Topics

Default Email

Dave Feist <dave.feist@...>

We are in the process of setting up our main group and sub groups. The main group is only going to be used for email distribution.  The sub groups will be for discussion. Our problem is when we add members to the group, an email is sent to each member. I understand the need for this email but the content of the email does not pertain to our group. No one will be able to reply to the group nor will they be able to post to the group. Our settings will prevent that. So all the info in that email will be misleading to our members.

After researching this subject, it appears that we cannot prevent the default email from being sent nor can we edit it. I know we can create a member notice but that does not solve the problem unless we say all the above information is incorrect. Is there a way to get around this problem or do you have any other suggestions?

Andy Wedge

On Mon, Jun 29, 2020 at 11:26 PM, Dave Feist wrote:
it appears that we cannot prevent the default email from being sent nor can we edit it.
You can customise the boilerplate message sent by Groups.io when you invite or Direct Add a member to your group but you cannot remove it altogether. In many jurisdictions it's a legal requirement to notify someone that they have been added to a service like Groups.io and it must have an unsubscribe option too.

Regards,
Andy

Dave Feist <dave.feist@...>

So how do I customize it? I just want to delete two lines.

Dave

Dave Feist <dave.feist@...>

I see what you mean by customizing but that just adds information. So basically we would have to add a disclaimer for portions of the boilerplate message by saying something like:

"Please disregard the 2nd and 3rd line of the above message."

Dave

Bruce Bowman

On Fri, Jul 3, 2020 at 06:38 PM, Dave Feist wrote:
I see what you mean by customizing but that just adds information. So basically we would have to add a disclaimer for portions of the boilerplate message by saying something like:

"Please disregard the 2nd and 3rd line of the above message."
That's correct...you can't delete any of it.

I can see why the Direct Add boilerplate might be problematic for Announcement groups. If you have a clear recommendation on how that should be remedied, consider posting it to the beta group as a #suggestion.

Check out the new groups.io Help Center and groups.io Owners Manual