"Save & send to group" #bug

Sarah Procter Abbott

When we edit and save messages, no problem, but when after editing we click "save and send to group", they are not being sent to the group.

Would you kindly check for me?

Thanks again for the great io!

Sarah

Andy Wedge

On Tue, Nov 16, 2021 at 10:16 AM, Sarah Procter Abbott wrote:
When we edit and save messages, no problem, but when after editing we click "save and send to group", they are not being sent to the group.

Would you kindly check for me?
It works OK for me. The edit is shown in the archive and I received an email copy as expected.

Regards
Andy

Chris Jones

On Tue, Nov 16, 2021 at 10:16 AM, Sarah Procter Abbott wrote:
Would you kindly check for me?
For the avoidance of doubt... we cannot check what is happening in your group. The Group Managers Forum is a peer to peer group intended for those individuals who own or moderate groups; it is not a group of managers at, or employed by, Groups.io.

There is no reason to doubt the accuracy of Andy W's post, but his report applies to his group, not yours.

I suggest that you have a look at your Activity Log to see if there any clues there.

Edited

Sarah -- If you're not receiving the edited message via email, it could be that it's been diverted by your email provider as a dupe. Check with others to be sure.

Sarah Procter Abbott

Andy
On Tue, Nov 16, 2021 at 10:16 AM, Sarah Procter Abbott wrote:
When we edit and save messages, no problem, but when after editing we click "save and send to group", they are not being sent to the group.

Would you kindly check for me?
It works OK for me. The edit is shown in the archive and I received an email copy as expected.
Sarah: Oh, that's interesting. You receive an email (if that's how you elect to read mail) but the edited post doesn't get sent to the list again. I thought that "save and send to group" meant it gets edited and send to the website messages. After all, isn't that the group and wouldn't that be a good option?

Sarah

Regards
Andy

Sarah Procter Abbott

Chris

Thx for your feedback

On Tue, Nov 16, 2021 at 10:16 AM, Sarah Procter Abbott wrote:
Would you kindly check for me?
For the avoidance of doubt... we cannot check what is happening in your group. The Group Managers Forum is a peer to peer group intended for those individuals who own or moderate groups; it is not a group of managers at, or employed by, Groups.io.
S: Yes, I appreciate that. I've been an owner and moderator of a busy group for a long time. I wasn't suggesting anyone check my group but test it in their own group.
There is no reason to doubt the accuracy of Andy W's post, but his report applies to his group, not yours.

I suggest that you have a look at your Activity Log to see if there any clues there.
S: the Activity log shows the post was edited. I had never used the "save and send" function as opposed to the "save" function after editing before. We had assumed that the "send" part referred to re-sending the edited post to the website group. Clearly it just means sending an email (if that is the delivery option) to the poster.

Sarah

Sarah Procter Abbott

Bruce

Sarah -- If you're not receiving the edited message via email, it could be that it's been diverted by your email provider as a dupe. Check with others to be sure.
Thanks. The email was sent but I mistakenly thought the edited post would be sent to the group on the website.

Sarah

Sarah Procter Abbott

Andy & all

One other question: you receive an email when clicking the above. Do other people who receive messages by email receive it too or just the sender?

Thanks for your help.

Sarah

Andy Wedge

On Thu, Nov 18, 2021 at 11:30 AM, Sarah Procter Abbott wrote:
Oh, that's interesting. You receive an email (if that's how you elect to read mail) but the edited post doesn't get sent to the list again.
I received an email copy of the edited message that was posted to the message archive.

I thought that "save and send to group" meant it gets edited and send to the website messages.
Yes, and that's what happened for me. The 'website messages' you refer to is the message archive.

Regards
Andy

Andy Wedge

On Thu, Nov 18, 2021 at 11:31 AM, Sarah Procter Abbott wrote:
We had assumed that the "send" part referred to re-sending the edited post to the website group. Clearly it just means sending an email (if that is the delivery option) to the poster.
The 'save' is just updating the message archive.  The 'send' is also emailing the updated message to your group members and they will receive that according to their subscription settings.  The 'send' is in addition to the 'save'.

Regards
Andy

Duane

On Thu, Nov 18, 2021 at 05:31 AM, Sarah Procter Abbott wrote:
We had assumed that the "send" part referred to re-sending the edited post to the website group. Clearly it just means sending an email (if that is the delivery option) to the poster.
I think you're misunderstanding.  If you edit someone's message, the "save" will change it in the group archive online and send a copy to the person that posted it.  If you "save and send", everyone that uses email gets a copy and the archive message is updated.  There will be an Edited button at the upper right of the changed message where everyone can see what was changed.  (This also applies if your group allows editing and someone edits their own message.)  If you go to Messages view, the bottom line of that message will have additional information added after the original posted date/time as to when it was edited and that will also be a link to the edit revision page.

Lots of detailed information can be found in the Owners Manual and Members Manual.

Bruce Bowman

On Thu, Nov 18, 2021 at 06:31 AM, Sarah Procter Abbott wrote:
The email was sent but I mistakenly thought the edited post would be sent to the group on the website.
Ah, I think I get it now.

Yes, if you were expecting two separate messages to show up (i.e: to keep the original one in its original position), it doesn't quite work that way. In the online message archive, the new version replaces what was there, but retains the original message's date/timestamp, position within a thread, etc.

You (and everyone else in the group) can still bring up the previous one by clicking the baby-blue Edited link at upper right. But that's not particularly convenient, nor does it accurately reflect the sequence of emails that have gone out.

If you wish to retain a draft message that can be updated with minor changes and re-sent periodically, that's best done within your email client.