Topics

Ask for that one Groups.io feature you really need/want...

Hi,

Mark recently posted in beta a survey question:

"What's the most important feature that you need for your group that we
don't currently have?"
https://beta.groups.io/g/main/message/25618

I might have said "the Notifications Overhaul", but that's in progress (Yay!). So what else has been bugging me? I'll have to think about that.

I think I might know what Patty would say:
https://groups.io/g/GroupManagersForum/message/32564

But maybe not. And I won't find out unless she says so, because the replies to Mark's survey are directed to him, not to the beta group.

Help: https://groups.io/helpcenter

Jack - GM4COX

Hi Shai,

In Calendar it would be handy to go back to a specific date by using a 'shortcode' like G - as in Goggle Calendar. At the moment you have to 'click' back by month till you arrive at the month the date you are interested in is located. Or maybe there is indeed already such a facility that I have missed?

Thanks

Jack(;>J
GM4COX

Jack,

In Calendar it would be handy ...
Or maybe there is indeed already such a facility that I have missed?

I'll let someone more familiar with the Calendar address that.

In the end though, if you want your desire to be heard by Groups.io you must reply to Mark's message in the beta group. He doesn't read GMF and we're not going to forward it to him on your behalf.

Help: https://groups.io/helpcenter

Andy Wedge

On Tue, Jun 30, 2020 at 09:23 AM, Jack - GM4COX wrote:
At the moment you have to 'click' back by month till you arrive at the month the date you are interested in is located. Or maybe there is indeed already such a facility that I have missed?

You can modify the calendar URL with a 'calstart' parameter and that will take you anywhere you want to go.

.../calendar?calstart=2021-07-19

Andy

Ken Kloeber

Whoaboy, difficult to call out just one.

more-useful msg splitting-off and merging (actions applied via check-boxes)?

an option to restrict msg posting to web-only (i.e., like simple forums machine.)  Msgs emailed to the forum would be bounced back w/ a notice/warning.

the feed displaying a snippet of the most-recent, not the first msg in the topic.

and/or the feed displaying who is the most-recent poster in that thread

an option to set how many msgs the feed displays or how far back in history

turning on the ever-popular filter to block misleading, incorrect, uninformed, and flat out b.s. content, whatever the topic.
.

-Ken

Ken Kloeber

*** correction!!

the topic list view (not feed) displaying the most-recent msg snippet, instead of the initial msg of the topic.

Rubens

KK| an option to restrict msg posting
| to web-only (i.e., like simple forums
| machine.) Msgs emailed to the forum
| would be bounced back w/ a notice/warning.

Why?... I don't understand...

What difference does it make
to your list the origin of
a message (whether send by
email, or send online)?

[ ] Rubens

.

Erikag59

I'm with Rubens here, puzzled why the OP would even ask for this.

If you don't want a mailing list, don't set up your group at a mailing list provider. Go to Tapatalk or some other forum provider, or run phpBB on your own website.

On Tue, Jun 30, 2020 at 11:47 AM Rubens <rubens.alves@...> wrote:
 KK| an option to restrict msg posting
   | to web-only (i.e., like simple forums
   | machine.)  Msgs emailed to the forum
   | would be bounced back w/ a notice/warning.

     Why?... I don't understand...

     What difference does it make
     to your list the origin of
     a message (whether send by
     email, or send online)?

                [ ] Rubens

Bruce Bowman

On Tue, Jun 30, 2020 at 07:02 PM, Erikag59 wrote:
I'm with Rubens here, puzzled why the OP would even ask for this.
This feature has been asked for several times, as has its complementary approach...some way to turn off the online message archive altogether, leaving the group email-only. I don't understand why either notion would be offensive to anyone.

Check out the new groups.io Help Center and groups.io Owners Manual

Glenn Glazer

On 6/30/2020 16:07, Bruce Bowman wrote:
On Tue, Jun 30, 2020 at 07:02 PM, Erikag59 wrote:
I'm with Rubens here, puzzled why the OP would even ask for this.
This feature has been asked for several times, as has its complementary approach...some way to turn off the online message archive altogether, leaving the group email-only. I don't understand why either notion would be offensive to anyone.

