Post To Moderated Topic Was Posted Without Permission #moderation

David B

I have a topic that was moderated:

Someone posted to the topic and the message went through.
I checked the activity log and no moderator approved the message.
How does this happen?

Thanks.

Duane

On Sat, Aug 7, 2021 at 12:05 PM, David B wrote:
Someone posted to the topic and the message went through.
Did they Reply to the topic or start another topic with the same title?  I've seen people use that to get around this, both intentionally and unintentionally.  If it was a reply, then that would seem to be a bug that should be reported.

Lots of detailed information can be found in the Owners Manual and Members Manual.

Pete Cook

Also check that member's posting privileges.

Malcolm Austen

Is their posting privilege set to " Override: not moderated" ?

Malcolm.

--
Malcolm Austen - email: malcolm.austen@...

Andy Wedge

On Sat, Aug 7, 2021 at 06:05 PM, David B wrote:
Someone posted to the topic and the message went through.
I checked the activity log and no moderator approved the message.
How does this happen?
Did the post have an attachment? I have found that checks on attachments seem to get done before others such as checks for locked topics so it may be have got through that way.  I have previously reported and issue around this on Beta but have seen no movement on it so far.

Andy

Bruce Bowman

On Sat, Aug 7, 2021 at 01:05 PM, David B wrote:
I have a topic that was moderated:

[image]

Someone posted to the topic and the message went through.
David -- Go into Topics view to make sure they are actually within the same topic.

As Duane suggested, if someone selects New Topic via the web interface (as opposed to Reply), someone can start a new topic with the same subject line and they won't be threaded together. The same thing happens if an email is received with the same subject line after two days but the incoming message does not contain a reply indicator (Reply-to: field in the header, or Re: in the subject line).

Why? If someone uses a common, nondescript subject line such as "Help," you really don't want them all threaded together into one long topic, until the end of time.

See also https://groups.io/helpcenter/ownersmanual/1/additional-information/topic-threading-algorithm

David B

Thank you all for your responses.

Duane:  The reply was to the same topic.

Peter, Malcolm:  The member's posting privilege had been set to "Override:  not moderated".  This must be the problem.  When some members were added to the group, I wanted to avoid requiring a moderator to approve the first few messages from the person.

Andy:  No attachments.

Bruce:  Good point.  We moderators have been encouraging the members to put some thought into their subject lines.  (I hate seeing subjects like "Help" or "Newbie Question".)

David,

The member's posting privilege had been set to "Override: not
moderated". *This must be the problem.* When some members were added
to the group, I wanted to avoid requiring a moderator to approve the
first few messages from the person.
A common mistake.

The more useful choice would be "Use Group Moderation Setting". For a group that doesn't moderate all messages that would effectively unmoderate the person, without overriding other causes of moderating given messages.

Help: https://groups.io/helpcenter

David B

Shal,

Thanks.  If I were to switch everyone from "Override: not moderated" to "Use Group Moderation Setting", would moderators have to approve messages for those that have already posted the required 2 messages?

Frances

On Sun, Aug 8, 2021 at 08:14 PM, David B wrote:
Thanks.  If I were to switch everyone from "Override: not moderated" to "Use Group Moderation Setting", would moderators have to approve messages for those that have already posted the required 2 messages?

Everyone would be set to whatever you have as your group moderation setting.

This part of the system Help talks about group moderation settings:
https://groups.io/helpcenter/ownersmanual/1/customizing-group-settings/spam-control-and-moderation-settings?single=true

Check your settings in Admin, Settings, Spam Control.
There are several choices there.
You have to choose at least one. If your group is restricted, you don't have to choose anything else.
However some owners like to moderate new members for a message or two.
Then you can save moderating status for a "bad actor"!

Help available from Groups.io help and GMF wiki.

David,

If I were to switch everyone from "Override: not moderated" to
"Use Group Moderation Setting", would moderators have to approve
messages for those that have already posted the required 2 messages?
No.

The approval count only applies to members whose Posting Privileges is set to "Override: new member moderated". That's the default when a new member joins if your group has "New Members Moderated" checked.

When you approve the required number of messages from that member (or if you use the "Approve & Unmoderate Sender" button) the effect is to set the member's Posting Privileges to "Use Group Moderation Setting". Which is the default if you don't have "New Members Moderated" checked.

Help: https://groups.io/helpcenter

David B

Thanks all.  I switched everyone to "Use Group Moderation Setting". -- David

Mdivine

It is confusing to me also.
i have a topic that was switched to moderate.

If i approve a reply and it goes out. …
members who are on individual messages appear to be able to reply to those posted  messages (setting is rely to group and sender) via a reply to all and it goes thru unmoderated. My group has about half on individual messages and half on summaries.

Is it dependent on topics being on moderated at all times? Or is there no way to prevent individual messages from being moderated.? I have unrestricted but like ability to make a discussion moderated if it gets going sideways too much.

md

Bruce Bowman

On Mon, Aug 9, 2021 at 01:16 PM, Mdivine wrote:
If i approve a reply and it goes out. …
members who are on individual messages appear to be able to reply to those posted  messages (setting is rely to group and sender) via a reply to all and it goes thru unmoderated.
M -- If your setting is "reply to group and sender," and the recipient of an outgoing email clicks Reply in their email client, two emails are sent...one back to the group and the other directly to the sender. Only the one that went to the group goes into moderation. The other one never passes through groups.io and thus cannot be moderated.

Is it dependent on topics being on moderated at all times? Or is there no way to prevent individual messages from being moderated.?
You can moderate a topic via an override; but not a message. The only way to moderate individual messages is to moderate all posts to the group; but even that won't head off one that goes directly to the sender.

In summary, it sounds like you need to change your Reply-to setting to "group."

Hope this helps,

Mdivine

Thanks, thought that might be case.

Will try that.

I was trying to moderate the whole topic, but is seemed like replies were going out to the group. Will change and see if that fits the best needs.

mdivine