Adding fields to Membership list in groups.io

Vincent Kanimea

Is there a way to add fields for a members lists for reporting purposes.

I have recently migrated a no. of lists from lyris and in lyris there is feature that allows list owners to add fields to the existing membership. For example, Country and Institution fields for reporting purposes.

At the moment, I am looking into database option in groups.io to re-import the members list in a table to add these 2 additional fields.
To extract data for reporting purposes, I am looking at using Groups.io API to select the appropriate list and its’ database data.

However this proposed solutions means that every time a member gets added to the list, we will need to update the database with the additional fields i.e Country, Institution.

Has anyone tried this option or is there a better way to go about this?

Bruce Bowman

On Tue, Nov 23, 2021 at 05:21 AM, Vincent Kanimea wrote:
Is there a way to add fields for a members lists for reporting purposes.
Vincent -- This is not an available feature.

However this proposed solutions means that every time a member gets added to the list, we will need to update the database with the additional fields i.e Country, Institution.
Yes, that will be a hassle.

Has anyone tried this option or is there a better way to go about this?
Some people have found a way to embed some information in the Display Name, but that doesn't sound optimal in your case.

The member list can be exported as a CSV file and subsequently imported into Excel. After adding the supplemental info, you could then upload the Excel file to the Files area.

You could also ask everyone to create a group Profile and populate this data themselves; but you cannot do it for them, nor is there a good way to force them to do it.

I hope this helps, but it probably doesn't. If anyone has come up with a truly viable work-around, I don't recall hearing about it.

On Tue, Nov 23, 2021 at 05:21 AM, Vincent Kanimea wrote:
Is there a way to add fields for a members lists for reporting purposes.
VIncent -- There's also a "Member Notes" feature. To access it, select any member from the list and click the "notes" button at the top of the resulting page. Populate this with whatever you want and click Update.

This information is only accessible via the web interface, and even then, only by Moderators with sufficient permissions. It is not exported along with the member list, so its use for "reporting purposes" is probably zero; but I would be remiss if I failed to mention it.