question about a hashtag feature #hashtags #messages

Jonathan Sivier

I have some hashtags set up on my lists that have the Special attribute and that can only be used by moderators. However, anyone can reply to these messages. They are intended for announcement messages, but with the possibility of people on the list replying to ask for more information, etc. I assumed that the initial message would be sent as a Special Notice, but that replies would just be normal, not Special. However, it seems that sometimes the replies do get the Special attribute. I haven't really tried all possible combinations, so I'm not sure what is happening. I thought that perhaps when a moderator replied to the message it would be given the Special attribute again, but I think I have seen messages from regular list members do the same. What determines if a message is Special? Is it just the [special] prefix on the subject line, or is there some flag somewhere that is set? Has anyone else noticed any strange behavior with these sort of messages?

Thanks.

Jonathan

Bob Bellizzi

Have you checked the excellent Help manuals, both for owners/moderators and members?
And also for first time group owners.
Use the Help link at the upper right of your screen on computers.
Any email or online post that was written using a Reply function will automatically keep the Subject and the Special Hashtag I think.

--
Bob Bellizzi
FuchsFriends@groups.io online  support  group for corneal dystrophy patients & caregivers

Andy Wedge

On Fri, Jun 25, 2021 at 09:26 PM, Jonathan Sivier wrote:
I assumed that the initial message would be sent as a Special Notice, but that replies would just be normal, not Special.
That's how it works. I've done some testing and cannot replicate the issue you describe.  The initial special message will have a subject prefix of [Special] and if a regular member replies to that by email, it is removed and the message also goes out as a normal message.  If you moderate messages on your group while testing this you will see a 'Special' badge next to a pending message.The fact that a Special badge is shown before an outgoing email is created with the [Special] subject prefix shows that there must be an internal flag for this.

A reply from a member does not show the Special badge and so does not have that attribute.

(Note: I could not see a reference to this badge in the Owner's Manual so I've just flagged that in the docs subgroup)

Andy

Andy Wedge

On Mon, Jun 28, 2021 at 02:36 PM, Andy Wedge wrote:
a subject prefix of [Special] and if a regular member replies to that by email, it is removed
I must correct myself. The [Special] subject prefix is not removed (I was looking at the wrong test message) but it does still go as a normal message.

Andy