Accidental email change

monamouroui

Hi - I was trying to log into my other groups.io account, but my browser loaded in this email address when I went to log in. But I typed over it with the address I wanted to use and mistyped it with an invalid address. But I never wanted to change my address to begin with and GIO is waiting for me to approve the email they sent to an invalid address.

So now, my other GIO account does not exist and I do not see how to recover it as GIO is waiting for me to confirm the other one, which will never happen because the email address is invalid.

I replied to the email GIO initially sent saying I had requested a change and it was awaiting a confirmation from the new address. Sigh ... any idea how I can cancel the request and put it back to my original address?

Thanks,
Sara

Sara,

Hi - I was trying to log into my other groups.io account, but my
browser loaded in this email address when I went to log in. But I
typed over it with the address I wanted to use and mistyped it with an
invalid address. But I never wanted to change my address to begin with
and GIO is waiting for me to approve the email they sent to an invalid
address.
The login page can't change an account email address.

So, you should be able to log out (if necessary) then log in using the correct email address.

The tentative account with the typo'd address will simply be orphaned. I don't know if it will be "cleaned up" after some time, but it really doesn't matter since it can't be logged into again nor can it participate in any groups (it is permanently NC status).

So now, my other GIO account does not exist ...
No, it is still there. All you need to do is log into it (without the typo this time).

I replied to the email GIO initially sent saying I had requested a
change and it was awaiting a confirmation from the new address. Sigh
... any idea how I can cancel the request and put it back to my
original address?
Now wait a minute, you've confused me.

I thought you were at the login page when you made the typo. Were you actually at your account page? As far as I know that's the only way you could be sent a message about a change: enter a new address on the Account page and click "Change Email".

But it still doesn't matter. If you don't (can't) confirm the change request then the change does not occur. Again the answer is to log out (if needed) and log back in using the correct address.

Help: https://groups.io/helpcenter

On Sat, Nov 14, 2020 at 01:44 PM, monamouroui wrote:
I replied to the email GIO initially sent saying I had requested a change and it was awaiting a confirmation from the new address.
Sara -- That email is just a notification, and replying to it does nothing. You have to reply to the "confirmation from the new address."

If that address does not exist, no one can reply, and the address change will never be completed.

Sigh ... any idea how I can cancel the request and put it back to my original address?
As Shal stated, you shouldn't have to do anything. Simply log back in with your original address.

monamouroui

I cannot log back in with my original address because when I try it says there is no account with that address.

To Shall, looks like I must have been in the account change page and was asking to change my email address. Which was not my intention.

From what both of you have said, I'm hoping it will time out and my original account will be restored. Meanwhile, I've  emailed support.

Thanks for the help. Much appreciated.

Sara

Sara,

I cannot log back in with my original address because when I try it
says there is no account with that address.
Hmm... re-reading your original post...

I replied to the email GIO initially sent saying I had requested a
change and it was awaiting a confirmation from the new address.
Oh dear.

Perhaps your reply to that notice approved the address change. So it did take effect. And now your account has a bad address that is NC status.

From what both of you have said, I'm hoping it will time out and my
original account will be restored.
Fingers crossed, but I don't really know if there is such a timeout.

Meanwhile, I've emailed support.
That is probably your only recourse.

But then there's that problematic notice:

"Due to the current volume of support email, we can only answer messages
sent from owners of Premium groups at this time."
https://groups.io/helpcenter

Perhaps it is time for a #suggestion to beta that Mark reevaluate that limitation. Or at least elevate account-related issues regardless of the users' group roles.

And/or a #suggestion that account-related notices require a more affirmative response than a simple reply in order to confirm the action - particularly for actions that must have been initiated on the web.

If the email from GIO you replied to didn't clearly say that a reply would confirm the action, then that might qualify as a #bug, but would at least be a #suggestion to clarify the wording.

If you, Sara, make either suggestion then you can include a brief description of your experience as motivation for the #suggestion. That may be an alternative path to getting Mark to reach out to you.
https://beta.groups.io/g/main/guidelines

Help: https://groups.io/helpcenter

monamouroui

Shal, I think it is a sort of bug. I'll try to explain.

I have 2 GIO accounts. This one and a second one I use for personal or work related items.

I recently inherited a GIO group when our owner passed away last month. In fact, you and other group owners here might know him as he ran the List-help group at Yahoo, John T (Torpey).

I wanted to see what happens when a new member subscribes to the group by requesting membership from my other account.

When I went into the other account to request it, I must have accidentally gone to the wrong URL and was in the change the email address. In the right hand corner, I typed in my other email address, but it wouldn't let me. There was a message, but I cannot recall it. So then I retyped this email address, but apparently I misspelled it.

