Topics

Direct add flipping first and last names #addmembers #displayname

Roland Roberts

I added several members and realized I had loaded their display names reverse. So, I removed them and readded with the names in the correct order as
First Last <email>
But...after doing that, I look in the member list and the display name has put them in as "Last First".

Does the membership directory have a memory and is not flushing out the old value even though that person (and their email) was deleted; the membership list was definitely empty before I started the second attempt.

Bruce Bowman

On Fri, Mar 20, 2020 at 01:45 PM, Roland Roberts wrote:
I added several members and realized I had loaded their display names reverse. So, I removed them and readded with the names in the correct order as
First Last <email>
But...after doing that, I look in the member list and the display name has put them in as "Last First".
Roland -- Did you delete all those subscriptions before you attempted to re-add them?

If not, you should have gotten an error message to the effect that they were already subscribed.

Does the membership directory have a memory and is not flushing out the old value even though that person (and their email) was deleted; the membership list was definitely empty before I started the second attempt.
If you're viewing a subscription record and find that the Display Name is wrong, just edit it and click the Save button. There is no need to re-add them.

Roland Roberts

On Fri, Mar 20, 2020 at 03:38 PM, Bruce Bowman wrote:
On Fri, Mar 20, 2020 at 01:45 PM, Roland Roberts wrote:
I added several members and realized I had loaded their display names reverse. So, I removed them and readded with the names in the correct order as
First Last <email>
But...after doing that, I look in the member list and the display name has put them in as "Last First".
Roland -- Did you delete all those subscriptions before you attempted to re-add them?
Yes, I did, as I mentioned, I first removed them all, No error message about them already being added.

If you're viewing a subscription record and find that the Display Name is wrong, just edit it and click the Save button. There is no need to re-add them.
Yeah, well, that's painfull with 100 members :-/ Besides them all getting invitations with their names backwards.

What's puzzling is that I remove them, and put them in correctly, but they still came out backwards. It really does seem like it still remembered them from the first time, sort of.

roland

Andy Wedge

On Fri, Mar 20, 2020 at 08:56 PM, Roland Roberts wrote:
What's puzzling is that I remove them, and put them in correctly, but they still came out backwards. It really does seem like it still remembered them from the first time, sort of.
Hi Roland,

when you remove a member they will appear in the Past Members list. Adding them back in with the same email address does indeed cause the display name to be picked up from the past member entry.  I can see a system use for this if someone leaves and then rejoins but if you Direct Add them I think it should use the display name you specify at the time. It has caught me out a couple of times and I've been meaning to raise the issue; I'll do so now on beta.

Andy

Roland,

But...after doing that, I look in the member list and the display name
has put them in as "Last First".
I suspect this may be happening because your first add of them preset the Display Name stored in their account profile.

Then on the subsequent add the system saw that their account already had a Display Name, so defaulted their group profile to that rather than to what you put in the Direct Add.

Does the membership directory have a memory and is not flushing out
the old value even though that person (and their email) was deleted;
I think it is neither the group's Directory nor its Members list (nor even Past Members, for premium groups).

Rather it is the account Groups.io created automatically for their email address when you did the first add of their address. You cannot delete or change their account information, so you won't be able to correct them except one by one through their group profile (which you can get to via their entry in the Members list).