Topics

Emailed Message Delivery Issue

KL

Update from #33679

Support responsive and working the problem, however, want to see if anybody else seeing the missing email problem. Once the message approved it will always display on the GIO web portal however only sometimes get emailed out to members. Members started reporting problems approx one week ago however I saw it for the first time SEP 16.

Here is today's example. The bold it the missing/problem message

0229hrs Member submitted message for approval and I received “Message Approval Needed  email”

0650hrs I approved the message. Message emailed out to all members and displayed on GIO portal as designed (Mess#16337)

0705hrs Another member responded to 0650hrs message and Moderators received “Message Approval Needed email”

0723hrs Another moderator approved the 0705hrs message and it emailed out to all members and displayed on GIO portal as designed. (Mess#16338)

0931hrs Another member responded to both the 0650hrs message and the 0723hrs message. Moderators received “Message Approval Needed email”

0932hrs I approved this message. This message only displayed on the GIO portal. NO email to me or members (Mess#16339) As of now 1349hrs PT, it has still not emailed out to members.

Checking the Subscription Email Delivery History it shows no reference to the 0932hrs message. Only the 0723hrs message.

Message

[xxxxxxx] Oxxxxx

Delivered

07:24

Response

Mail accepted (154yisoyL3824M10)

On Sun, Sep 20, 2020 at 12:46 AM, KL wrote:

Checking the Subscription Email Delivery History
Yours (usa.net)? Did you check history of a gmail.com member?

KL

Hi Lena

So far, the same results for Yahoo/USA.net/gmail

KL

Update - The problem is at least consistent. When it works, it works for all. When it does not work it only updates on the GIO portal and no email is delivered to "any" members

Below worked fine

0539hrs Member submitted a message for approval and I received “Message Approval Needed  email”
0619hrs Another moderator approved the message
0620hrs Message emailed out to all members and displayed on GIO portal as designed
Email delivery history updated as designed.

Bruce Bowman

On Sun, Sep 20, 2020 at 12:03 PM, KL wrote:
Update - The problem is at least consistent. When it works, it works for all. When it does not work it only updates on the GIO portal and no email is delivered to "any" members
Did someone apply a hashtag with the "no email" flag set?

KL

Hi Bruce,

Checked and I only had 4-5 hashtags. All very old with the most recent May 2020. Nothing stands out related to the email question. Deleted all. Is there a way to toggle "no hashtags" since we don't use them?

Regardless thanks for the suggestion as I had not checked that.

Also regarding support. I provided support some examples with the exact details with each message ID, times etc of missing emails. This was late Friday night so likely not going to hear back till Monday/Tue. Hoping that will help take the guesswork out and narrow things down for something to look at in the GIO system.

KL,

Checked and I only had 4-5 hashtags. All very old with the most recent
May 2020.
The question is whether the messages which you didn't receive in email had a hashtag in their subject line.

Nothing stands out related to the email question. Deleted all.
Then you deleted the potential evidence. What you would have looked for is the |_| No Email checkbox in any of the hashtags that appear in such messages.

Is there a way to toggle "no hashtags" since we don't use them?
There is nothing that simple.

In the Message Policies panel of your group's Settings page you can set Hashtag Permissions to "Messages from members can only be tagged with existing hashtags, new hashtags will be removed". That will prevent members from accidentally or deliberately creating hashtags. Then it will only be group mods/owners that can create new hashtags.

Except for system created hashtags.
https://groups.io/helpcenter/ownersmanual/1/managing-hashtags/system-hashtags

See also:
https://groups.io/helpcenter/faq/1/group-member-faq/q-i-am-not-receiving-email-messages

Help: https://groups.io/helpcenter

KL

Update: Another missing message today SEP 21, 2020 / No hashtags in use

This was a reply to an existing message. The reply was by a moderator so he was able to approve is own message.

0658hrs Member/moderator replied to an existing message
0659hrs  Member/moderator approved his message
0659hrs message displays on GIO website only / As of this time 0735hrs no email to any members.

Email History does not show the message. It shows a successfully delivered message from yesterday.

Will pass this and the message ID on to support

Duane

On Mon, Sep 21, 2020 at 10:22 AM, KL wrote:
0659hrs message displays on GIO website only / As of this time 0735hrs no email to any members.
One other remote possibility I can think of - Is the topic locked?  There was (is?) a bug where replies that are moderated ignore the lock, so get posted, but aren't emailed.  I haven't checked this in several months, so consider it wild guess.

On Mon, Sep 21, 2020 at 10:22 AM, KL wrote:
Update: Another missing message today SEP 21, 2020
I don't know if it's related, but Mark just posted about an email delivery delay, https://beta.groups.io/g/main/message/26297

KL

Just saw Marks post on beta. I would think it's related.

Duane, No locked message issue. It's happening on new topics and old topics. Just got another one.. see below.

0757hrs Another moderator posts (new topic) message. Note this moderator rarely posts or approves messages.
0757hrs Same moderator approves his own message.
0757hrs Message displayed on GIO portal. As on now 1108hrs no message has gone out to my 2000+ members.
1108hrs As of now, the only thing showing in the Sub-email delivery history is an old message from yesterday, Sep 20.

KL

All

Mark just posted on beta:

Hi All,

We are caught up with email delivery.

Did all that had issues received the past/missing email? I did not. None have been delivered. Still missing approx 18-14 over the past few days. Want to check here before I hit support with a new ticket.

Thank you

Duane

On Mon, Sep 21, 2020 at 05:43 PM, KL wrote:
Still missing approx 18-14 over the past few days.
Mark didn't specify when the problem started, so yours may be something else that he's not aware of.

KL

They are aware as of last Friday. That is the last I heard from support.

My question is for the others that have popped up with missing email issues. I would like to know if their backlog fixed today for them since Groups.io is saying they are "caught up".