Ditto, I don't understand, either.

My groups are 100% email messaging. If it weren't for file uploads, none of them would ever even look at the website. I've had zero complaints about the availability of web messaging, even though nobody uses it.

Best,

Glenn

Ken,

Whoaboy, difficult to call out just one.
I know what you mean. I could compile a lengthy list.

But Mark's looking for priorities, hence his call for "the most important feature".

Help: https://groups.io/helpcenter

On Tue, Jun 30, 2020 at 08:55 PM, Shal Farley wrote:
I know what you mean.
After 2 days, I've managed to get my list down to 5 items.  I'll pick one by the end of the week.

Jack - GM4COX

On Tue, Jun 30, 2020 at 04:24 PM, Andy Wedge wrote:
You can modify the calendar URL with a 'calstart' parameter and that will take you anywhere you want to go.

.../calendar?calstart=2021-07-19
Thanks for the tip Andy. (now in Favourites for ease of recall) That works a lot better than the 'scroll back'. But not quite as elegant as Goggle's 'hotkey' G and others.

I'll add it to my various .IO Groups - Wiki.

Jack (;>J
GM4COX

Ken Kloeber

it eliminates those who refuse to reply to the correct email and or refuse to start a fresh email for a new topic    Everything has to post thru the web on the SMF I use on another forum and peeps reply from the screen they read so there’s very little, none in 3 years of posting to the wrong thread
As well it cuts down on the meaningless instant replies and inappropriate replies and spam   Peeps don’t have that instant reply ability and have time to think about idiotic replies

On Tue, Jun 30, 2020 at 12:47 PM, Rubens wrote:

KK| an option to restrict msg posting
| to web-only (i.e., like simple forums
| machine.) Msgs emailed to the forum
| would be bounced back w/ a notice/warning.

Why?... I don't understand...

What difference does it make
to your list the origin of
a message (whether send by
email, or send online)?

[ ] Rubens

.

Ken Kloeber

[additionally] attachments aren’t emailed, only the text so they’re viewed in the interface.  No re posting of attachments via email a gazillion times in replies and using up scant storage space.

Pat Pratt

Our groups set up photo reference albums. We would love to be able to re-arrange sequences of photos. Owners and  moderators are able to work around this some with rename of photo titles. But that can be a lot of work for a large batch that someone else has mistitled, or old files that were brought over from Yahoo.
--
Pat P

Duane

A reminder to those that are posting wishes here.  None of them will be considered unless you join the beta group and respond to the message that Mark posted, https://beta.groups.io/g/main/message/25618.  We WON'T be forwarding any of them.

BMaverick

Shaul,

THANKS!  Sent in our #1 dream item request.  It's basically DARK MODE.  Many of the board forums have a toggle in the upper right corner to change the background color dark, and font and icons lighter.  Nearly an inverse.  Computer screens just glare all day long and our eyes are strained and stressed.

Wing Python IDLE has scripts already for this.  We can only hope. :)

I'm using the FireFox Dark Reader, but it's an app and has to process each and every page.  Thus, there is a lag on page loading.  DARK MODE from a website is instant.

BMaverick

Currently the functionality of displaying how many items to see (20, 50, 100, or infinite scroll) on a page resides in the Member's Account Page under "Items Per Page".  Currently the default setting is 20 at Group level.

For a feature that I really want, I would like to see this feature moved up to the Group level so that Group owner can set it.  As a Group owner I would set it at "infinite scroll" because one should not have to click through many pages of a member list to see a member that  I am looking for who may appear on 7th page when the default size is 20 items/page.

If there are 160 members in the group, all of them will have to navigate to the Account Page to make lists scroll-able.  This can be avoided if the setting is done at the group level and not create extra burden on every member.

Chris Jones

On Thu, Jul 2, 2020 at 03:05 AM, Mahendra Bakshi wrote:
This can be avoided if the setting is done at the group level and not create extra burden on every member
Some members might find Infinite Scroll burdensome. IMHO it is much better to leave the choice to individual members.

Chris