure if groups.io is not sending me the messages, or if they're getting trapped somehow by my ISP before they reach my inbox, or what.

Thanks -

Michele

Joseph Hudson

Hello, I've been having the same issue as you have been having all day. Occasionally I'll get an email and then they'll fade away for a while and then they'll be back. I just got done cleaning out a slew of messages just a few moments ago. That I had sent out hours ago. And the people had sent hours ago. I think Spectrum had one of their holdups once again. But I guess we'll just have to wait and see what happens tomorrow.

On Jul 1, 2020, at 4:23 PM, MicheleR <mrothen2@...> wrote:

[...]

Andy Wedge

On Wed, Jul 1, 2020 at 10:28 PM, MicheleR wrote:
Any ideas how to troubleshoot this?  At this point I'm really not sure if groups.io is not sending me the messages, or if they're getting trapped somehow by my ISP before they reach my inbox, or what.
Hi Michele,

if you paste the headers from a delayed message into this utility https://toolbox.googleapps.com/apps/messageheader/. it should give you an idea where things got held up.

Regards,
Andy

Jim Wilson

Andy, I tried the Google link but, for some reason, it didn't include the the originating mail server nor the timing thereof even though I pasted the entire header from Message Options in Outlook. I found another one at https://mxtoolbox.com/EmailHeaders.aspx which worked very well and seems to be much more informative. I urge you to check it out.

MicheleR, who is your ISP?
--
Jim

MicheleR

Andy, that's very cool to know, thanks!  I just did it and it says it sat somewhere for 13 hours (!!), but I'm not sure how to interpret the information:

# Delay From *     To * Protocol Time received
0 1 sec [192.168.1.11]   cmsmtp   7/1/2020, 10:38:25 AM EDT
1   p-impout001.msg.pkvw.co.charter.net   mx.groups.io SMTP 7/1/2020, 10:38:25 AM EDT
2 13 hours     127.0.0.2 SMTP 7/2/2020, 12:05:10 AM EDT
3 5 sec web01.groups.io   cmsmtp   7/2/2020, 12:05:15 AM EDT
4 1 sec p-impin001.msg.pkvw.co.charter.net   p-mtain018.msg.pkvw.co.charter.net   7/2/2020, 12:05:16 AM EDT

MicheleR

Ah, Spectrum.  *sigh*  Perhaps that was it -- I got up this morning and here were dozens of messages from the past 24 hours.  Is there somewhere to report this kind of thing, or do we just wait until they get their act together?

Bruce Bowman

On Thu, Jul 2, 2020 at 09:55 AM, MicheleR wrote:
Ah, Spectrum.  *sigh*  Perhaps that was it -- I got up this morning and here were dozens of messages from the past 24 hours.
Roadrunner/Spectrum/Charter is notorious for throttling email traffic. Here are just the most recent three topics on this:

https://groups.io/g/GroupManagersForum/topic/68667051
https://groups.io/g/GroupManagersForum/topic/32336474
https://groups.io/g/GroupManagersForum/topic/27393199

Is there somewhere to report this kind of thing, or do we just wait until they get their act together?
You can contact Spectrum and complain, but that's been done before and doesn't seem to have any long-term effect.

If you're actually paying for service and they're not meeting expectations, vote with your dollars.

Check out the new groups.io Help Center and groups.io Owners Manual

MicheleR

Thanks, Bruce - I wasn't aware of this as an ongoing issue.  Unfortunately where I live Spectrum is our only choice for ISP.  Yay for telecoms monopolies :P

Michele,

1 p-impout001.msg.pkvw.co.charter.net -> mx.groups.io
2 13 hours (unnamed) -> 127.0.0.2
3 5 sec web01.groups.io -> cmsmtp
That seems to implicate a delay within Groups.io.

Hop 1 is the receipt by Groups.io, Hop 3 is the return from Groups.io.

But on Hop 2 I can't distinguish whether that's some system delay, or just loitering in the group's Pending message queue awaiting approval. If that message should have been accepted without moderation then I'd say Groups.io has/had a processing delay.

Help: https://groups.io/helpcenter

Joseph Hudson

Well we'll probably just have to wait till they get their act together because it looks like it's happening again. The only thing I can recommend is changing your subscription to a different email address outside of Spectrum which I have done before. I only do it that whenever I start bouncing and don't receive anything for a few days.

On Jul 2, 2020, at 8:53 AM, MicheleR <mrothen2@...> wrote:

Ah, Spectrum. *sigh* Perhaps that was it -- I got up this morning and here were dozens of messages from the past 24 hours. Is there somewhere to report this kind of thing, or do we just wait until they get their act together?

chaboot

i also am not getting any mail,, its saying i was bouncing in all my groups,,,, really ,,,,,,, i got at&t and my mailbox holds over 10,000 email so theres no way
that i could be bouncing,, i had to hit each group and clikc that i was not boucning any more,,, so what is the problem
haven't rec'd any mail from any IO group today
chaboot

chaboot,

i also am not getting any mail,, its saying i was bouncing in all my
groups,,,, really ,,,,,,,
You're not bouncing in GMF, but that's because you're on No Email here. So I'm CC'ing you directly on this message, just in case you don't check our Messages pages. Unfortunately that means I can't find out from your Email Delivery History why you had been on bouncing status.

So, go to your Account > Recent Bounces page, and read the Reason column to find out why AT&T was rejecting messages from Groups.io.

i got at&t and my mailbox holds over 10,000 email so theres no way
that i could be bouncing,,
A full inbox isn't the only reason an email service might reject incoming messages. In fact these days it seems to be about the least common reason.

i had to hit each group and clikc that i was not boucning any more,,,
Unbouncing in one group should unbounce you in all groups. It is a status that's tied to your email address, not to any particular group subscriptions you have.

Help: https://groups.io/helpcenter