Now this is the odd part and is something I think GIO should reflect on. I did not get an email to my other GIO ID asking if I requested the change. I only received an email with this content:

Hello,
This is to notify you that you have changed the email address of your Groups.io account from xyz@gmail.com to abc@.... We have sent a confirmation email to your new email address. Once you reply to that confirmation email, you will again be able to participate in your groups. All your Groups.io subscriptions will be transferred to your new email address.

Cheers,
The Groups.io Team

Seems to me, this would be an easy way to steal groups. I think I should get an email from GIO asking if I had in fact requested the change and saying if yes, then go confirm it at the other address. If no, then do something else. Then again, I can see how if a previous email address gets lost, you wouldn't be able to go to it to approve changing your GIO ID. It's complicated.

As it stands right now, my other GIO ID does not exist and I cannot log into it to go to my groups, one of which I own. However, this email address I am using does have a Premium account associated with it. That group is not the one I inherited from John.

Hopefully though, after a couple of days when I don't confirm the email at the new address it will revert back to me.

Sara

Duane

On Sun, Nov 15, 2020 at 07:07 AM, monamouroui wrote:
Seems to me, this would be an easy way to steal groups.
I don't think so.  Someone would need access to your GIO account in order to request the change.

One other thing I can think of for you to try to get things back to normal.  Try logging in with the misspelled email address, using the original password for that account.  If that succeeds, change the email address back to the correct one.

monamouroui

Perfect! That worked. It took a few tries on the password and of course the address was bouncing. But once I picked the correct password, logged in, went to my account and changed my email back to the correct one.

Thanks, Duane and Shal for your help!

Sara

On Sun, Nov 15, 2020 at 09:02 AM, Duane wrote:
One other thing I can think of for you to try to get things back to normal.  Try logging in with the misspelled email address, using the original password for that account.  If that succeeds, change the email address back to the correct one.

Ken Cameron

Sara,

Does the email show the bad address? At least confirming the typo made. I
too would expect it to time out after not being confirmed. I'd also expect
that it should happen quickly if the attempt to send the confirmation
resulted in a bounce, meaning the bad address is invalid. The catch I see is
if the bad address is some valid email and whoever that is does respond to
that confirmation email.

I think the reason it doesn't do a confirmation via the old address is that
many people, when they have to change addresses, the old address has already
closed and they can't access it. Groups is using the fact that you knew the
password at Groups for the login as being a valid person to request the
change. That's my take on it.

-Ken Cameron, Member JMRI Dev Team
www.jmri.org
www.fingerlakeslivesteamers.org
www.cnymod.org
www.syracusemodelrr.org

Sara,

Glad to read that Duane had the right idea to help you straighten this out.

I recently inherited a GIO group when our owner passed away last
month. In fact, you and other group owners here might know him as he
ran the List-help group at Yahoo, John T (Torpey).
Indeed I do, very sad to hear of his passing.

I first started using Yahoo Groups in 2003; he and ListHelp were already there mentoring us noobs. I did not know him "IRL", but over the years had many email conversations with him both on and off list. His energy and helpfulness helped draw me in to the Yahoo Group moderators community.

When I went into the other account to request it, I must have
accidentally gone to the wrong URL and was in the change the email
address. In the right hand corner, I typed in my other email address,
but it wouldn't let me. There was a message, but I cannot recall it.
When you attempt to change your email address to one that already has a Groups.io account there is a message asking if you want to merge the accounts. That's an action fraught with consequences if both accounts are active members/mods/owners of various groups.

So then I retyped this email address, but apparently I misspelled it.
Ah. When the new address is not yet in use at Groups.io then you are allowed to change it without much fuss.

Now this is the odd part and is something I think GIO should reflect
on. I did not get an email to my other GIO ID asking if I requested
the change. I only received an email with this content:

Hello,
This is to notify you that you have changed the email address of your
Groups.io account ...
Thinking about this on a new day I see the same thing you realized: a confirmation from the old address is not required because then there would be no way to switch away from an address that you could no longer use (for whatever reason).

Help: https://groups.io/helpcenter

Joseph Hudson

I've had this happen to me. Back a while ago, I went to change my email address and I entered it in wrong. I was able to have somebody email me the address that was in the members list. And I was able to login with my current password and change it back on my profile. So you should be able to do the same as long as you remember what your password is.address.

On Nov 14, 2020, at 4:27 PM, monamouroui <monamouroui@gmail.com> wrote:

I cannot log back in with my original address because when I try it says there is no account with that address.

To Shall, looks like I must have been in the account change page and was asking to change my email address. Which was not my intention.

From what both of you have said, I'm hoping it will time out and my original account will be restored. Meanwhile, I've emailed support.